INDIA Calling : Everything you wanna know

Discussion in 'Asia' started by bunny_punia, Nov 13, 2007.

1. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Bunny,

so if you want to go north from India say on a RTW trip what would you do?

rossco
  2. bunny_punia

bunny_punia 18,634 feet : Oh Yes!

Oddometer:
    The prob with India is that.. u cant get out from Pakistan side (political issues)
    You cant get out from Nepal-Tibet side (not allowed). The only way is to fly out... Buses / grp travel is possible from Nepal into Tibet but bikes are a no no - not possible!!
  3. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Thats a bitch because you have to fly from Thailand too I understand. So flying from Darwin-Singapore, Thailand-India, India-Iran or Tajikistan I suppose.

rossco
  4. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    gotcha now bunny, good effort, i misread what you set out as an ad rather than as a link thread.

i'd say welcome but you're no newbie, hopefully you stick around and force us aussies to pick up our game.
  5. ChrisCrossed

ChrisCrossed Now sans KLX...

Oddometer:
    Looks like good info to me. Thanks for putting it up bunny.

My brother- in -law has spent some time in India, mainly the Himilayas developing his avalanch prediction probe. He's trying to talk us in to a trip form south to north on Enfields. We agreed when we were pissed - but still considering in the hard light of sobriety.
  6. bunny_punia

Oddometer:
    KLX : Make this 'considering' a reality :)
    mouse : I m here for good, stayin on ADV foreva :D
    ross : yep
  7. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    ohhh....shit......alright then,
    +1
    sorry, bunny

(i wouldn't go so far as to say "force us aussies to pick up our game". you can always pick up the damn rodent's game, though. fucken!)
  8. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    agreed!
  9. LovemaX

LovemaX The Riding FreeBird

Oddometer:
    Hey bunny seems like everything is back on track
    and Bunny seems to be advising all the fella's again...

:freaky

~m~
  10. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Bunny has given a snapshot of what you can expect in india in terms of riding around. It could help you work out your budget and plan your trip in case you intend to come here in the future.

I would suggest, though that you take the advice of us natives so that you can get the maximum bang for your buck (and time). Bad planning/prep can make your trip a nightmare - and you will miss out on a great experience. As Bunny mentioned, there is a lot to see (and a different "best time" to see different things). It's not just scenery, also a lot of historical stuff that can make your jaws drop (eg a fort built IN the sea which has withstood nature for 1000 years - the stones show erosion, not the mortar). I hated histry at school, but this stuff's different.

OK, end of the govt conceptualized "incredible india" tourism pitch.

Please do not judge India, the culture or the people using "indianboy" as a sample. Random samples ARE sometimes non representative. While Bunny is closely associated with Indianboy (helped found the website that guy owns and was sidelined thereafter) and the GIR (from the PR standpoint, not the economic one), he is out of the loop as far as the GAUR is concerned - and not "selling" anything here.

Indianboy has his own thread somewhere out there for those who wish to help him, lets keep the focus on this on helping those who want to plan a trip here
    :thumb

@ outback: Who do you think is paying those clowns to call you?:D
  11. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    good one arn

ummm the obvious = outback himself!
  12. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Good Stuff Bunny! Thanks for taking the time to post that info, hopefully one day I'll get to make use of it & plan an Indian motorcycling holiday :D Australia & maybe the US are going to be first though...

It would be really cool to have similar 'Everything you wanna know' threads for NZ & Oz to direct curious travellers to. Maybe one day when I'm really bored I'll use your post as a template & do an NZ version. :norton

Cheers
    Clint
  13. tri boy

tri boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    India. Great place.
    "Kingfisher Strong" ale, Kardung La crossing, Awesome.
    Had a blast in 97, and keen to do it again. (mind you, if your having a bad day in India, altitude sickness/upset gut, your having a shitty time):rofl
  14. bunny_punia

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support fellas :) , specially arn

one lil mistake. FUel is USD 1.1 in north India (i wrote 11 by mistake!) , around USD 1.2 in south
  15. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Spend DAYS reading stuff on http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Think Pakistan will come good .. the KKH looks nice .. Going north is China .. see the HU site for that.

That is much better!
  16. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure about Pak.

Ol' Mush is the only guy who can pit all the various factions against each other and his army is beginning to lose control of towns to the Taliban, precisely what the US does not want, and something that has never happened before. As that happens, each region will be presided over by a warlord, levying his "taxes" (something like Afganisthan?)

The majority of the political spectrum from the fundamentalists to the corrupt and until recently, expat opposition are baying for his blood, and it's becoming increasingly difficult for the US to prop up their puppet - but they have to. Pak has nukes, and it should be interesting to see what happens if the Taliban seize power.

Unfortunately, when things are not well at home, politicians tend to start looking outside for enemies. After that, anybody who questions them for whatever reason is not a "patriot" (have we seen this elsewhere too?).

That does not bode well for indo pak relations.
  17. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    this question is prolly answerable elsewhere, but anyway....
    how would one ship a bike to india ex melb? whatsit cost? is a carnet needed? is an aussie bike likely to get stolen there? is it worth it (or just hire)?

:lurk
  18. bunny_punia

Oddometer:
    You could fly ur bike to Delhi (from where it will get cleared in a matter of hours without much hassels). I have seen the likes of R1200GS to the likes of the Honda Transalp being flown into Delhi airport and cleared out in a days time. You can opt for the same.

As for bike being stolen, if you stay the night in good hotels with safe parking, the bike will be urs forever :)
  19. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    how realistic is that second statement bunny?
  20. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    bunny, if i stay a good hotels, the trip would costs BIG$. whow much $ are we talkkinh here?
    i would want to stay in simple places (clean and inexpensive). sounds like i might have to have a string connected between the bike and my big toe.