Indian FTR1200 - Flat Tracker

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by grip-wolrd, Oct 8, 2018.

1. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I figured as people will inevitably take this bike off-road or do longer tours on it that I would start a thread for it and see how it develops.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket support, even for those wanting to turn it into a bit more of an adventurer.

Overall I think the specs are decent but could maybe do with a bit more suspension travel for rougher stuff. If I were to get one I would be very tempted to do a bit of scrambling with it.

Discuss!

ps: the other thread for some 750 ADV Indian didnt make sense to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bobw and Max Kool like this.
  2. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I get this bike is a flat tracker but the subframe doesn't leave much for hanging soft bags or even strapping gear down. I'm sure people will come up with something though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  3. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree hopefully there'll be some sub-frame for luggage. It would be nice to see Touratech makes something for them or similarly reputable company.
  4. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if there will be enough of a demand for that kind of stuff for this bike for someone to make anything, but I would guess at least one of the players might.
    I would also assume there would be a way to make use of the passenger grab handle mounts and passenger pegs to add some racks.
  5. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    Ducati clone?
    Monkeyshines and Dutch idiot like this.
  6. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    If I wanted a naked bike, I'd just get the Monster 1200.

17" wheels, shorter wheelbase (all better for handling) and about 30 more horses than the Indian.

I like what Indian's doing here, I just think I'll wait to see what the 3rd generation of the bike is before pursuing.
  7. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Copy-pasted the headlight and fender back (I want it):

IMG_5201.jpg
    Doug Fremder, builditjr and JustKip like this.
  8. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd have to ride them both first. That extra 30 HP would only matter on high speed sweepers, where you're already in "go directly to jail" territory, or on the track.
  9. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:

I saw this in person yesterday. No way. Has a completely different feel. Looks better to me than a monster. It's a little longer/bigger, so better ergos for adults with actual legs.

I wish they had reversed the dash on the base model, with an analog tach and a digital speed readout, but that is a minor issue.

Gustavo
    grip-wolrd, Vertical C and JustKip like this.
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Even under those conditions, if you can't go fast on a bike with 120 HP, 30 more HP are not going to help... :deal

Gustavo
    Mobiker, lamotovita, YJake and 3 others like this.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also the "better handling" of a shorter wheelbase and smaller wheels is subjective. To many folks that's really a euphemism for nervous and harsh.
    dtsv650r and Max Kool like this.
  13. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    ...just how I like 150mm of suspension travel over 120mm in the real world.

First time I rode an M900 in the 90's I found it too twitchy. Like I was riding a 75hp rollerskate.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all, but my perspective is of someone who had the real deal 450 scrambler, not the faux rendition. :amazon
  15. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a first look at the Flat Track version from Roland Sands for the Super Hooligan series:
    [​IMG]
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this photo is the best summation of the bike for me and where I see most of its market. It's a 2019 version of what the Ducati Monster was when it was released some 25+ years ago a bit of a street hoon bike that will be fun to ride but not super practical for anything other than short day rides.
    I'm sure people will take it off road and will modify it for all sorts of things but it will never be a particularly capable ADV or even Scrambler style of bike and there will be much better starting points if you want to end up at either of those destinations. At the end of the day whatever an individual owner wants to do with their bike is their choice but for me I would be looking somewhere else for anything with off road capabilities.
    djroszina likes this.
  17. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No rear subframe, no luggage. No undercarrige protection. This bike in the target buyer segment will never see gravel let alone actual dirt. It will look nice parked next to the GSs at Starbucks.
  18. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Well, I believe it to be the Super Hooligan flat track bike for next year.
  19. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a "naked sport bike", I'd agree, there are a lot of other choices. However, as a "scrambler"-this looks very good. Top of the class for HP and features (again-scrambler, not ADV).
  20. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea what that protrusion is hanging down at the very back of the case? Looks like something that would get torn off if ridden in the dirt. Maybe the mount for the cat with the stock exhaust?