Incredible planet - MONGOLIYA 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mishutka, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Mishutka

Mishutka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :) :)
    our study showed that they are released with a reserve in case of a nuclear winter.
    it costs about $ 11.

https://conin.ru/vanna-otsinkovannaya-80l/
    Visian, Vikingtazz and Anders- like this.
  2. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Yes! The Off-road People are back! Please keep the story and pictures coming!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:photog:photog:photog
  3. Mishutka

Mishutka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    01 690R - broke (engine) - evacuation - the route did not reach
    02 XR650L - broke down (engine) - evacuation - the route did not reach

03 690R - broke (frame) - repaired - drove
    04 690R - broke (electrics) - repaired - drove
    05 690R - broke (engine) - drove in tow 4 km to the finish line
    06 690R - broke (electrics) - repaired - drove
    07 690R - broke (radiator) - repaired - arrived
    08 xt660 - broke (rim) - repaired - drove
    09 drz400 - broke (hub) - repaired - drove
    10 xr250 - broke (engine) - drove in tow 20 km to the finish line
    11 xr250 - broke (suspension) - repaired - drove
    12 xr250 - did not break

only serious motorcycle breakdowns are included in this list
    Wheel punctures or a blown bulb are not counted.:1drink
    forgorin, Vikingtazz, Amphib and 5 others like this.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    amazing landscape....i watched the vids and told myself to enjoy them since those are closest i'll ever see Mongolia.

great job!
    Amphib likes this.
  5. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:bubba
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    An Epic ride and well documented!
  7. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed that. Great job to all involved!
  8. James59

James59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New Touratech accessory, tin bath.
    squadraquota likes this.
  9. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Спасибо, начинаю смотреть.

По моему ангглийский перевод совсем даже нормальный.
  10. Incredulous

Incredulous Peanut Gallery

Oddometer:
    So this trip was hard on equipment .

Thanks for the rundown.

Great vid of an epic trip!
  11. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    balls of steel.
  12. Mishutka

Mishutka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An amazing man was found - Alexander!
    He voluntarily agreed to translate our story :))

We are starting our report - series!
    There will be photos and a story about every day of the trip.
    Other people will even have comments from other participants, they are quite difficult to get, these tough guys are not talkative :))
    bomose likes this.
  13. Mishutka

Mishutka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weird things started even before we took the flight. Vereschagin had his date of trip changed, but for some reason he still booked his flight different from Ivanov and Me. I arrived in Domodedovo too early, we had a “shot tea” and waved to him when he was taking off. Then I had to wait for the Cosmonaut who was crawling through the traffic which was also willing to get away to the countryside. Evening was approaching, and while waiting I had to have 2 expensive airport meals and drained half of my phone battery whatsapping. Finally he arrived.

We met the sunrise while approaching Barnaul. The mirror surface of the lakes was reflecting the red and orange sun rays, focusing and burning a myriad of funky patterns on our airplane.

[​IMG]

Barnaul airport met us with shabby yellow cabins of ZIL-130 (a typical soviet truck), which looked really stylish. The airport turned out to be very small - no boarding bridges or special buses. Get out to the airfield and walk your way to the terminal.

The baggage belt was slowly moving very diverse suitcases and bags, and a dog clothed in a “Police” vest was dodging them and jumping over, just like super mario bros. Women with tough faces, bodies and spirit dressed up in aprons and bonnets labelled as “Honest taxi” were trying to sell the tourists a transfer to the city center for 500 rubles (about 8 euros), even though if you order it via Yandex-taxi app (Russian Uber) it would cost only 180 rub.

Having arrived at the warehouse which was storing our bikes, I realised that I had missed the fact that it was a very early morning (due to my post-flight anabiosis I guess) and the warehouse was yet closed, and we would have to wait for an hour. The industrial zone is empty, the warehouse has a gigantic padloc on the gates. No restaurants around, so we decided to move on and find a grocery store to kill the time.

The border between the industrial zone and the residential area is quite curious to see. Miscellaneous crooked fences and fresh house-sidings. Barricades of stones and old tires along the fences, so that drivers avoiding deep puddles on the road wouldn’t go through the gardens uncontrollably. Judging by the size of the dry craters on the road, the puddles get to grow very deep when it rains, indeed.

The sagged grocery kiosk has a classic set-up: a tough saleswoman, calculator, register and a notebook with “debtors”. People from the vicinity looked hurried - this is the end of a tram line. The waking city makes itself felt by increasing buzz and keeps relentlessly sucking people from the suburbs in.

[​IMG]

Alright, motorcycles out, baggage attached. Vereshcagin’s quality assurance rejected Ivanov’s set-up and made him correct how the baggage fit on the bike.

