Indian info needed

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by RoundOz, Apr 7, 2019.

1. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    My good lady just picked up a 2015 Indian Chief Classic with matching Hannigan Heritage chair. It’s been fitted with the “matching” spoked wheel and whitewall tire.
    It is low miles and seems in great shape but obviously the dealer knew or cared little for the machine as I found the sidecar tire with zero psi and front and rear very low. I have since pressured to 36/36/40 as better than supplied but wondered what is actually recommended for pressures for sidecar duty.
    I can’t see these rounded profile balloons lasting long on a hack and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a more car-profile tire for the back.
    The only slight drawback to the machine as a whole is it seems to have original gearing - very tall for an outfit. Anyone know if other pulleys are available to slow it down? I’m sure the engine is up to the duty but it would be nice if walking pace were possible without riding the clutch.
    That’s all for now, but I’m sure there’ll be more as the journey progresses.
  2. RoundOz

Oddometer:
  3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Tire construction will play its part, as will what weight the tire sees, as to how much PSI.

@DRONE to the black round courtesy phone, please. Caller line 3.

Depending on how much room there is to play with you may be able to go darkside.

Indian, or at least aftermarket, should have a selection of pulleys to choose from.

If you do your math you may get away with using the same belt, thereby saving money. The formula to work out what length isn't hard, you just need to know swingarm to axle length and tooth count.

Nice looking rig.

Unless it's an optical delusion, that's an interesting camber you have on the chair tire.

Flyin' Monkeys and Tmaximusv like this.
  4. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    Yes I noticed the camber too but it has on-the-fly electric camber adjustment which I haven’t even messed with yet.
  5. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Regardless, unless the swing-arm is a transverse arm the camber will not change in relation to the chair.
    Bar None likes this.
  6. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    You tweaked my geometry brain and I had to grab the key fob and check. I agree in principle about the adjustment not changing except that the whole rig raises and lowers several inches on just one side and that does change the camber angle. Unfortunately it changes from slightly negatively cambered to very much so (checked with a vertical level against the tire.
    I will have to talk to Hannigan and see if something is bent or I need to adjust the mounts. Better check toe-in as well.
    I should say the the angle of the tire versus the fender makes the negative camber look worse than it is.
  7. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I concur with FR700 about that sidecar wheel. Unless there's something very strange going on with the camera angle, the sidecar suspension is bent, or the frame is bent. Suggest you get it off the grass and on to a level surface, adjust the camber adjustment to its lowest setting, remove the fender and the suspension cover, then take a good look. If not sure what you are looking for, post some good pics so we can see what's going on.

As for the tires, a rig like that really screams for the kind of tires you have on there now. It's a style thing. You put square tires on that rig and it will just look weird. Tell me though the make, model and size of each tire and I'll look to see if there's any better options.
    Flyin' Monkeys, Bar None and FR700 like this.
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    You know, looking at that pic again, you haven't actually driven it yet? Because it looks almost like the lug nuts are loose and that would make the wheel not be seated on the hub. (first thing to check)

Otherwise, BTW, looks awesome! Quite a rig! :thumb
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  9. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    The key words in my post were "relative to". Even if there was enough adjustment to raise the chair 3 feet the tire's camber to the chair will remain constant

I'm not arguing, but from where I'm sitting and looking at it the fender, the chair itself and the bike are all vertical to one another. If we were to play one of these things is not like the others it would have to be the tire itself.

My first thought was that the bearing had collapsed.

10. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I agree about form over function and my wife wouldn’t think of changing the two visible tires but you have to lay your ear on the ground to even see the rear, so the longer it takes to wear out the better, and it would be a major job to pull it off to fix it too.
    It an American Elite 180/65/16.

As for the camber, here it is at lowest setting on level floor with a carpenters square for comparison. The bike is leaning out a little I think, could go a little further, which it would with the sidecar raised on the suspension.
    EC802754-D0DD-4172-8A02-0525BF5FF4D7.jpeg
    Bobmws likes this.
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    That looks totally better.

You can download an inclinometer app for your phone then use your phone to determine the exact degrees of lean out. A good place to measure on the bike is to slap your phone up against the rear brake rotor.

OK, on that rear tire, have you crawled down there to see how much clearance you have between the tire sidewall and everything else? Because if you have a centimeter gap all around on both sides you could mount a 195/55-R16 car tire that's about the same diameter as your American Elite. Or even drop down to a 195/50-16 which is about 6% shorter so it would help your low end grunt a little. But will also lower your ground clearance in the rear by 3/4".

If not, then a 185/55-16 surely would fit. About 5% shorter than stock. Ooh, and Hankook makes an AA-A in that size!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5HR6H457&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
  12. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Definitely not going to argue with guys who undoubtedly know more about these things than I ever will (although this is my fifth or sixth outfit and I have built one and aligned another), but judging alignment from a wide angle photo is tricky. Part of what you are seeing is the fender not being vertical. The dealer had it repaired before we collected the bike. He claimed it was some paint damage but it may be bent and the suspension may be also. No telling without further investigation.
    I appreciate all your comments and opinions and I will try to dig into this further before the topic gets old. It’s by no means my only project.
  13. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Your last pic' did help greatly to clarify what's happening.

Not trying to be a dick (it comes naturally), what's the axial run-out on the sidecar wheel like?

14. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    OP

Did you get a chance to take the Rig out on the Road at all before dropping the Coin?
  15. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Honestly on these things you almost need a fiber inspection camera to see up in there. But I will check it out when I can.

This being my wife’s bike as I mentioned she will probably not want anything done to it as long as it steers ok and looks good.
    We have yet to try it on the highway but some mechanical inspections first might be warranted. Sidecars are not too forgiving of handling issues if panic sets in!

Good idea about the phone on the brake rotor. Will have to try that.
  16. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Hell no! Wife doesn’t do business that way. Pays and then asks me to go pick it up!
  17. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    No dickishness noticed at all! Much...
    Sorry I won’t be able to get any quick answers for a while. My weekend is over and guaranteed the honeydo list will take precedence next weekend!
    Thanks again for all y’alls input.
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Speaking of smartphones and cameras, I have one of those rifle bore inspection cameras on a 10-ft lead that plugs into the mini-USB port on my phone. They have a ton of them on Amazon. I bought a cheap one and it's a little flukey, but it works good enough for my purposes.

Here's a more expensive one -- $30 with 2800 reviews ----> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4/
  19. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
  20. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Looks like the same bike...what’s the story with that site? That is a crazy low price - the sidecar without bike adds up to $12k as it stands.