1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Increased performance R1150GS ???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rhino boy, Oct 14, 2002.

1. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    After much research and discussion, I am now contemplating making a few changes to improve mid-range.

These are;

1. Replace stock air filter with K&N (Done)
    2. Replace fuel injection air inducts with those from R1100RS/RT (wider and allow more rapid air flow)
    3. Remove Cat and replace with Staintune (retain OEM exhaust)
    4. Replace snorkel with wider one from Boxer Performance or similar.

My investigations lead me to believe I can obtain 5-7hp in the mid-range and sacrifice a little torque.

Has anyone done this or similar and if so - what were the results.

I will complete this work in next week or two and will advise findings.
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Could you save your receipts and post total cost, if you don't mind?

I'm guessing this'll run you about $300 per HP gained.
  3. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    In Aussie dollars the costs are:

Staintune $440
    2 x Manifolds $80
    K&N $90
    Air Induct $250

AUD $860 or USD 420 - under USD 100 per HP gain!

Cheap, given that chips don't really work (Motronics tries to rewrite), the problem is air in and gas out and that standard OEM pipe is as efficient as any after market pipe. You could easily spend twice as much - get more Big Swinging Dick talking power but no performance increase different to that suggested.
  4. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    According to the dyno runs I have been making since new there are several no-cost gains to be had... Increase the valve lash and advance the timing to full (if your motor can handle it) and run the TPS idle voltage to near max. This resulted in 2-4 HP increase alone (depending on where you measure it). Then when I added the cat converter it added another 2-3 HP to the mid range to bottom. The only $'s spent were on the cat converter. Also the K&N air filter is known to let much more shit into the engine. This is fine as long as you know and accept the downstream consequences.... JJ
  5. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    I had a K&N filter on my R1100RS for over 80K miles....valve clearances never changed, oil consumption was non-existent after the 50K break-in period, and oil changes every 6K miles had nice, clean Mobil1 or Castrol coming out. Where did all the extra dirt go?

Jon
  6. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    I had a K&N on the previous R1150GS - no problems.

I have just completed 3300 k's (half off road, 300k's in severe dust storms!) with a K&N and just removed it to clean it and it served its purpose well, it was filthy and took a while to clean.

I guess there will always be different viewpoints on this vs that. I can only relay what I have found to be the case and replacing stock filter with K&N is the first thing I do to a BMW!
  7. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Most of it just passes thru the engine, and some of it gets retained in various places inside the cylinders. I'll let your imagination fill in the blanks on that....

JJ

8. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I think the best bang for the buck is y-pipe and Remus can. Dynos indicate the 5-7hp gain and great mid range.

I think you can spend a lot of money on the air flow and not get much out of it. The oil head is not really an air starved motor. When I had my S the guys on the S site all wanted more HP out of the oil head. Lennie from down under and SJBMW both developed a new air box that helped some. The new snorkle and K&N will not do much without an improved air box that has been flow bench tested.

Go here and search for HP, these guys have a lot of oil head power info. It is an S site but it's the same basic engine.
  9. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Go where?
  10. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Of course the S guys wanted more power......SV650's pick on it for godsakes. :)

Jon
  11. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer: