In which Plaka builds a Cafe bike.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Plaka, Oct 30, 2018.

1. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scrambler look bikes i’ll agree are an exercise in styling only.
  2. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Incorrect, I have some very good short hill climbs at my place and I think a 1000 cc trials barge would be fun.
    Now, about this smoke paint business. Watch it pal. :D
  3. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course, never thought about hill climbing on one of those scrambler jobs. I stand corrected. No hills here in Amsterdam though ;)
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I am in the midst of designing a turntable when I saw this post. Where did you get the trackmoto? I googled around, it gets good reviews, but seems unavailable. I've been using furniture sliders. Digging the build.
  5. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    "purists" are an imagined boogey man. Gotta have somebody to be the bad guy, especially if you sense somebody is pointing that finger at you.
  6. Screaming Chicken

Screaming Chicken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, they exist. Not just in BMW circles, I’ve met them in Honda crowds too.

People of the opinion, which they’ll definitely let you know, that Herr BMW or Soichiro-san or whoever knows best, their designs are nothing short of perfection and any alterations no matter how tiny are sacrilege and “your wrong”.

Even if it’s clearly a design flaw you’re fixing. :lol3
    bpeckm and Jim Day like this.
  7. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Craigslist, used. Others seem to make similar devices. Furniture sliders are lowmprofile, but those casters really moved nicely on my cracked garage floor. downside was i needed a ramp to get on and off.
    Amphib likes this.
  8. Plaka

Oddometer:
    you need to discrimminaqre between sryling design and engineering design. Two different endeavors. Every thing is styled (maybe not sattelites). It's the styling that sells. There are schools that have auto styling programs. The graduates are often not very good, which is why so many cars look bland at best and ugly at worst.
  9. Screaming Chicken

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what you're responding to but it doesn't seem to be any of what you quoted?
  10. Plaka

Oddometer:
    uh, having a 2+2=3 moment? if not, just let it go. not everyone understands what i say and not everything i say is understandable.
    bpeckm and aptbldr like this.
  11. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I have always harbored a secret desire for a rat bike. Or a punk bike. I mean something you NEVER wash. Something with huge manly oversized tires. Might have the remains of fenders but they would get done up in California art car style. So I am thinking of how to dress up the gas tank. Fooled around with some long sheet metal screws on the BBQ lid to see how it would look and how a particular rod would work on stainless )stainless lid an screws,) I LIKE! pleasing texture field, veddy manly dearly beloved, easy to sharpen and the tank bag won't slide around. Got some nice color in the metal from the t6orch too.

bbq screws.jpg
  12. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    Purists exist and there are varying camps.

You have the engineering type martinets who try to micromanage and categorize the world like it is some bulky piece of machinery. To them only the BMW engineers really understand the bikes and all modification is like an excrescence of stylistic masturbation.

Others are entrenched in choice supportive cognitive bias. They really do not know that much about bikes or their BMWs but they do know that they purchased the best (mostly stock )airhead they could afford to buy, and believe that anything else is substandard.

Then there are the bandwagen purists. Guys who know nothing but just repeat the purist mantra they have heard from others because they want acknowledgment, positive reinforcement. and to appear to others as one of the "real" BMW guys. "Posers" comes to mind.

Satellites and rockets have their own styling and aesthetic. Just look at the difference between the early Russian and US designs. You create a demarcation here that does not exist, that's all in your mind. You believe that the pure engineering design you speak of, "your" aesthetic of engineering design, is the only valid form, and that everything else is fluff, fashion, extraneous bullshit. This is an exercise in confirmation bias.

Great design is elegant, simple, direct, and uncontrived. It feels effortless, as if it just makes sense, and should of always existed. I love these kinds of objects. I did enjoy it when you said that no-one can possibly understand what a designer was thinking by looking at their work. Spoken like a true frustrated artist, a little self indulgent, clearly untrue, a limited self serving perspective.

