Incoming: forum newsletter

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Baldy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm IN for this!!! Ride reports like the Wan's, Colebatch, etc are f-ing INSANE. I'm fully sure that there are more out there that I have missed out on completely because I didn't know they existed.

Sign me up! :clap :lol3
    Rudy, Ladybug and Baldy like this.
  2. gpounce

gpounce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please make it opt-in.

For my part unsolicited email is unwelcome at all times for all senders and all subjects. Perhaps link the spam to some default off setting in the user's profile and provide a link for it in the email warning banner you put on the front page so people can turn it on if they want it.
    Super38ACP likes this.
  3. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    From what I'm seeing here is either an "all in" or "no thanks, opt out".

Make it easy on the admins is send it out to everyone. If you're not "in" tag it "spam" never to be seen again. If you're "all in", carry on.
    Buildzall and MsLizVt like this.
  4. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soooo, WHEN DOES IT START!? :-)
  5. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    That's actually great feedback about thumpers and KTM 690s, imo, and I'm afraid some people reading it were cringing, thinking "NO! Don't get Baldy on that again. We've had to beat him back 3 times now to stop him from reorging that section of the site."

I hate the the megathreads, I think they are a firehose that only really active members can drink from, but damn it's hard to propose a reorg of the thumper section without an exhausting fight that I've retreated from 3 times over the years now. You might be able to propose a better org than I did. Go for it.

But it really is a side issue. Even if regional forums are organized just right, or GPS tracks, or name your other sub, none of us can go into them all. And every now and then a jewel emerges, like the story of this year's CADVR rally, which I wrote a story about for the new editorial page that's coming. No one would know the story except the Central denizens because no one can patrol all those subs.
    MsLizVt likes this.
  6. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Please don't mark it as spam or the people who want it may experience delivery problems. Just unsubscribe. Hopefully, we're catching the people who want to be unsubbed here so they never have to see the first one.
    LadyDraco, MsLizVt and FR700 like this.
  7. Storm Howlet

Storm Howlet The Storm Owl

Oddometer:
    I agree... or why not just create a thread with links to the threads of interest... and that way when I have time to burn I can see what everyone is excited about and when I don't have time I don't have to be bothered by the email.... I mean this is why I like forums (it is pull technology instead of push technology)
    legion likes this.
  8. Normlas

Normlas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is interesting for everyone, but I've been on the road for about 9 months and just got to the sacred valley in Peru and had a crack at an ayahuasca ceremony, the link to my RR is in my signature.

All are welcome aboard :)
    ER70S-2 and GAS GUY like this.
  9. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Ok I can see that.
    So put me "in"...........

@JETalmage I apologize for stuffing you but as @Baldy stated it has been a thing of, ummm, discernment. Didn't mean to come off so shi**y.
  10. Baldy

Oddometer:
    So I think if you're on the side of not wanting it, it must seem blindingly clear that it should be opt-in. But I think as we're hearing from posters on the other side, the effort is asymmetrical. In order to let people know you have an opt-in list, you have to get the option in front of them somehow, which is basically spam to the people who don't want it. You have to take space on a web page and get in their line of sight somehow, else no one knows. And then once they do know, they have to type in their email address and confirm it.

Whereas, on the other side, it's one click to unsub and never be bothered again. Or if you voiced concern in this thread, never see it in the first place, hopefully.

I really think the success or failure will depend on whether it's more efficient in finding the most interesting stuff than poking around on the site. There has always been this idea of getting too much mail so please don't add to it, and I totally get that sentiment. But you have to ask, then why are some of the busiest and most productive people on the planet hooked on them? Why the renaissance in newsletters over the last few years? Because many of them have gotten really good and save time finding the best content.

How On Earth Did Email Newsletters Become Popular Again?
    EvergreenE, Rudy and MsLizVt like this.
  11. krautman

krautman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SEND IT !!!!!! Larry style !
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, to unsubscribe is one click. Giv ‘er!
    EvergreenE likes this.
  13. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's very simple:

Right now, a single word "Thumpers" occupies and WASTES an entire level of organization.

My detractors can say what they want, but even they are not going to the Thumpers section to find discussions like:

Do They Really Thump?
    What Do They Thump Against?
    Please Help! Mine Isn't Thumping.

No, when anyone goes to Thumpers, they are looking for a specific bike they want to read about or discuss. What is presently "Thumpers" should simply be directories for specific bikes:

KTM 690
    Honda CR450L
    etc., etc.

Those are discussion topics. They should not be created by users. User-created threads are what they are in any special interest forum: Open discussions about the topics:

KTM690
    • Seen the 2019 Yet?
    • Best Way To Add Fuel Range
    • How Much Does Yours Really Weigh?
    • Help! Stuck In Brazil!

