INDIA Calling : Everything you wanna know

Discussion in 'Asia' started by bunny_punia, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Coldc,

I will try to answer you questions with whatever limited knowledge i possess.

- Route to Delhi is Delhi - Chandigarh - Shimla - Manali - Jispa - Sarchu - Pang - Leh. Try this http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/navigator/Delhi-Leh-Khardung.asp

- There are two roads that leads to manali. First is Delhi to manali via Roopnagar.

[​IMG]

- Second is from Delhi to manali via Shimla. After shimla its pretty much a single highway.

[​IMG]

- Delhi to manali is about 500 kms. Two days should be enough time to reach there. Just one thing, dont try to cross any passes post 3-4pm. It gets scary up there.

- Although i would prefer to avoid shimla but you should go through shimla. Its fun for first time.

- Leave before 6 am and you wont find much traffic. Karol Bagh is about 20 kms from city limit.

- There would be makeshift tents and other accomodation available along your route. Just enquire from guys where would be the next one before start your day in mountains. Sleeping bag can be a good idea. It gets pretty cold up there and you want it when it gets cold.

- Oh well, advise is one thing you get for free in India :) I have lots but then you'd only do what you want to do. Only a word of caution, dont ride fast, you're hear to enjoy, ride slow and enjoy the beauty. Dont cover distance, try to cover the landscape.

- Offer of saddle bags still stands (FREE) if they are not in use. I may be heading to leh myself in those days. Also, I dont drink :p

- I can surely help you out in Karol Bagh but rental usually means you paying whole price of bike or "A xerox copy of your passport + your return ticket". They have a buy back options wherein they sell you the bike and agree to buy the bike at a certain price.
  2. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info and the distance maps you posted are extremely helpful.
    I do want to take my time to enjoy the route, just want to get up to Manali asap and then take my time on over to Leh. Sounds like two days to Manali is ok with an early start out of Delhi.
    Advice from several people indicates that the sleeping bag is a must especially since I plan to stay in Sarchu along the way.
    You know my desire to go "non-Enfield," but I don't want to spend too much time looking for a bike so the buy-back scheme at Lali Singh might just be the easiest option.
    OK, I'll drink your beer, but I'd like to buy you dinner for all your help. I arrive Delhi in the evening of the 30th and will go to Karol Bagh early morning Tuesday July 1st.
    Thanks again,
    C
  3. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    the time has come for you gentleman to join the rest of the world! after all, you're lousy at cricket, so maybe you can do better with this project:

please have a look at
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336702

after the banner does canada, us of a, australia and New Zealand we would like it to do India, and then Africa and Europe.

are there any reliable adv riding co-ordinators there in India?

come on, boys and girls, let's have some fun.
  4. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    :augie :thumb Posted on the thread.
  5. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have some route in mind?

Or do you want us to fix you a route? A superslab run, or just across the country?
  6. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    you sort it out yourselves.:thumb
  7. alfonso-lanka

alfonso-lanka Mercator

Oddometer:
    Dear Bunny,

I will be coming to Delhi for a tour in the northwest region (Kinnaur, Spiti, Ladakh, Nubra) next year. Can you advise me about bike rental?
    At home, I'm riding a Bajaj Avenger, and would prefer to use the same type for this trip. Or would you advise against this type of bike ( a cruiser isn't the best choice for bad roads, as there's almost no weight on the front wheel).
    I will be staying for about 1 month. Is Bajaj company renting out bikes? Or do you know any trustworthy places in Delhi. I'll be staying around Kashmir Gate for the first night (or two) to get things organised.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Alfonso
    Sri Lanka
  8. Marcbar

Marcbar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any experience of buying a Royal Enfield in India and then riding around India before shipping the bike back to Australia. Is it easy or difficult? What are the pros and cons?
    Also what are your thoughts about the people at Soni Motors in Karol Bagh with regard to buying or renting from.
  9. Marcbar

Marcbar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me which model of Royal Enfield is the best to hire for traveling on Indian roads?
  10. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hire whatever NEW bike you can get, a disc brake version. Carry a really large toolkit. After that, pray hard. Real hard. http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/naughty.gif

Tip: Dont expect to out accelerate anything above 125cc while riding the 350. The 500 may just about keep up with "modern" bikes displacing less than half as much, with a lot of wheezing, though.

Enjoy!
  12. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

As a foreigner you cant buy a bike in india till you possess a certain document from your embassy. Once you have that doc, you can buy a bike and the dealers will later ship it to you once you have ridden it everywhere you want to. Really isnt much of a big deal and usually goes very smooth.
  13. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Hiring bike based on Road conditions. Thats a first :lol2
    You know, the roads arent too bad. They arent exactly finest but still, they get the job done. Any how, get a 500.
  14. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    :bluduh
  15. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    Well, mate, get off your proverbial arse and start posting. There are sooo many riders in India, and sooo many nice places to visit! :deal
  16. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Heyy, c'mon, I don't think the topic of your interest is gonna come up here any time soon .....anything ELSE you want to know, feel free to ask :D
  17. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    just trying to wake you sleepy heads up!

you do ride, right?
  18. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Yes, and probably more than you, thats why we have less time to post. Anyways, if you don't have anything helpful to post, better keep you efforts of waking us up to yourself.

People ARE getting their answers, if that helps you feel better. There's always the PM button you know.
  19. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    Well, sahib, on that note, a timely reminder for you ...

:asshat
  20. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Now you have to find and quote posts from threads in other forums and resort to this >>> :asshat to prove your point. Boy, how insecure are you over the no. of posts you have made and how many of those actually are useful contribution to the site. If you don't have anything helpful to add to this thread but just your ego, then please spare us. Now back to regular discussions.