In Saigon for a month

Discussion in 'Asia' started by AlienMotorcycleMama, Jul 18, 2019.

1. AlienMotorcycleMama

AlienMotorcycleMama Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!

Now that I've survived New Zealand, the hot and humid pre-monsoon season in Goa, and am in the midst of the Goa monsoon, I'm heading to Vietnam for a month beginning July 30.

I will be volunteer teaching English in Saigon (4 hours a day, five days a week), so won't get any further north than central Vietnam. But I will rent a bike and if any of you can tell me about nice rides in the south that I can do in an afternoon or long weekend, let me know.

I prefer to check out nature spots, and have marked several islands, national parks and bird sanctuaries as "to dos," but would love to know nice ways to get there.

And since I've been riding my XZ150 in India for the last 2.5 years, I gather I houldn't have any trouble riding in Vietnam.

Thanks!
  2. crazy cat

crazy cat Crazy cat

Oddometer:
    Hi con dau is my fav orate island in the south. 45minute flight from Saigon. If you fly to Dalat and rent a bike you can ride to lien son and stay at lak lake very nice.cheers
  3. AlienMotorcycleMama

Oddometer:
    Made it to HCMC two weeks ago. Rented a Honda 150cc bike for a month at a very good price from Dragon Motorcycles in HCMC (run by an American expat) and have ridden to the farthest south point on the Indochinese mainland, Cape Ca Mau and now I'm sitting in a cabin just outside Cat Tien National Park, where I'll go hiking and photographing birds/critters the next two days.

I guess being used to India's horrible drivers/roads is the reason Vietnam feels like a breeze. I'm happy to be back on the right (literally and figuratively) side of the road, and even the massive crowds in the city don't bother me.

Hoping I'll have time for a run to Dalat before I go back. (I'm doing this on the cheap and teaching English, so have three days off a week.
  4. EMGuero

EMGuero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed Dalat. Some decent waterfalls around there to see. Phan Rang and Mui Ne were also pretty nice, decent beach spots with a few sand dune areas to check out.

ANAN Saigon is a great restaurant you should stop by as well if you want a good upscale local dinner.
  5. AlienMotorcycleMama

Oddometer:
    I'll put it in the GPS and see how far it is from me. Thanks for the info!