And moved we out into the unknown. My garmin had only the Mongolia map and a piece of the Altay region. Riding through the milky mist. Also, I had no documents, since the Turtle had taken them with him a day before, and now I was pursuing a quest. I had to find a café on the highway only by having a photo of it, and take the documents from a cashier who should pass the documents to the successive shift. And we made it! I got the documents and we celebrated it with a meal and a double compote (traditional boiled-fruit drink).

On the tarmac we go at different paces, so we have chosen a road to drive along and regularly meet, so that we don't create emergency situations. And yes, you've guessed it right, everyone took different roads instead.

[​IMG]

I met Vereschagin in a café already at night. The settlement there had some internet connection which allowed us to easily find each other. After having a hot meal I was full of energy and obeyed my navigation's suggestion for a short route. Exactly after 10 minutes our bikes were stopped by a decent mountain river.

We had about 120km to cover for the resting place. Pitch darkness. And the freshly consumed meal is whispering from the inside: "Don't be scared, it's just a ford", "take a closer look, you can see it through to the bottom", "we've done it a thousand times already".

Vereschagin suggested that going round would be a wise decision. And here it all started. Had he offered to turn back, everything could have gone differently, however the flywheel of adventures had already begun spinning. Looking for a bypass seems to be a permanent mindset of the "regular offroadpeople hero". So we went along the river following a bearing to find a bypass.

At start, everything seemed to be harmless, then we started having some bumps, then grass started to appear (the bumps were still there), then the wheels started squishing and slurping and the bumps and grass grew in size. Then as soon as I saw the bridge which the gps suggested to take as a bypass, my front wheel slid into a substance filled with sticky liquid and I started separating from the bike into the darkness, subject to all the accumulated kinetic energy.

A bit further away I noticed Vereschagin and by the looks of his pottering I understood that he didn't have a lot of opportunity to rescue me, and the radio connection just confirmed it. He had also got stuck, but in a better spot and minimally sucked into the swamp. I started calculating my self-rescue options - the bike was stuck in the old river bed. The disturbed slurry was stinking and the meal in the stomach stayed quiet… I couldn't pull it back alone, that's for sure, and if I push it forward, I still had to go back. Dilemma.

A car passed over the bridge and the lights fell on pedestrian bridges just a little ahead of us! Rescue! I suggested my plan to Vereschagin, but he disapproved and suggested going back using our tracks. I didn't have that option and for me it meant only FORWARD. Which I did, at a price of becoming dirty. After I reached the pedestrian bridges I managed to get to a dry place where I waited for Mike while he was going around the swamp.

[​IMG]

We kept moving further in the default night mode: no speed limit breaking and not going beyond visibility limits. While were were subject to another documents inspection we witnessed a case of non-compliance to the border control officers. Despite a lot of signalling from the officers a white lowered white Priora (Lada model) passed through at full throttle. Here it should start, thought I, and here's my chance to shoot some chasing action! Huh, nope. The officers just started inspecting our documents even with more diligence. No heroism on duty.

So here we are at the clearing! The birthday celebrant, the team is drunk and we still have more to drink. The moon is full, it's not raining, we have some firewood. What else would anyone need after 600km in the saddle?

A health to the man on trail this night! (Jack London)

Also we decided that we wanted a cake with tea in the night. Andrey PG started warming up his powerful stove, but it was coughing and acting capricious, Andrey put more pressure on it with no results. Then he gave it another push and the device yelled "Pufff"!

Everything around went on fire: Andrey was on fire, the device was on fire, the fuel can on fire. Acting like a hero Andrey kicked the burning stove with courage, hoping to remedy the situation. The device soared over the clearing illuminating the trees around and landed right next to the tents. "Fuck", sighed the multi-tone forest echo...

The group went wary, since losing the tents and sleeping bags was clearly not in our plans. Here Sergey Ivanov threw a clod of earth with a precise motion and rushed onto the flaming device. The fire gave up and was defeated. The victory and salvation of the tent camp was celebrated with a glass of red wine and dancing.

Oleg Maximov

The one day, which the catching up company had to make it to us, we lived through in two days. The already familiar Barnaul airport friendly met our other part of the mission and sheltered it for a while until the closest McDonnald's was open, which they visited before receiving the motorcycles.

The staff there has no imagination. The main room opens at 7am, and we cam there by 6:30am, but they didn't serve through the drivethrough without a car. We were honking, simulating engine sounds, moving the imaginary handlebars but nothing worked out. We were helped out by the locals, who gave us a ride in their car to be served by the staff.

[​IMG]

We were receiving the motorcycles with a lot of anxiety and excitement, but its best to here from the one who had to be the most nervous. They fueled up and went off to meet the adventures. The road to Biysk was accompanied by motorcycle repairs, glueing the inner tubes and biting some ice-cream. The main thought along the way was "just not fall asleep".
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  14. Mishutka

Mishutka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The first day.

Bonnie & Clyde likes this.