INDIA Calling : Everything you wanna know

Discussion in 'Asia' started by bunny_punia, Nov 13, 2007.

1. SmackleFunky

SmackleFunky Left side stacker

Oddometer:
    umm. Say goodbye to your big toe (shortly after saying goodbye to your bike)
  2. bunny_punia

bunny_punia 18,634 feet : Oh Yes!

Oddometer:
    I have been in touch with around 5-6 RTW riders personally, and have known about equal no of riders from my friends. None of them faced such theft issues.

In big cities like Delhi, a good hotel with private parking (karol bagh area) would cost aroud Rs 1400-1600 (t/v , airconditioning etc) , ie around USD 35-40 or Aus $ 40-45.

In smaller cities, expect to pay 20-25% less.

Up north in the hills, you can get a decent room in a hotel with private parking for around Rs 700-800 ( USD 18-20 , Aus $ 20-22).

Even if you have to stay in a hotel which has no private parking, jus be friendly with the owner, pay a couple of dollars to the waiter/guard and he will be more than happy to keep an eye on the bike all night long - no kidding!

So if you are doing a 15day trip in north India (on twin sharing basis), accomodation cost would come to around max USD 200 / Aus $ 230 per person for 15nights. Add in USD 100 / Aus $ 110 for food / mineral water for 15days (decent and good places) and the total for food and sleep comes to USD 300 / Aus $ 340

Add in flight charges / bike flight charges and fuel (for bike, and for urself - beer!)
  3. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:

maaaaate, you forgot the wimmin!!!!!!!!!

maybe the trick is to rent a pillion for the trip, who sleeps by the bike. now that's a nasty thought.
  4. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get your bike in, your main hassle will be repairs (not the welding/minor breakage kinda thing) - anything that requires a bike specific part/knowledge. Apart from the major metros (and perhaps not even in some metros) you will not get ANYthing - you have some hard choices and will be looking at big$$ if you need something that has to be shipped in. If your bike is bullet proof reliable, go for it, else, give the options a thought. Also, do remember that you will get 93 octane petrol only in the major towns - your bike should be happy with 87 octane.

Your bike has little chance of being stolen, if you exercise common sense safety precautions simply because it would be very difficult to sell thereafter. It would make NO sense for the casual thief. Obviously, if you run into a focussed group that wants YOUR SPECIFIC bike it's a different thing, and odds are that such a group would have died of starvation a long time ago due to a lack of targets. Yes, a lot of pests will try to sit on it while it is parked and you are away, changing EVERY setting they can lay their grubby paws on - a dust cover would be a good idea .

As far as the graft bit is concerned, different people have had different experiences. I believe there is quite a good thread on HU about a guy who cleared his bike from Delhi airport within the day with absolutely no hassles.
  5. bunny_punia

bunny_punia 18,634 feet : Oh Yes!

Oddometer:
    one of the many RTW guys i have met. this couple, eric and hanka, also got their bikes out of the airport on the same day. read here - Eric and hank

Scroll down to - India - m archenhafles rajasthan and read march 2005 text
  6. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Shmerel... You're thinking of Thailand you bloody scoundrel :lol3 Maybe ride through there on the way eh!? :wink:
  7. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    Bump!
  8. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    this thread is great, never knew it existed. Thanks for the bump.
  9. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    great. now post something.
  10. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Oh hello!! We still wandering around this thread? So when are you off to Thailand Shmerel?? :wink:
  11. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    july 2, bangkok.
    in krabi district july 6 for 7 days
  12. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Well you behave yourself NOT! :lol3
  13. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings from California,
    I'm going Delhi to Leh and possibly beyond in June/July, approximately 2 weeks, perhaps a little lonnger. Can you give me some current info on renting a moto in Delhi. I'm looking for specific places to rent motos that are in GREAT shape. $ is less of a concern than quality! Instead of the Enfield what about renting a Japanese bike, such as a Karisma? Any contacts and info will be much appreciated. What are my optons beside Bullet Wallas, Lalli Singh? Give me as much advise and specific contacts as you can!
    Thanx!
  14. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Lalli Singh is good if you want bullet. Renting a Karizma would not be a bad idea because its got better fuel economy, good in ladakh where fuel pumps are scarce. Theres a lot of people in Karol Bagh (6 miles from my home) who rent bikes, i will contact them for you.

But if you want suggestions, get a bullet, its an experience you wont mention less than twice everytime after. And just go to Lalli Singh.

Inder Motors
    1740-A/55(basement) Hari Singh Nalwa Street,
    Abdul Aziz Road,
    Karol Bagh,
    New Delhi 110005
    India
    Phone:Tel:91-11-25728579, 91-11-25722869
    Fax:91-11-25755812,91-11-25781052
    E-mail:lallisingh@vsnl.com

Bunny knows a lot more guys than I do, he can give you more info, Right bunny?
  15. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless you are planing to ride 2 up, where the superior lugging power of the larger engined bullet 500 is handy, the karizma is a far superior bike in terms of refinement and general road behaviour. It is also a lot easier to pick up if dropped, and alloy wheels mean that you can go tubeless, therefore puncture repairs are not a nightmare. The 350 cc bullet has more torque than the Karizma, but can be easily outbraked and out accelerated by the smaller bike, not to mention outrun as well. The sluggish throttle response of the bullet (350) does not make for good overtaking.

Minus point of the Karizma - No spares. But this is one thing you will not NEED if you get a new bike, as NOTHING will break/go wrong (except plastics if you drop it heavily). A used karizma, more than 10000 km on it, OTOH may not be so wise, as it may need parts which will be difficult to come by.

Also, bullets are a lottery. There will be those which will do 50000km with no issues, and those which have some engine related issue every other day
  16. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding solo. I understand the "romance" of the Enfield but I've ridden motos enough that my love is more determined by trouble free riding and as few mechanical issues as possible. That's why I only want to hire a moto in excellent condition and am interested in alternatives to the Enfield. Probably will end up riding one but just want to know all options.
    I'm also interested in motos with right foot/break, left foot/gearshift configuration.
    Arn, and others, do you know of any vendors that rent or have a "buy back" scheme for the Karisma?
    Again any and all info on specifics of renting/ "buy back" out of Delhi will be much appreciated.
    Thanx!
  17. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

Will make a few calls tomorrow and let you know. But what you can do is get a used karizma and sell it off easily when you are done. In Karol bagh auto market you can buy and sell within minutes. But like Arn said, Karizma is far better than bullet in many aspects and since bullet is not your no. 1 choice, get a Kzma wouldnt be a bad choice at all.
  18. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could contact andy(at)indiabikesdot( c o m ). He is in the motorcycle rental business.

He, like me, is mumbai based but may be able to advise you/give you options.

All other bikes (some enfields apart) have a right brake left gear setup.

You could also contact KRP, (Kaulsons racing products) Delhi based, they would be able to help you with the tyres as well.
  19. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chanderjeet, let me know what you find out, and go wake up Bunny and tell him to give me some advice!
    Arn, I see Andy has a location in Delhi too. I sent him an email to see what he can do.
    Thanx again,
    C.
  20. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard back from Andy at Indiabikes.com.
    Rental of a new Enfield 500cc is $225 US Dollars a week with a $1,800 deposit.
    Seems like it would just make sense to buy one and then re-sale it? What are going prices for used Enfields with LOW miles in EXCELLENT shape? How about the Karisma?
    Any more ideas? Thanx!