Incoming: forum newsletter

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Baldy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Interesting.... I don't like emails or alerts. Just to much trouble. I keep advrider open in an open tab and hit the "Watched Threads" button to get to my sub'ed threads and then check the "New Posts". BTW the "watch thread without receiving email notifications " doesn't work for me. I have to use "manage watched threads" to not get emails.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me please : no forum alerts for this and no weekly email alerts. I would consider both to be spam.
    I am very selective in what I read, hence not interested in something else.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  3. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator

Oddometer:
    SpecialKev likes this.
  4. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    WOW.... it worked. :clap:clap:clap
    scott_fennell likes this.
  5. longwaytim

longwaytim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In... good idea!
  6. Chief645

Chief645 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is okay by me!
  7. vsvn

vsvn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just spent half an hour looking through the old home page pictures. They're amazing!

I like this initiative.
  8. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Huh. For people following along at home, he's saying this option in preferences that you can find in your profiles isn't working:

[​IMG]

But if you go to to the forum view, select Watched Threads, scroll to the bottom and select All Watched Threads, you get a Manage Watched Threads option that works for him. I don't know why, but if you have the same issue, at least now maybe you can find the option.

[​IMG]
  9. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the idea! This community is so freaking big that if someone wants to point out some threads I'd probably otherwise miss I am all for it. Man this site just gets better all the time.

Thanks
    Rudy and LadyDraco like this.
  10. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Opps, sorry. I had that box checked (fixed) on my Browsing Preferences, but when I viewed a new thread and clicked "watch thread" on the top right and got the choice of email or no email, the "watch this thread without receiving emails" box didn't work. :dunno Guess it was over ridden by preferences.
  11. bubfryder

bubfryder dirtyplayer

Oddometer:
    Xcx. DC c c c c xxv vxx x ,4r er x Ed ceci CV c"c xxv xxv xxv ccCD raxcczcdcvv z,-@'ccxzcc cc AC x cara vs
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  12. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting for someone to say that.
  13. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Reading this thread, I can see why preferences are so extensive on iPhones and in apps. It's just crazy how different we all are.

I really like the idea of a thread like we used to have for home page photos where people can nominate threads for the newsletter. I tend to do what apparently some of you do too and check my watched threads, run out of time, then quickly try to explore, it takes more time than I have, so some really good stuff never gets my attention. If someone can quickly ping me once a week with what I'm missing, I'm in.
  14. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell yes!!! I just don't have time to sift through for that epic rr. Looking forward to it!
  15. Az4x4

Az4x4 Forever is a long time..

Oddometer:
    I'm in. This forum is WAY too big to spend time sorting through. Any help will be appreciated!..
    TAS likes this.
  16. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    If you'd be so kind, put me down for no e-mail. Thank you.

I've got my preferences set for no e-mails and no PM's.

17. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    No emails for me please. I get 2-300 a day I get paid to deal with, and don't need anymore!

Thanks.
  18. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No offense, but I'm not like you.

I have no interest whatsoever in someone else (by that I mean yet another "someone else") presuming to determine what I consider interesting. I've been having to "unsubscribe" from such uninvited invasions of my email account for years, and it's a constant annoyance.

What I would be interested in is seeing this site given an actually usable organization scheme that doesn't squander away what should be the entire self-organizing level of user-created discussions by completely wasting it on a mere two or three fixed "clever" section names. That fundamental problem permeates the entire site, so just one of countless examples suffices to illustrate it:

A single section named "Thumpers" wastes the whole upper-level of potential organization, and is unnecessary and effectively useless in finding what I may be interested in. A "thumper" is a single-cylinder four stroke engine. That could be anything from a Grom to a 690 Enduro to a TU250 street bike.

This causes the only available user-defined organizational level, which should be for naming individual discussions about a KTM 690 (or any other given bike) to have to be used for the un-provided discussion topic: "KTM 690." So unlike any normal user-interest forum, there is no provision for organization of user discussions about a KTM690 (ex.; "Shortening Suspension" or "ECU Mapping Question" or "My 690 Won't Start" or "690 Luggage Options" or "Rockers".) This causes every user-started discussion about a KTM 690 to be thrown into one ridiculously huge, unnavigable grab-bag, wherein all responses to all user-started discussions are randomly mixed between each other, making it near impossible to follow any given discussion.

So it soon gets completely out of hand, and well-meaning users trying to address the problem create another "discussion" (which is really just another instance of the unprovided topic), also named "KTM 690", thereby worsening the problem as it just also becomes another completely disorganized mish-mash of countless discussions thrown into one big hopper.

ADVRider fails to provide the most basic topic structure necessary for following individual discussions of interest. So, evidently incapable of providing that fundamental necessity, it now thinks it can discern what I'm interested in?

Thanks, but no thanks.

JET
  19. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Jeeeez us. Is it hard to breath with you nose so far up in the air? Sounds like this site is so far below your level of life organization you shouldn't even be viewing it!
    edwin, Bultaco206 and Anders- like this.
  20. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Why don’t you just head over to thumpertalk? :lol3
    Doing the sort of split you suggest will kill the discussions/life in thumpers. The subject has been up for discussion a couple of times before and the conclusion is that most of the folks like the way it currently works.
    Bultaco206 likes this.