In which Plaka builds a Cafe bike.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Plaka, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Under good light that is indeed a wear mark in the plating. I thought it was a mark from rubber. The filter is marked made in Korea. I looked in the boxes of Emgo filters and they have the large black '0' ring but are unmarked and different than the one I just pulled. Have one BMW filter, standard Austrian job. According to th service log th po provided the oil and filter was last changed 1407 miles and 6 years ago. He stripped the cooler drain bolt at one point.
  2. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Pulling the crank is out of the question. Too much work and money. What I am evaluating at this point is whether I run this bottom end with the '83 top end or just do a full engine swap. The '83 could use a timing chain and I have the parts but have been putting it off because it runs well.
    Arktasian likes this.
  3. washpark

washpark Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If "work" is important, I would just do the engine swap.
  4. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Yes, I always recommend other people do more work.

I'm very limited physically. It's been a bitch just to get to this point; one top end pulled.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  5. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I just got it half done. Got the performance engine out of the donor. But lost track of the connections on the back of the diode board so more work to figure that out.

Also sold enough parts off to buy a new tool. But I've been pretty wobbly the last couple weeks so it has been sitting in it's crate until yesterday. Pics tomorrow.

well it's a cheep POS but it gets me off the ground which is critical. Hopefully I can pick up the pace.

meanwhile, in addition to pulling the motor, i have been thinking about the seat and cowl. the BMW cowls are pretty useless styling jobs. They have a nifty little storage cubby in them but are useless for strapping on a load. This bike has a corbin seat, in not great shape,that goes way up over the tank in the front. Why I don't know, I think it's another styling move. I need a special pad to rack myself on if I hit something? No one can see my seat when I ride. My favored style is Mongol-sweeping-down-from-the-steppes-on-a-pony. I take a full raw sheepskin, black with long curly har and just drape it over the seat. It hangs down in a ragged fashion all around. Then I sit on it. It really isn't mush about comfort (although I have stuffed the thing under my jacket in the cold), the comfort is from an ATV pad under it, It's about the look. which I completely dig.
  6. Plaka

Oddometer:
    lift.jpg

This mornings project is clearing off the big saw and turning the crate into very little pieces.
    brittrunyon, Jim K in PA and aptbldr like this.
  7. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Plaka gots a lift a table!
    Moreso than the airheads in 'em, many garage pics present a common item: a HF bike lift, typically red.
    Do these lifts deserve a thread?
    Imagine it's a collection of high-performance options, maintenance, oil & seal changes, axle & pivot lubes, waxes & cleaning, custom paint jobs ...
  8. Plaka

Oddometer:
    people buy them because they are cheap. they have NONE of the features of a good lift table, which is not cheap. I have noticed the only reasonable way to get into a good one is score it from a shop that is closing.

It rolls well so if you have a smooth driveway it is easy to roll it out but the thing does not seem to want to get wet one little bit.

I have a fat pin sticking out of my garage floor that my turntable pivots on. This interferes with the lift. Eventually the whole turntable will make using the lift a lot sorta clumsy. So I am looking at options to the turntable.
  9. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    You don't need to sweat that. Mine's been on the driveway, well, large flat area in front of the garage, for the last two years. Hasn't been affected at all by the weather exposure.

Good luck with your project.
  10. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a used Handy lift last year, and it's arguably the best motorcycling investment I've ever made. No more lying on concrete for oil changes when it's 25 degrees out.
    Uke likes this.
  11. Plaka

Oddometer:
    How did you get the bike warmed up to change the oil when it's 25 degrees out?
  12. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't like laying on concrete when it's 25 degrees. I don't mind riding when it's that cold.
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I notice Bike Exif is making noises about "the scene" getting too me-too. And celebrating builds "that don't have an inch of pipe wrap" and "avoid cliches" (even if they don't) so somebody is starting to get a clue. More new tools.
    The old turntable, bottom view, dragged out of the garage. It has a fat aluminum rail on top.

turntable-old.jpg

New turntable. This one can be driven across to get to the lift deeper in the garage, than backed onto to exit.

turntable-new.jpg
    Bigger Al likes this.
  14. Screaming Chicken

Screaming Chicken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike exif made noises a few weeks back about GS customization jobs being rare.

Err, not where I’m looking. :lol3
  15. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I would say almost every GS is customized. But I have never seen anybody taking the "cafe" approach.
  16. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:

I always find it humorous when a purists talk about mods with such horror, then drool over a GS with improved forks, a custom seat, more lighting, or improved charging system. People have been modding GS bikes since their inception. When I first proposed my R100R mods some purists were outraged saying that I was attempting to make a fake GS, but the fork and shock mod would of not even raised and eyebrow if the bike had been a GS, and worked just as well on the R as they would of on a GS.
    nobbylon and Bigger Al like this.
  17. Plaka

Oddometer:
    you just listed 4 things that are functional; everything about a "cafe" is fictional. that is the whole point. not to be, but to pose.
  18. Screaming Chicken

Oddometer:
    And purists will moan about anything :lol3
  19. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally wrong and you really need to get your facts right before jumping on your soap box. A ‘cafe’ is a functional, stripped down and sometimes tuned standard bike with race style bars and riding position to achieve lower weight and high speeds on short distance rides ie between cafes. it’s a bike made for a purpose if done right and no more of a pose than a smoke paint job on an RS or farkles on an urban use GS. You simply have no clue what you are talking about again.
    robtg likes this.
  20. Screaming Chicken

Oddometer:
    There are the cafe bikes of old which are like you said, and the current custom scene “cafebratscrambler” bikes which often seem little more than exercises in styling.