Incoming: forum newsletter

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Baldy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Thanks for considering this, should be interesting seeing how it flies!
  2. gpounce

gpounce Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Youv'e taken up quite a bit of space on the top of the forum advertising the email. If space is the problem then why not replace it with a single line checkbox with title "Send me the advrider thread email" which retains the setting in the user's profile? Or perhaps keep the verbiage as advertising with the checkbox below, at which point this thread need not exist. The advertising text is easy to scroll past.

I have no problem with email newsletters, but I sure appreciate the senders who do not sent them by default assuming that I'm going to be interested. Its a little tedious to uncheck the "send email notifications" on various sites I log into for various reasons- but at least the checkbox is there on some of them. I have a slowly growing exim filter to comprehensively delete email from the sites that don't care.

But I do appreciate you all going to the trouble of trying to find out and honor users' preferences.
  3. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @MaddBrit, totally get it if you don't want the emails but there's a better way to opt-out... Marking emails as spam really makes life difficult for sites, especially the ones you enjoy using. Just click unsubscribe, and i'll go ahead and remove you from the list as well. Marking emails from sites you use and have signed up for as spam can actually get them banned from services that allow them to send emails like notifications which 99.99% of users depend on and want.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  4. Rudy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for being open minded, seeing popular and interesting content emails isn't for everyone but given the quality of the posts here I like our chances that you won't mind it :)
    bomber60015 likes this.
  5. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    sounds good B!
  6. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    ER70S-2 and ozmoses like this.
  7. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Due to this, does it make sense to send a mass email? With over 300,000 members, of which only a small percentage are active, it seems likely that a huge number of people are going to be unaware that an email is coming, and equally unaware that marking it as spam could have a damaging effect on this initiative and future communications.
  8. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lookin forward to the email ;-}
  9. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Interesting comments from people who've benefited from this site for free for so many years. I don't like spammy emails but I don't mind getting one from ADV and if it doesn't interest me I'll unsubscribe.
  10. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    How can we be sure the mail is indeed coming from advrider? In general, I never click on links in emails, as link can be fake, ie hazardous. What about having a switch in profile?
  11. Super38ACP

Super38ACP You can get anything you want...Excepting Alice

Oddometer:
    So let me ask a question.

If a person has set a preference to “no mail” or in other words “asked ADV not to send e-mail” and ADV does not respect that request for no mail, why should that user then respect ADV’s request to not mark it spam?

An excellent point, I might also suggest that the entries in the memorial thread be unsubscribed, many of them may bounce, but there is no telling who may be in control of those accounts and what sort of impact an unexpected e-mail could have.

Why is asking that preferences which are set in the control panel be honored “interesting” it seems a reasonable position to me.

If in fact those preferences are going to be honored and those with them set to not receive mail are not going to get this newsletter then please just say so, because that is pretty much my only issue with it, and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.

As I’ve already said, I do appreciate the site and the efforts.
  12. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I like the idea.
    Looking forward to the emails.
    LadyDraco and Rudy like this.
  13. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m looking forward to the content, too. Fire a dummy off as a post on this THREAD and let’s see what it might look like! That might help format the content and help folks decide if they are interested or not.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree that anything set in an inmates “preferences” should absolutely be respected.
    Switchblade315 likes this.
  15. Rudy

Oddometer:
    We have a header in the email with the logo and it'll be marked as from @advrider.com. You'll know :)
    Road Rash and LadyDraco like this.
  16. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    When is this email going to be sent?
  17. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great!
  18. DTSB

DTSB Hello!

Oddometer:
    I like! How do I get on the email list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I got "the email" a few minutes ago...politely unsubscribed. <shrug> Not my cup of tea. Understand the effort, easy enough to unsubscribe although the language in the Unsubscribe landing page made it almost seem like I was leaving advrider.com. It made me think twice before hitting the unsubscribe button. Maybe a little clearer language could help?

Here's how Unsubscribe reads:

We're sorry to see you go, but hey, no hard feelings, hopefully we will see you back one day.
    Please fill in your email address in order to unsubscribe from the list.
    You will receive an email to confirm your unsubscription, just to make sure this is not an accident or somebody else tries to unsubscribe you.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  20. Rudy

Oddometer:
    Good feedback thank you, we'll clean that page up.
    HardWorkingDog likes this.