In which Plaka builds a Cafe bike.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Plaka, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    No bears here in town. Deer and lions down in Boulder, elk up in Lyons and some moose outside of town. All we have here is raccoons, a fox and coyotes. I used to have a cat...:uhoh
  2. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't say that if it was a Mitsubishi....oops, that's right, it's a Mitsubishi engine. I work on these things and think who the fuck designed this ? Why make something simple so complicated ? On my Volvo, ONE bolt removes the timing cover, and the crank pulley doesn't need to be removed to replace the cambelt. It's obvious the designer has actually worked on engines, and knows a maintenance procedure needs to be done at minimal cost to the owner. Yesterday I was working on a Holden Captiva (Daewoo, but don't tell the Aussies that) and had to remove the headlamp to replace a park light bulb - who the... My next job was a water pump on a 1978 Toyota Corolla. Wow, this car was made before ''design'' became the most important thing for a motor vehicle. It's just an engine in a car, it was a just a water pump replacement, the customer was in the waiting room, and didn't need a loan car for a whole day. Designer is another word for dumbfuck to me.
    BMW851 likes this.
  3. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    I will admit that the whole belt setup on that right side is a total pain in the ass. The other three sides are a piece of cake.

Ironically since I posted she blew the head gasket running it low on water. I imagine she lost a hose or it could be one of the freeze plugs. I told her under $100 parts. I could practically replace it with my eyes closed :D

She's considering other options like a used SUV. Any recommendations?
  4. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Could I have my thread back? Thank you.

I got a swell idea for the rack. This one has been bugging me. I got no money and no welding skills. Leaves me a bit stuck Until I found this in the bottom of the closet.

single soshoe.jpg
    Jim Day likes this.
  5. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I like the handling of the tighter framed R65. No problemo. While I'm at it I'll lose 15 lbs of center stand weight. real cafes don't have center stands, they have side stands and a block of wood.

cut frame.jpg
  6. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How’s your welding skills?
  7. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I'm a carpenter. I'm going to turn a wooden dowel and epoxy it in. I mean, Starbucks is like 6 blocks.
    aptbldr, bpeckm, Jim K in PA and 3 others like this.
  8. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as you use a brown skateboard for a seat and Firestone tires you'll be ok. Also no fenders.
  9. ME 109

Oddometer:
    What about wood borers, or dry rot for that matter?
  10. Dreossi

Dreossi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toyota RAV4 2000-2006 is a sweet spot, or newer for a bit more rav...
  11. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess that’s one way to do it. Not sure why you would do it that way but it is a way.
    Must be like skinning a cat.
    No centerstand for me either. Didn’t quite go that drastic route though
  12. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Everybody gotta be so negative!
  13. ME 109

Oddometer:
    Well, you have severed two arteries.
    Did you by chance make measured reference points either side of the cuts so as to know zaccery where it needs to go back?
    Indeed a good experiment to determine static frame stress. Did the frame tubes spring apart or clamp together, or possibly remain completely stable? The first cut would be interesting.

Do you have a fabrication method in mind or are you open to suggestions?
  14. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    I think that voids the warranty.
    sprouty115 and Uke like this.
  15. Plaka

Oddometer:
    no
    no stress, the piece just dropped out. The frame has seen some hard times. The fork has one of its stops sheared off. Tank slapper? I was thinking of doweling it back together. Zip ties and bondo maybe? I can braze but little surface area. Can't weld unless I haul it to a shop and pay $$$
  16. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Iron Wood and add in some Brass cross pins, properly peen'd would be perfect.
    BMW851 likes this.
  17. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I don't have any iron wood. I do have a lot of figured maple and a powerful vacuum pump and some west system epoxy. I was just going to epoxy impregnate the maple. I like the pins idea. The impregnation will be slow but there are a ton of weight wasting tabs to whack off and then grind and paint so I have time.
    BMW851 and NitroAcres like this.
  18. infinityedge

infinityedge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Flux core machines make shitty welds unless you are pretty good, I am not pretty good and I have no place to put the thing anyway, For the cost I can have a shop TIG it.

I can play all sorts of tricks with epoxy and it has a very long shelf life. The 3M product has a short shelf life ( the second part is not a catalyst, it's an accelerator) and it is super nasty stuff. I'll stick with what I know for such a critical application.
  20. BMW851

BMW851 Piston Broke

Oddometer:
    Plaka I've always figured a serious lack funds always tends to help create some fairly unique work arounds.
    Looking forward to see how it all holds together, good luck with it :lurk .

No hard rock maple at all in your offcuts bin? or is what your planning all that's to hand, like the idea of locating pins either end, plus maybe some more laminating around the sections when fitted seems like an idea as well