As an Artist (I have my masters in this shit) you learn to look at any design and pick it apart. You look at the historical context, what is cultural, borrowed, adapted, derived, but then you begin looking for formal spacial clues that reflect the mental state of that artist themselves and their personal sense of aesthetic. Not only for their school of thought, and decision making process but also their subconscious state that makes their work unique, or changes it slightly from day to day or even year to year.

Any form of design can be subjected to this type of analysis. For instance my lover owns a Hyndai. I rebuilt hers after she lost her timing belt. You know what impressed me the most? The hardware... The bolts. The whole motor was put together with something like five or six bolts. They were all the same size and all the same grades. The car is a brilliant exercise in frugality and simplicity. It was a pleasure to work on just because it was just so strait forward. Everything is accessible, parts are dirt cheap, and it all makes perfect sense if you really take the time to really look at it.

Looks like someone wanted something to stop roosting on his BBQ. An owl perhaps?

I’ve played chess since I was a child and by high school I took it rather seriously. One day my Dad suggested that we play chess a new way. He said we should take two boards, set them up at each end of the yard then take turns at throwing a basketball at the boards and whoever had the most pieces standing after three tosses would win.

My response was: "That’s ludicrous!"

He said: "No... That is rock music."

He thought his analogy was exceedingly clever, and a good lesson for me, but I found it limited. It felt like he was just lashing out at something he refused to take the time to understand.

He liked the “Ink Spots”

No doubt he would of said the same thing about Bela Bartok, or Stravinsky.

To be fair I should add that even in my early teens i could crush my dad at chess, and I sucked at basketball. Maybe he just wanted to "Win" :lol3

“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”

― Robert M. Pirsig
    bpeckm, nmalozzi, Texer and 3 others like this.
  13. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    “an excrescence of stylistic masturbation”

Nice.

One of my old mentors of art critique said, “It’s not the ‘what’ it’s the ‘how’.” A functional motorcycle is just the ‘what’. The ‘how’ includes an infinity of possibilities, all of which can be endlessly discussed, appreciated, and enjoyed.
    Jim Day likes this.
  14. Screaming Chicken

Oddometer:
    Interesting piece jim but you killed it with the pirsig. :lol3 What an insufferable book that was...
    Jim Day likes this.
  15. Jim Day

Oddometer:
    Everyone is a critic :D
  16. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I have such a love hate for it. I’ve been trying to finish it for like 3 fucking years. I enjoy every page, but then I can’t seem to pick it up again for weeks/months. It’s a paradox.
    Uke and bpeckm like this.
  17. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    My experience as well...... It's because it's *good* for you. Like an exercise regimen, I feel good when doing it, but miss one day and it's like pulling teeth to go back. :lol3
    nmalozzi likes this.
  18. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Owls? If you don't recognize art when you see it ( or maybe that was too R&R) give the degree back.

I chose satellites because like many machines they present such highly constrained problems that there is no room to get artsy fartsy. Some machined bit may have a pleasing aesthetic but you can bet that form came from an FEA program, not somebodies imagination.

I played chess with my father once and never again. He wouldn't even grant me a game. I resented it. I don't mind being beaten, especially by such a superior player. I do mind being beaten up.

I don't know if you were around when there existed nothing but airheads. There were lots of BMW clubs scattered around. Then the K bikes came out. Suddenly these people were not our kind of people. Lotta hostility and fear. Eventually things like the ABC sprang up to quell the old guard. But when they label themselves stupid by choice, take it seriously. I refuse to join just because of their logo, and because it's a social club.

I took the inner skin off the rear trunk lid of one of the first Hyndais in the country. I was very impressed with the build quality. There was NOTHING in there that could rattle.
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I started it a few times but just couldn't get into it. Finally disposed of it. But I have several feet of bookshelf full of Zen texts. Get through the Gateless Gate THEN read Pirsig.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. Jim Day

Oddometer:
    Actually I think that is a rather sorry attempt at bear proofing :D