Incoming: forum newsletter

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Baldy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Well, ADV did add the ads...
    Blue Mule and ozmoses like this.
  2. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the option that gives me the "Athletic Supporter" badge...

upload_2018-11-16_20-12-2.png
    9Realms likes this.
  3. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Used'ta could Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to sound like a suck-up here (not that it's needed), but I'll say this - most people don't understand what a fucking headache administering a site involves with the shameless exploitation of any of the forum software available. The aggravating fuckers can find weaknesses in the code and turn loose an avalanche of spammers on the readers, but it's even worse for the people running the show. I was the admin at Netsword back when it was a viable site - and it had a fraction of the users and traffic that ADV has. Frankly I'm surprised that Baldy isn't stark raving mad by now as playing whack-a-mole gets old, and quick.

Yes, there are add-ins and code mods that will take care of some of it, and there's always that CAPTCHA shit we all know and love for new users until some hacker figures out a way around it - but in the end, it comes back to some form of whack-a-mole. The Internet wasn't built for the way we use it today - anything we do with it going forward is going to be some kind of compromise and someone's going to have to do the heavy lifting - in our case, Baldy and crew.

Don't be a cheap shit, sign up as a supporter. Who here can't shake out a fiver a month? I could probably find that in the tank bag of a KLR if I'm willing to count the pocket change - excuse me, lunch money.
  4. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Second week without mail.
    You decide to make it monthly?
    Am i blocked?
    Something else?
  5. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    the email server is being blocked by that annoying pop up everyone was getting. :deal

:hide
  6. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    never had one.:confused
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never got it
    Never wanted it
  8. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Do we really need the emoji in the subject of the newsletter? It really doesn't fit...
  9. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Interesting ad popped up today.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

upload_2019-1-23_22-39-25.png

FWIW it came up on my work PC, which is not subjected to that sort of web surfing. Unless ADV is in that category. :D So I'm not really inclined to blame this on cookies.

Just an FYI. I don't actually care, but some might.

=o&o> likes this.
  10. Wildman Steve

Wildman Steve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hit block, Junk and delete
  11. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still getting the newsletter, despite every email notification I can find being turned off. It goes straight to my spam folder now, but kinda wish I had never given you guys my email 15 years ago.

And no, I am not using an unsubscribe function that requires me to type my email.
  12. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator Supporter

Oddometer:
    there's an unsubscribe link in every email we send, just scroll to the bottom of the email and do the following... click it once.
    Oilhed, plumer1kt and HardWorkingDog like this.
  13. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An unsubscribe link that requires typing my email address in, something I prefer not to do with unsolicited email from who knows where. Easier to just mark it spam and let gmail deal with it.

How about not sending unsolicited emails to people? Especially when they have specifically chosen not to receive email from the site, and asked not to get it in this thread when you started the newsletter.
  14. SpecialKev

SpecialKev IT Screwer Upper Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Specifically addressing your complaint that you have to type your email address...That isn't the way it's supposed to work. You click the link, your email address is already in the form, and you click the submit button. Just to make sure, I just clicked the Unsubscribe link in the latest email, the one before that, and the one before that, and that's the way it worked.

Further, the system actually sends the List-Unsubscribe: header with the emails, which means that right there in Gmail you should see an unsubscribe button, right at the top of the message. Click that one time and you're gone, that easy.
    Rudy likes this.
  15. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think of it from the user point of view, I get an email from somewhere (maybe advrider, maybe spoofed I have no idea since I have advrider set to not send email). I click unsubscribe and it asks me to confirm my email address. Would you want to do that and maybe be confirming a live email for spammers? Most other newsletters when I hit unsubscribe it just gives me a success message.

Lot easier to just mark spam and make it disappear.
  16. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s not really that big of a deal for me to make it go away, the bigger question is why bother having a “don’t send email” option if advrider will send emails anyways.
  17. SpecialKev

Oddometer:
    You're right. Definitely FAR easier to make multiple posts complaining about the issue rather than clicking that link as was suggested to you..
    AteamNM and Rectaltronics like this.
  18. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad your so concerned with not spamming your members. Much easier to blame them for being lazy than fixing what ever issue is causing people to get signed up for an email they don’t want.

I love adv, have been a member here for years. One of the great things is I generally trust the owners to not do anything stupid with my data. That trust starts to be lost when preferences aren’t respected. An email newsletter I don’t want is no big deal, but how do I know you won’t decide to start sending paid advertising to me? Or sell my email address to someone else?

you guys should want to fix this, it’s good for the site to have trust. I’m letting you know there is a problem, would you rather people just keep hitting the spam button until the email servers start blocking all advrider emails? It is more effort for me to post, but because I do generally trust the site I am bothering to let you know that your email list has issues and your unsubscribe link is sketchy.
  19. SpecialKev

Oddometer:
    1. I'm just the tech guy.
    2. I've already unsubscribed you from the list
    3. Oddly enough, most people get through the unsubscription process no problem. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that if it seems to work for 99% of people, maybe there's nothing to fix with the process?
    4. I'm not sure what's so sketchy about the newsletter form. It's a decent looking form, hosted on the advrider.com domain, it's secured by SSL, and it functions correctly. Immediately, with no delay.

Again, I've unsubscribed you. And, again, just for your own edification, if you don't trust the email, don't click the link. Ever. If it's truly an illegitimate email, clicking that link could expose your email address, send you to malware, whatever. The fact that the system shows a form with your email pre-filled isn't sketchy. It's just...normal? In addition to being able to provide a reason for your unsubscription, it serves one more purpose. What happens if a user receives an email and then forwards it to his friend (And yes, people do this) and his friend clicks that unsubscribe link? You guessed it, the original guy, who WANTED that newsletter, now no longer is able to receive it. By giving the user a chance to cancel the unsubscription, it avoids accidental unsubscribes and people complaining that they're no longer receiving the email.

Can't please everyone I guess...
    Rudy and MsLizVt like this.
  20. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    You've been a member of ADV since 2007. Not exactly "who knows where" in my opinion.

But if the browser form pre-fill of your email address isn't working and you're truly interested in having ADV's geek squad fix this, maybe you should offer up some relevant technical information like what device you're using, what operating system, which brand and version of web browser, possibly the type of email system you're using, etc.

On a positive note, I'm no longer receiving ads for chinalove.com.

Or maybe that's not an entirely positive note. :rofl

Ride safe y'all!

Rudy likes this.