In search of good routes around Mt. Solon, VA

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by UpST8, Aug 6, 2008.

1. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there have any good GPX files for routes within 100 miles of Mt. Solon, VA. I am planning on scooting out there Saturday morning to camp in Natural Chimneys Park and will stay around until Sunday late afternoon. Would like to do some riding around Skyline and BRPW, but would also like to get off the cage beaten path for some out of the way rides. I will be sporting a K7 Wee Strom with Deathwings and bags, so nothing too crazy......just enough to make it fun :D Any and all help / advice is greatly appreciated. Ride On!:evil
  2. HBN

HBN lostwithmike.com

Oddometer:
    I live up in Harrisonburg and ride around that area often. There are some lakes and paved forest roads close to Natural Chimneys in the George Washington National Forest such as Elkhorn Lake and Todd Lake.
    US-42 is a scenic highway route and is beautiful and smooth for miles southward through Buffalo Gap.
    You can get on the BRP in Afton where Skyline Drive ends or get on Skyline Drive in Elkton(Swiftrun Gap). As for the unpaved roads: Blacksan may be helpful in obtaining a local national park fire road map (pdf). Sorry no GPX files for you.
  3. UpST8

Oddometer:
    Cool :evil Thanks for the info! I will look for these on my map routing /trip planning venture tonight. If I receive no GPX files perhaps I can get some out once I return. Ride on....
  4. UpST8

Oddometer:
    Well, I am off tomorrow at o dark thirty for Natural Chimneys Park. Wish I had more time, but I am going to get the most out of it. I plotted a route that will take me from VA Beach to Suffolk, south of Richmond to Lynchburg then up the BRPW, little bit of Skyline and into Mt. Solon. I also plotted a couple loops around the forest roads of West VA. The way home will be all backroads north of the James river to VA Beach. Expect a full ride report with pics, tracks, routes and waypoints upon my return :D
  5. UpST8

Oddometer:
    2 days and 842 miles later I am back at the homestead.:D Great ride! Loved all of it except the flat, straight roads the last 50 miles coming back into the beach. Will have some pics, tracks and a report tomorrow night. I can't put many thoughts together right now.....bit road weary.
  6. UpST8

Oddometer:
    As promised here are the tracks from the trip, sorry if they look a little straight line. I had the breadcrumb maker set for every 20 seconds to try and save some memory space. Should have bumped it down to 1 second for the memorable stuff, BRPW....SkyLine Drive......Route 250! (WOW!! Kicks ass), Route 30 through George Washington, ( another kick ass road) and some Country back roads in West Virginia (their names escape me, but kick major ass indeed) I will put the pics and actual report in the appropriate thread for anyone interested.
  7. HBN

HBN lostwithmike.com

Oddometer:
    I will be looking at the 60CSX come spring. Will definitely upload your tracks once I get it.