In which Plaka builds a Cafe bike.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Plaka, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Cafe bikes are all about styling. Now I like my styling as much as anybody but I don't go much for the formulaic stuff seen on the majority of cafe jobs. (although from some of the things I've seen on craigslist being sold as cafe racers you really don't have to do much). I've done a fair number of styling moves on the RS but perhaps with the exception of the sport glass in the fairing, one needs to look closely, and know the bikes pretty well, to spot most of it. Well I haven't run the thing in 6 months, it won't start and it needs a major service, so I'll see what I can work in.

saddle_tanks_on.jpg

I mounted the battery on blocks of sorbothane and it was pretty well glued in. An hour later it's out.

drain_main_tank.jpg

Drained the gas out of the main tank. It looked funny. Added some Seafoam and dumped it in the Honda.
  2. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing

Oddometer:
    best.title.ever
    Geezerrv and bleaknessengine like this.
  3. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Time to lose the saddle tanks. I really like the 400 mile range, the ability to switch tanks on the fly, the ability to run the motor and ride around with the main tank off and the way they keep the weight of the extra 2 gallons low. I don't like the difficulty backing up with my legs. I also don't have a 400 mile butt so when I stop for a break I can dump fuel from bladders in my saddle bags. I usually only need a lot of range if I go off wandering or run through a lot of mountain towns with their mountain multiplier gas prices.

lrft_saddle_tank_off.jpg
  4. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not a small furry bear by any chance?
    elmontanero likes this.
  5. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Oh I like where this is headed.
  6. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Time to drain the fork oil. Oil drains freely out of the left leg, nothing comes out of the right leg. The oil coming out is sub-pretty.

drain_fork_oil.jpg

so i go to take the caps off.

fork_top_nut.jpg

The right cap is tight but my /5 tool takes care of it. Once loose the oil drains freely.

tape_on_fork_nut.jpg

The left cap is a bit loose but I need the special tool I made (and lost to a shit head) to avoid pulling the bars. Put some duct tape on it.

pliers_on_fork_nut.jpg

and go after it with smooth jaw pliers. Have to make another one of those tools.

As more oil drains into the towel it starts to take on a purple hue. I look at my bottle of fork oil and sure enough, it's dark purple. Bullet dodged.
  7. Plaka

Oddometer:
    part of the reason it hasn't been ridden in 6 months.

nail_in_tire.jpg

windage_bottle.jpg
    I had a number of experiments running. All of them have concluded so I can take the stuff off. I was getting an oil film on the intake side of the carbs, despite it being a tight motor. I don't like burning oil. So I set up an external windage bottle. Simple to do and it was clamped under the frame cross member.

But while it got kind of oily it never really accumulated any oil. Meanwhile on the other end of the hose I was getting weepage at the connection. The main backbone windage hose is dried out and stiff (which made it a bitch to put back to stock) and I'll have to replace it along with the airbox (I used violence to get the hose back in the airbox. I have a spare or two). And there was no suction at the connection. I've tangled with that connection before. I'll do it when I get to the timing chain someday.

oil_spooge.jpg

When I put the external windage hose on Igutted the plumbing out of the airbox and put some aluminum tape over the holes in the airhorns. The suction in those horns is so feirce it sucked the tape in. (fortunately not into the carbs). If you leave the holes unplugged it will screw up the tuning.

tape_suck.jpg
    Bigger Al likes this.
  8. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Tranny splines are next. And here my troubles began. Disconnect the tranny and swing arm and pull the tranny back. piece of cake. Didn't have to do much with the battery tray but removing the airbox was a big mistake due to the aformntioned hose.

tranny_splines.jpg

But then it turns out the tub of special cafe spline lube was in the bottom drawer behind the turntable.

turntable.jpg

Dug it out, lubed up the splines, then spent better than 10 hours getting the tranny re-engaged with the clutch disk. I've done it I don't know how many times and it's always easy-peasy. Not this time. I shall never again be cavalier about recommending the method. I just wasn't thinking about it well. After staying up all night and then some I took a nap, indulged in some pharmaceuticals, thought about it more carefully, looked at it extremely carefully with my special flashlight and seemed to see that the front of the tranny input shaft was just a hair low. So I lifted the front of the box with one board prying off the frame while I pried forward with another board and it slid right home.
    bleaknessengine and ccmickelson like this.
  9. Plaka

Oddometer:
    The narrative is a bit out of order. With the tranny lower bolts in I started on the airbox. I couldn't get a good grip on the hose from hell so I went to pull the top cover and found this:

wire_in_cover.jpg

The nice fat green wire goes directly to battery negative and dissapears under the front cover. I think it's the ground to the diode board. But running it through the grommet that way was not smart. Had to clip the terminal, undress the wire (which was extremely nicely dressed) and haul the cover off to the workbench for changes. I'll have to wait for parts.

Did get the airbox back in.

airbox_done.jpg

Then I ran up to one of the Mexican muffler shops on the north end and with a few words of Spanish, ( I think I know 5), lots of gestures and some smiles I came away with a sexy pair of cafe mufflers.

cafe_mufflers.jpg

Hey, they were free.

Now all I need is an adapter kit. I could make one with some 1 1/4" tube but that stuff is pretty uncommon.

Then it started snowing and the shop is unheated. To be continued.
    Square1 likes this.
  10. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Damn, the snow rolled in right as this started to get good.
  11. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Yeah I turned this place inside out looking for 1 1/4" tubing. I've been thinking about the mufflers for quite some time. I want to mount them to the ends of my existing mufflers for sort of a fishtail look.
  12. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania

Oddometer:
    Yes, banger of a thread title. And your word choice thus far borders on Shakespearean. "Sub-pretty" might just be my new favorite word.
    bleaknessengine likes this.
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Are you thinking of a Pika? I think they're rodents.
    Adrian V likes this.
  14. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those look like Corvair Corsa "turbo mufflers", pretty much what was used in the '70s when you got tired of replacing glass packs.

***EDIT: That should be Corvair, as in the rear air cooled rear engine 6 banger from the '60s, not the Corsair built by Chance Vought Aviation during WW II, I know the difference, the effing spell-check doesn't.
  15. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    screen-0 (2).jpg
    Though I think you got the gist :D.
  16. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to lacquer this on the tank as well:
    ogri2.jpg
  17. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Well they aren't rusted out so that's good. The glasspacks I have aren't supposed to wear out,, seeing as how they are welded shut and no longer made. I suspect the 'glass' is metal mesh. But boy are they loud, especially in the driveway on full chokes and high idle. Thus the need to shut them up. Sometimes.:-)
    Uke likes this.
  18. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catchy title, great story!

Enlighten us about those " saddle tanks", never seen those.
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Ok I get the bear what what is the other graphic?
    Adrian V likes this.
  20. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Made by Luftmeister back in the day. And well made. All aluminum, nice petcocks that don't leak, stuffed with Explosafe (an aluminum swarf that keeps them from exploding. Used in Euro gas cans.), machined aluminum caps. One gallon each side. I've enhanced them with 4 way nipples to make the plumbing easier. They each have a vent hose on the rear to that goes to a T under the seat somewhere. One bolt, stainless, retains them. They mount to 3 bars (IIRC) in the side triangle with U shaped pieces that are welded on the back of the tank and go over some inner tube on the frame. They tuck in behind your calf when you are riding and the petcock is by your heel where you can reach down to it.

If it sounds like I am writing an ad, I am.
    aptbldr, ME 109 and Square1 like this.