In need of KTM Mechanic (Virginia): Cleaning rehaul- After difficult starts, Intake popping

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by slowedtrans, Nov 4, 2019.

1. slowedtrans

slowedtrans Using the search function poorly.

Oddometer:
    Hello Advriders,

I have sadly watched my summer riding escape me. Unfortunately, earlier this summer I was unable to get the my 2004 KTM 950 Adventure started. It became very difficult to start and with the air intake removed I could see gas popping back out of the carbs.

Juggling multiple car and bicycle projects I decided to get someone to tackle the troubleshooting. A local recommend 'KTM Mechanic' was given to me by DC's Motorcycle Facebook group. He seemed knowledgeable of LC8's and KTM and could handle getting it back on the road.

This turned out to be nightmare. 4.5 months and he was never able to repair anything. Constantly delays and even worse I was not able to trouble shoot my self because the bike away from me. He said he ordered two 'carb kits' but they ended up being the wrong ones. At this point I don't know what actually ever got done. I don't think he ever removed the carbs to clean.

That aside, I would love to find someone local who actually has knowledge on these bikes. I may end up just working on it through the winter, as passing off to a mechanic was suppose to free me up to ride in the summer / fall quicker. Anyone have mechanic or shop they could recommend? I am starting to lose trust in others who say they are qualified.
  2. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate hearing these bad experiences.

Provide us with some more info and I'm sure the brain trust can help you get the ole girl back up and running. How many miles on the bike? When was the last time the valve were adjusted? Do you have the bike back in your possession and have you tried starting it again with the same results?

Popping back through the carbs generally doesn't indicate a carb rebuild is in order. Could be valves needing adjustment.
    nk14zp and mountaincadre like this.
  3. slowedtrans

Oddometer:

Bike is at 26K Miles, and the valves were done at ~20K Miles (as per previous owner records). The bike is back in my possession, but have not had time to charge the battery and attempt another start.

More detail about the bike troubles. I believe the owner has done a canisterectomy. I can get confused at where all the hoses go when just taking the tanks off. I have had this bike for almost 3 years but haven't really figured it it out. When I was last riding regularly I noticed gas would be overflowing from the left side clear hose. At idle gas would spill out of this hose. Right before the bike stopped running, it was straining the the starter as it was cranking (battery full). Almost as if it was going to backfire through the exhaust. Eventually I couldn't get it started and would see the gas popping back up the carb.
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh... ok. Do you trust what the previous owner said?

The hose on the left side,,, is it the large ~1/2" clear hose that comes down around the countershaft sprocket? If yes, that is the airbox drain. Fuel running out of there could be a number of things.... hole in a fuel line,,, leaking fuel inlet orings,,, or even stuck float valves.

The fact that you say the starter was laboring may mean fuel over flowing and flooding the cylinders. Were both the front and rear popping back?

If you want to tackle this I'm sure we can help. There are some pretty good mechanics on here.

Has that battery been dead for a while? If so it maybe worth getting a fresh battery to start. Diagnosing this stuff with a battery that is compromised is a losing battle.
  5. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's your schedule like? I'm about 3 hours west of you and would not only be willing to fix your bike but if you had a day or so you would be welcome to watch and help. In my opinion if you own one of these beast you need to at the very least be familiar with pulling them apart and addressing basic issues they're known for and perform basic service needs correctly.
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only time I had issues with backfiring up the carbs on of the choke cables was not seated properly in the hole on the carb.

Guess sticking cables that go down there could cause issues also. Not uncommon the them to start breaking over time.

I would start looking over them.

/Johan
    mountaincadre, nk14zp and Boatman like this.
  7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what makes this place great!!!. May karma smile on you MCCOYBOY.
    mountaincadre and Boatman like this.
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best get the beer in.
    nk14zp likes this.
  9. Lorretto

Lorretto City Dweller Crushperado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on McCoyboy's generous offer.

I have a number of his parts on my KTM. Thanks Chris.

If your schedules don't match up, you have some options - Ken at head2wind {Vendor advmachines.com} used to service 950 carbs not sure if he still does. You could try to ungunk the carbs yourself to see if you can clear whatever is causing the carbs to fail.

If you haven't already looked at the Hall of Wisdom at the top of the OC Page check out the the "HOW" for carbs.

Ken did a detailed review of rejetting http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange Garage/carbs and FI/Jetting/H2W_kit/h2w_kit.html which will guide you on tearing into the carbs to rejet but you can take it a step further from there to clean them out. I think he also did a YouTube video on servicing the carbs so try a search. It sounds like you have more than one carb issue going on. The float valve may be stuck open and could be clogged jets or there is blockage somewhere on the enrichment circuit

I'm in DC but no wrench by any stretch. I have only gone as far as rejetting and adjusting the floats on the carbs on my bike - I struggle and very slow but did get the job done. I would be willing to take a look but if McCoyBoy gets into the City, he would be light years ahead of any help I could offer.

Years ago I took my bike to Ellicott City Motorsports when my bike was under warranty in the mid-2000s. I don't know what the service department is like now but I would think they could solve the carb problem very quickly if all else fails.
    slowedtrans likes this.
  10. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My offer extends to any and all so if you ever need or want to do something to your adv just bring it on up and I'll show you how to do whatever. I have everything needed to do anything from suspension service to full engine overhaul.
  11. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yon boys a star, and a reprobate.
  12. slowedtrans

Oddometer:
    I take a short break from the forum and flooded with support! :)

Yes, I need to get comfortable servicing this bike. I really only simple stuff such as the oil changes, tires, and chains on it. I can say I have been pretty spoiled in the maintenance areas. My previous rides have been the set and forget types: Honda shadow, Suzuki V-strom, and Yamaha XSR900. My riding dwindled over the months and so did my maintenance of the beast. The bike is back in my possession and looking to getting it tip top.

Going to Send a MCCOYBOY a pm now.