Indian Motorcycle Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by DutchVDub, Jun 12, 2019.

1. DESERT SCORPION

DESERT SCORPION SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer:
    DSC00153-1.JPG Here is my 2015 first run Scout. I love riding this bike, even though I have only managed to put about 13k on it so far. It ultimately needed a new starter under warranty and I reworked the suspension front and rear. Now it handles very well.
    davyjones, lrgart, Bors and 3 others like this.
  2. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    My g/f and I made a 1,180 mile loop to the Enchanted Castle in Regent, ND this weekend.

D34A5969-B61E-4039-836E-597C8E11BE4D.jpeg
    davyjones, lrgart, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  3. DutchBoy

DutchBoy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My knees don't like bending like they used to, and I have fond memories of six years on a Sportster with forward controls, so yesterday I traded in my CB500F for a Scout 60.

Today I got out for her first day trip on some country roads along the Patapsco River. I'm broke now, so I limited my initial farkling to engine guards and a solo chrome rack. Plus I bolted on my chrome thermometer that's been on at least a half dozen bikes in the last 15 years (at the base of the right mirror). Then I put my old Cortech tank and tailbags on to carry rain gear, water, etc.

I'm actually kinda liking the blended retro-modern look, at least until I have farkle money again...

Scout60.jpg
    davyjones, DutchVDub, Bors and 7 others like this.
  4. DutchBoy

Oddometer:
    Two hundred miles this weekend (and the 500-mile service). I ended up putting on the Indian reduced-reach foot peg controls and slapped on a SHAD top case plate so I could use my old SHAD top cases (SH26 and SH40); the SHAD top cases aren't the most stylish (for this bike), but I can't really see them from where I sit. The reduced-reach foot pegs went a long way to improving the bike ergonomics, but also helped point out the deficiencies of the OEM saddle, so next I'm going to try a Mustang Vintage Solo seat.

Could I afford the reduced-reach controls? No. Can I afford the Mustang? Notreally (but I did get a price break because it's a return item). I can see this bike sucking a lot of money out of my wallet over time...

Scout 60 Countryside 20190922.jpg
    DutchVDub, Bors, Kevm and 2 others like this.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    typical changes for any bike, necessary changes for most.
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the gulf on the chieftain. It was a good ride with temps in the 80’s.

Looking forward to riding one of the new bikes with the 116”

19F32CCB-F946-4D42-A2CA-E8450D944C57.jpeg
  7. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are you comparing the Indian to? Streetglide?

There "was" an Indian dealer not too far from me that had a used BMW R1200RT that my friend bought. While he was doing paperwork, I checked out the new Chieftain. Was really surprised how light it felt pulling it off the stand. Seems like a really nice bike. Dealer network and long term ownership give me pause.

OP, really nice pair of bikes you have there!
  8. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I rented a 2018 Scout Bobber 1100 for the weekend, and rode it from Dallas to Kansas. It was loud and fast. 100 horsepower, and 525 lbs. I loved it. Indian got the fueling spot on, so it had instant response on the throttle. I would love to see them put this motor in a Scrambler or adventure bike.

[​IMG]
    MariusD and rauchman like this.
  9. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, street glide/road glide
    rauchman likes this.
  10. DutchBoy

Oddometer:
    The (used) Mustang Solo showed up today, I put it on (it took two shim washers and a few tries!!), and I tried it out.

It's got more volume than the stock seat all around, and firmer (but not hard) as well. First impressions (one-hour shakedown) are pretty good, but I'll give it time to play out. It does seem like a nice improvement over OEM.

Mustang 03.jpg
    davyjones, DutchVDub, Kevm and 2 others like this.
  11. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett I know

Oddometer:
    DSC00015.jpeg
    davyjones, DutchVDub, Bors and 4 others like this.
  12. DutchBoy

Oddometer:
    I took a longer ride on the newly-installed Mustang Solo Seat today, stopping where Ilchester Rd crosses the Patapsco on the back way to Mt Airy. The ride out was cool and comfy. It started getting hot on the way back, but it was a nice 120-mile loop with a decent lunch in the middle. It's nice to spend 4-5 hours in the saddle and remain reasonably comfortable.

patapsco crossing.jpg
    DutchVDub, lrgart, Bors and 3 others like this.
  13. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. Seeing this (these) pics makes me once again realize, aren't tank bags great? On any bike? I've have my very old cortech on several bikes and probably 100k miles. The new version looks good on the scout. Magnet bags so easy to toss from one bike to the next. Makes me feel good thinking about it.
    DutchBoy likes this.
  14. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GPTempDownload.jpg

Yeah they are handy. I even clip mine on the rear fender for day rides or trips to the store. The rack is only on the bike for travelling.

This past August my cousin and I did a 5 day run to Maine for a Lobster Dinner. Here are the bikes crossing Lake Champlain.

I've concluded that as much as I love the Scout and it's a fun bike, I want a touring bike. Don't know what yet. Maybe a land yacht, maybe an ADV. Holding off until I see the new Challenger. Fingers crossed that it will be reasonable in size, weight and price. I really like Indian and would like to stay with the brand.
    davyjones, DutchVDub and Kevm like this.
  15. DutchBoy

Oddometer:
    I'm a huge fan of tank bags and use them on everything but scooters. There's always stuff I want to have with me (e.g. kickstand pad, glove liners) and tank bags make them easy to get to and transfer if I have multiple bikes (I don't right now, but more often than not I have two bikes, and sometimes three bikes). I wasn't sure how it'd look on the Scout, but I like how it blends with the design.
    alekkas likes this.
  16. DutchBoy

Oddometer:
    I end up trying to turn every bike I have into a light-duty tourer, so by the time I'm finished they've got tank bags, tail bags, saddle bags, bar risers, mirror extenders, etc.. The Scout does have an issue with the smaller tank, and seems a bit small for two-up plus luggage; although you definitely did manage to get lots of stuff onto it :).

Until it was clear I wouldn't be able to sell our boat any time soon I was hoping to replace it with something touring-oriented but not too big/expensive. I was looking at the Sport Glide and FJR (I know: VERY different takes, but capable and under $20K). Hopefully the Challenger will be a viable "mid-size" alternative.
    choppahead likes this.
  17. DutchBoy

Oddometer:
    Country roads in South Anne Arundel County today. This farmer was on the job.

scout harvest.jpg
    Bors and Kevm like this.
  18. DutchBoy

Oddometer:
    Patuxent Research Refuge surroundings today. Yesterday I added an OEM Wire Cover to stop the front brake cable from scuffing the headlight housing and put an EZ-Pass on the bars.

Powder Mill Rd 03.jpg

Oh, and wore something other than mesh for the first time since Spring. It was in the 50s when I headed out this morning.
    DutchVDub likes this.
  19. fireflyr

fireflyr Dumpster Diver

Oddometer:
    I thought from the title this thread was about Indian Motorcycle Owners...….. About 6 months ago my 'someday to be son in law' called me and said he couldn't get his Chief started. We discussed all the usual suspects; fuel, battery etc. but since he was having a hard time explaining what was going on and what he was doing, he decided to have the bike towed into the dealer. A week later he told me the battery in his key fob was dead......

You guys seem like an intelligent group, is there any hope for this kid?
    Hittman and Kevm like this.
  20. 1854cc

1854cc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled onto this thread. Indian owner and love the brand...here is a pic of my ride on a recent road trip 20190315_113529.jpg
    davyjones, DutchVDub, Bors and 3 others like this.