Indian FTR1200

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dean Ohlin, Oct 1, 2018.

1. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope.
    The Indian has twice the horsepower for a mere 50 pound tradeoff...
    Blakduk likes this.
  2. Bobbie75

Bobbie75 "Mira Cabrón!"

Oddometer:
    In the words of Wayne of "Wayne's World" -- "It will be mine one day! Oh yes it will be mine!"
  3. svahadean

svahadean und i.m. vandaring

Oddometer:
    I got up early this morning and ran over to Indian Motorcycles in Bristol, VA to inquire about tire changes ...

1.jpg

... and they were un-crating this beauty

2.jpg

... and these two were still crated but I peaked under the tarp

3.jpg
    Black and Silver model

4.jpg
    Gloss Black model (ignore the glare behind the Indian tank logo)

If any bike gets me off my BMW, it may be this one. Demo rides expected this Thursday!
    Blakduk and ozcruiser like this.
  4. wozzamatta

wozzamatta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With a 3.4 US gallon tank (12.8 litres), don't think I will be bothering.
  5. folmonty

folmonty Older I get, the faster I was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looked over one today at Arlen Ness in Dublin, CA. It's an impressive bike and feels right sitting on it. There's some hideous CA epa crap (not sure if every state has this good fortune) hanging off the left side and that plate holder looks more akin to a Cat D9 implement hanging off the back. Bet it's a fun ride. $15,749 minus the tags and tax. My experience buying a V92C first year Victory way back when isn't something I'd like to repeat. Think I'd sit and see how this goes before spending 18K for a street tracker. Some nice over detail. The engine is one big lump of metal. Props for Indian (Polaris) for taking a new track. IMHO being a diverse brand will be the difference going forward.
    IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    Farmer Roy, Dukehunt and Chalkie62 like this.
  6. svahadean

Oddometer:
    This morning at Indian motorcycles in Bristol, VA. All three FTR1200's are uncrated, cleaned up and showy:

IMG_0181.jpg
    Gloss Black

IMG_0182.jpg
    Black and Silver

IMG_0183.jpg
    Red and Silver

IMG_0185.jpg
    Out on a demo ride. At first sit, I thought I was too on top of the handlebars, but that disappeared before pulling away. The Salesman warned of wheelie-power, so I was gentle on the clutch and never felt like it would pull up from under me. I like the clutch and throttle responses. Once wound up the heat generated was right up under the bum and inner thighs. I found the solution to the heat was to go faster. No matter what gear your in, at 6000rpm she fires off like a rocket with a nice rumbly exhaust note. She corners nicely and u-turns on a dime. Some road buzz, but I chalk that up to the 90/10 tires; no mirror shake. Digital display was easy to read. I stayed in Sport Mode the whole ride. I like this bike and could see riding it no problem all day. The seat is pretty stiff, so not sure about multi-day touring though it's got cruise control.

IMG_0188.jpg
    I like the FTR1200 as a very exciting ride and though she would kick the BMW Roadster's arse in a race, the Roadster still ticks all the boxes on my ride-style list for the time being, and she's all paid for.

I think the BMW R9T vs Indian FTR1200 would be a better comparison.

Ride on!
  7. folmonty

folmonty Older I get, the faster I was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight. Think a lot on your lines, only my main ride right now is a 92 R100GS. Won't win many races with her but that's OK these days. Just want to keep riding and enjoying the sport, not necessarily at the speed of light.
    Ron50 likes this.
  8. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    $22,600 in Oz
    Chalkie62 likes this.
  9. Chalkie62

Chalkie62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would pay 25k. It was such a perfect fit and felt just right. Better than a desert sled I rode 2 weeks ago. They're $19800 rideaway.
    Blakduk likes this.
  10. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd get one of these 1200 cc Indians over a Ducati for the next bike, mainly because it is different. Too many commoners are now getting Ducatis.

Now we just need some of those gun 'reviewers' who think the KTM790 is a great off-road bike, to test ride this one down a smooth gravel road, and it'll tick all my boxes.
    Ron50, tomo8r, svahadean and 2 others like this.
  11. svahadean

Oddometer:
    Ask and ye shall receive:

After seeing this video, I think an even more relevant comparison would be Indian FTR 1200 vs BMW R1200RLC ... the new R1250R already surpasses the FTR 1200 in power at 1254cc with 136hp.

816EED55-3401-41A0-BE34-68CA5CD82746.jpeg

Ride on!
    Ron50 and Chalkie62 like this.
  12. Chalkie62

Chalkie62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Power isn't my holy grail, I have a 690 Duke R at the moment which is a great bike to ride hard. Trying to use all of its 70hp all of the time is impossible. It outhandles a lot of bigger bikes in the mountains where I live and is relatively easy on tyres. The FTR is hopefully going to be more of the same with just a bit more flexibility to do some light touring on not so smooth roads. Upright seating is only really punishing on 110km/70mph roads.
  13. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    $20,990 on the sticker today when I was checking it out at Cooly Rock.

Nice looking bike, 18" fat rear so easy to find a knobby to fit. Even my wife thought it was good value. Maybe it's the bike the XR1200 always wanted to be?

IMG20190608164905.jpg
    Wodger63, Chalkie62 and svahadean like this.
  14. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    The only thing I'm a bit suss about is that rear swingarm, looks like it came of an early XT250.
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.