In Search of Stoke.......... AK summer 18

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Colemanfu, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Hope you AK inmates are thawing out up there. Already full on summer at the Worlds Most Famous Beach. We escaped the heat for a weekend rip in TN/NC. Here's the latest fodder vid :rofl

My Gopro is wildly popular with the other riders :deal
  2. AK650

AK650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    49th State Brewery in Healy is worth a stop(I've had hit/miss trips to the Anchorage location). Good brew and food. Silver Gulch in Fairbanks has very good food. Their beer is OK, but nothing earth shaking. IMO. Bearpaw Brewing on the Palmer-Wasilla Hwy has very good beer. If you catch them on the right night, a food truck will be there. If not, there is excellent Thai food next door. All of the breweries on the Kenai Peninsula have pretty damn good suds IMO. If you like riding motorcycles, and drinking beer......you're going to like it here! :)

Forgot to add Denali Brewing in Talkeetna. Great place for food and suds.

Jeff
    akgsa and Colemanfu like this.
  3. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Well, kenai river brewery has gotten themselves into some political trouble with the locals....and we're boycotting them. So stop in just before the turnoff at Saint Elias brewery and pizza. Let me know, and I may meet you there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
  4. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Great info @akgsa & @AK650 - exactly what I was seakin , thanks for taking the time to share! I'll add em to my list. :clap
    I need to make a proper brewery map or chart em out along my track?

And the full length presentation from the weekend. A 21 min vid of the typical Team Wanker road trip - weighting and de weighting a dirt bike, single track stoke and the usual "trail closures".
    This was my last big trip before packing up and departing to search for stoke the first week of June.

FASTRacing likes this.
  5. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless you enjoy excellent food and quality beer. Kenai river brewing is (in my opinion) the best food, service and local beer in slowdotna
    Colemanfu likes this.
  6. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips on the suds - keep em coming :clap

Just over a month away and prep has begun. Van just got the 50,000 mile $ervice, rebuilt my Scotts cheater gold box and yesterday got a new fatty front and new nitro pool noodle, and did an oil change. I'll carry a spare rear Ibex and add swap when needed. I'll also bring an extra rear tube in case my current rear drilled pool noodle gets too soft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dogmanfu is along for this ADV. She's excited to meet some AK workin dogs!

And the "Stoke" vid from our latest trip to TN/NC. 2 min of stoke and only the stoke.

FASTRacing likes this.
  7. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    B854B71C-2EC4-4DFB-96DC-3120A2839A25.jpeg
    Piston
    GSAnderson likes this.
  8. PistonPants

Oddometer:
    126F7E2A-B36F-435E-9648-6C4DD4482F47.jpeg

Piston
  9. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    As usual Piston, great pics!
    PistonPants likes this.
  10. PistonPants

Oddometer:
    Location, location, location.
    AK650 and Solarmoose like this.
  11. Wilkrider

Wilkrider Pain Doc

Oddometer:
    Moving up there in Dec 18 with my katoom 990 and WR250R. Hoping for great rides. Spokanistan has been amazing.
  12. JeepAlaska

JeepAlaska n00b

Oddometer:
    You’ll love it
  13. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year! Before this thread withers on the vine I wanted to share a few thoughts on the trip.

Came and went - totally life altering stoke filled experience and Mrs. Manfu and I are already talkin about a return in 2020. If you're on the fence do it!
    Daytona to AK and back - 13,000 miles and just under 7 weeks. It was a boondockers dream. Only 5 paid camp sites for a total of 7 nights out of the entire trip. Most importantly 26 different breweries with our favorite suds being Denali Brewing Big DIPA!

[​IMG]

The biggest take away was the generosity of the people we met along the way.
    100% the most positive interactions I've ever experienced in all my years of travel.
    Complete strangers showing high levels on hospitality just to assure we had a unforgettable trip. So much so that it changes how I interact with the tourists we meet here at the beach.
    My favorite move was when a resident would grab may phone, open the map app and drop a pin add their contact info along with an invite to moochdock.

I made a few quick vids, here are some of the biggies.

4th of July car launch. Yea, they throw cars off a cliff????

The best ride of my life cut short - Danger in Denali!

D2D was fantastic! The biker games were like a real time version of "Jo Mama" threads down in the basement! :rofl

And my personal favorite - the stokelapse! 25 or so time lapse vids I shot from the trip.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the stoke Alaska! :super
  14. PistonPants

Oddometer:
    Nice recap of your trip. Great videos. It was great to meet you guys this summer. Thanks for the Christmas card. See you in 2020. No Scott stone next time!

Peace
    Piston
  15. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    And the latest from the production room (six month later :norton) our last stop - some Hatcher Pass dickery, a few brewery visits and some animals in Palmer.

One more to go - the 4,700 mile 13 day cross country trip back to the sunshine state!
    thirsty 1 and PistonPants like this.
  16. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    kool..... Hatcher has a couple side roads that are just right for that KTM. Craggy Creek is one... couple others got no name. they tend to turn into steep switchbacks but somebody with big hairy ones could conceivably ride to the top
    Colemanfu likes this.
  17. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Here's the latest video production - the start of my 4,600 mile 12 day drive back home to Florida. I ran the Alaska Highway in about 3 and a half days stopping every hundred miles or so to let Annie rip and to take soak in the last of the Alaska stoke. It was by far the my favorite part of the drive!

Enjoy 12 min of van life, wild animals, and Annie rippin up the single track as I drive from Palmer to Jasper National Park.

[​IMG]