What is presently "Bikes" is also an entire level of organization being WASTED by a single completely unnecessary word. Everyone knows this site is about bikes. It should be multiple broad categories of Bikes, with any sensible and unambiguous set of titles:

Multi-Cylinder ADV Bikes
    Single Cylinder ADV Bikes
    Dualsport Bikes
    Enduro Bikes
    Trials Bikes

Or

Japanese Bikes
    European Bikes
    Asian Bikes

Or

Designed For Pavement
    Designed For Dirt
    Designed For Both

It doesn't matter, so long as the section names aren't ambiguous; i.e., they don't effectively ask the question, "Do you walk to work or carry your lunch?":

Japanese Bikes
    Dirt Bikes
    Enduro Bikes

Obviously, a CRF450L would apply to all three. Ambiguous.

The present mess is ambiguous. One looking to read, add, or contribute to discussions on a KTM 690 would rightly assume such discussions reside in "Orange Crush." But it's also a "Thumper."

It's very simple, but not easy. It requires some though and effort. It is not accomplished by just trying to be clever:

Orange Crush
    • Crazy Awesome...
    • Ridiculous...

That might be "clever" to some (the first time). It might be insulting to others. Regardless, it just WASTES two whole levels of organization in an attempt at being clever. And taking the titles as stated provides no place for what will probably be one of the most important KTMs ever for a site named ADV Rider: the new 790.

...which is why intelligible organization is necessary, not yet another email spam.

Oh, c'mon, Baldy. I'm writing a book on isometric illustration. YOU wouldn't know that, so I'll send you an email spam. After all, you can unsubscribe with "just one click" which will, of course, take you to a website that asks:

"Did you really mean to unsubscribe?"
    "What is your reason for unsubscribing?"
    "Please enter the email address which you wish to unsubscribe."
    "Your unsubscribe request has been entered. It may take a few days to take effect."

Just put a "subscribe me" button anywhere you want one on the site. That's one click, too. Don't expect the whole world to perform "just one click" so that those interested don't have to. You can't sugar coat it. That's the false premise of email spam marketing in the first place.

You don't put up an open special interest forum, decide you want to create a newsletter (blog) site, and then just blatantly auto-subscribe the contributors of the special interest forum to your newsletter, just because they both happen to be about motorcycles. That's spam, by definition.

No, you just put up an advertisement for your newsletter on your special interest forum with a big red SUBSCRIBE button.

Providing the required-by-law "unsubscribe" button is no excuse. Truly, no one can "UNsubscribe" from something they've never subscribed to in the first place. They can just say "stop spamming me." Or, they can report you to their Internet Provider as a spammer.

JET
    CaseyB, Project84, skibum69 and 5 others like this.
  14. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    It seems I'm missing something. There is the option for not receiving emails from ADV/Baldy in our account settings under contact details, message preferences. I see four options there to leave unchecked if a person doesn't want to receive emails. When subscribing to a thread there is an option to receive an email if there is a new post in the that or not to receive the email. Is the assumption the newsletter will be exempt from the preferences? :dunno
  15. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thumpertalk became too structured, and too rigid. It lost most of its appeal to me as the social aspect was sucked right out of it. As a retiring racer that was looking to learn about adventure riding 10 years ago, what appealed to me the most about ADV Rider was how the knowledge here came blended with a social vibe. To turn this into a digital file cabinet of sorts, with high-pixel photos & click bait ads, seems so sterile. I’d hate to see the personality of ADV Rider diluted because a few can’t, or refuse to, play well with others, and want that personality censored.
    FR700, Anders- and ER70S-2 like this.
  16. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nonsense. Navigable organization so as to be able to actually follow a given discussion neither precludes nor discourages socialization. It facilitates it.

JET
  17. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again, that’s your opinion. We disagree.

I saw DRN, Thumpertalk, and even back to the early days of KTM Talk, lose their personalities. They became harder to navigate and their structures discouraged the social aspect beyond asking a few simple questions. I personally like the water cooler aspect of ADV Rider. You do not. And that’s ok. This isn’t your site any more than it is mine.
    EvergreenE, Anders- and ER70S-2 like this.
  18. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's not a bad idea.

It's like show notes for a podcast. The content could be posted in a weekly pinned post with links to the content.

This also can relieve the all in/all out of a subscribed newsletter. The content is there if you want it, and one can ignore it not.
    FR700, BarryB, SlipChip and 1 other person like this.
  19. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    So, Sunday morning and enjoying my post swim breakfast, check my emails, and an email from Adventure rider. What? It's alerting me to a pm. I get a few pm's, never get emails as I had it switched OFF, for a reason.

Urgh. Yes, of course I can go in and switch it off, but I had already made that choice.
  20. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Maybe I am a cynic, but the email around the hot news 'feature' is exactly what other social media sites like Facebook use, when they push at you what they think you would like to see.

Except it's what they want you to see.

No doubt this new feature will include links to things like interviews or upcoming events, example the Charlie Boorman interview over at Cake.

Follow the $$$$$.
    Minus1, FR700, ozmoses and 4 others like this.