Incoming: forum newsletter

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Baldy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Super38ACP

Super38ACP You can get anything you want...Excepting Alice

Oddometer:
    See that is the thing. Many already have the e-mail preferences set to no, so any e-mail is unsolicited, unsolicited e-mail is spam, spam gets marked spam, don’t want it marked spam, don’t send unsolicited e-mail. Really simple.

This idea that some new e-mail category should be created that then has to be opted out of outside of the existing opt outs is apparently how I keep getting this stuff from forums I opted out of (which by the way gets marked spam, deleted (usually) without reading and sends me on a search for what setting was changed.).

It is about respecting the choices people have made already, not what is easier for one particular group, or gets the best results for the forum management.
    DirtMedic, gpounce, Minus1 and 4 others like this.
  2. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    I think it's a great idea.
  3. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    The good news is...it's easy to unsubscribe.
    EvergreenE likes this.
  4. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    Minus1 likes this.
  5. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Looking at the big picture, a big thanks to Baldy and others for creating such a great FREE site. Whatever it changes to in the future is all gravy.
    EvergreenE likes this.
  6. padiii

padiii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should make that the first statement in your first email. I had no idea that may create a problem for others. I always toss them to spam when they become a pain in the ass due to unwanted emails or volume. I just tossed an RV site into spam last week as they became a pain with suggested posts I had absolutely no interest in viewing.

If a large prominent unsubscribe option would be contained in every email, that may prevent getting tossed in to spam. I most likely will unsubscribe but would like see how the emails play out as I find I now just hit the same few sections of the ADV site. Also, thank you for the time and effort it takes to operate such a great site properly.
    Rudy likes this.
  7. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Agreed.

:thumb
  8. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    My preferences state no email. I am guessing because of this new feature that setting has been changed unilaterally to now receive email notifications.
  9. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    yes i think it's a great idea !!!
  10. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    For consideration: at the very least we are being asked for input- and receiving the option of a "pre-opt out", when many forums would make the change summarily, without the drama or fanfare; jusayin'.
  11. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long do you anticipate this solicitation process will continue? I have learned to live with the chaos in trying to find content. I think it is inevitable, and with a site this large, and active, it is nearly impossible to control. I don’t know what the answer is. I DO look forward to a weekly, or so, thd update listing the major events happening in “our realm” of adv motorcycling, even if it is on another site. I would also like to know what the highest traffic thds are. Make it a subscribe, unsubscribe thd that is at the top of the “home” page that everyone can find. I do stumble on other thds, mostly referenced in thds I am currently reading. I am subscribed to enough thds, it is almost a full time job for me to keep up, and I’m retired! As a final note, I mostly read round the world trip reports, some bike specific model discussions and some jokes. It’s a great site! Remember, you can’t please everyone! Do what you feel is right and you can change it if the subscriptions fall off to your newsletter. GOOD LUCK!
  12. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t have an issue with ADVrider sending me emails/notifications. At least this will be content that I am potentially interested in........unlike the usual unsolicited crap coming via email or now (my new favorite:dirtdog) freakin crank cell phone solicitations....what the hell is going on?:dhorse
  13. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Dafuq is a "thds" ??
  14. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thds = threads. Didn’t think it was that difficult. Next time, I’ll spell it all out.
    jub jub likes this.
  15. Super38ACP

Super38ACP You can get anything you want...Excepting Alice

Oddometer:
    Oh I agree with that and it isn’t lost on me, I imagine it is not lost on many and I do appreciate that it was brought up. I might even want this particular newsletter if it is different from the usual, it is just that this is a bit of a sore spot with so many forums doing this lately and sending e-mail even though you are opted out of e-mail.

There has to be a better way...

Perhaps the an example newsletter could be provided with a linked alert banner (like we got for this thread) then let people opt in... I don’t know what the answer is, I just think sending e-mail to people that have no email as a preference is highly disrespectful and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one that will be / would be pissed off about it.

I really like this place and I greatly appreciate baldy and the team for providing it, I just think this is a mistake...
  16. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    My mind went straight to acronym.

I guess omitting those 2 letters was a real time saver? :thumb
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oxford comma anyone?:lol3
  18. keenerkeen07

keenerkeen07 Adventurer

Oddometer: