Indian Motorcycle Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by DutchVDub, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little 'update' is in order here.

The only bike among these that are still in our garage is my white Triumph Thruxton. Everything else traded-in or sold for other machines. The only one among them that I regret selling is the orange and cream Honda Shadow 1100, mostly because it was in near perfect condition, beautiful, fun to ride, and I only paid $2700 for it.

We currently own, the Triumph of course, as well as a '18 Honda GL1800, a '17 Honda CB1100EX, and my wife's '19 Kaw Z900.

My 'Indian era' has ended, and not likely to happen again due to the combination of their cost, and the fact that at present, Indian is offering absolutely nothing that appeals to me.

If I was to buy another Indian, I would look for a minty, used, 2015 red Classic 111 like my first one. I do miss that bike sometimes.
    Screenshot_20200415-195921~2.png
  2. New Mexico Boondocker

New Mexico Boondocker Roaming Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on my second Indian motorcycle. First, I had a 2016 Springfield (the first one in New Mexico) and sold it two years later for a Harley Road Glide Special. There was a lot to like about the RGS but not the suspension. So, I found a decent deal on a leftover Chieftain Limited and bought that after owning the RGS for just one year. I took the Chieftain out for a spin on Sunday and did 580 miles. Collectively, I have over 30k miles on both Indians. I would like to add a Vintage to the collection at some point. I love those laced wheels with the white walls.

IMG_9808.jpg IMG_9807.jpg
  3. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was considering a Chieftain or RGS to replace the Springfield as I wanted a fairing again. In the end the RG's feel way too small and awkward after riding Victory's and Indian's. The Chieftain's are nice, but I definitely prefer the powerband on the PP108 over the TS111. You really can't go wrong with either one though.
  4. New Mexico Boondocker

Oddometer:
    I hear ya Dutch. The 108 is like a hot small block. The 111 is more like a truck engine. I don't mind the 111 at all but it is a different feeling engine as compared to the 108 that doesn't mind the higher revs.

Speaking of room, I put an extended reach seat on my Chieftain. It is a slight improvement in comfort but it looks much better. The stock saddle needed improvement and I lived through it for long enough with my previous Springfield.
  5. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Was yours the Rogue style or the 2 piece saddle with removable pillion? I swear that stock solo seat on my Springfield was the worst seat I've ever had on a motorcycle, including my 950 Adv and KLR 650. Granted, I was a lot younger back then too lol. I had the factory XC-T seat on my XC and sat on that thing for 45,000 relatively bum happy miles using just the Victory mesh pad as a supplement. That Springfield seat killed me, even with a sheepskin gel pad on it. So far the stock seat on the Challenger seems pretty decent, but I've got a link to a Saddlemen seat saved in my favorites just in case. I'll see how the first real ride goes with it before I drop the coin.
  6. New Mexico Boondocker

Oddometer:
    Both had the oem two piece saddle (removable pillion). I bought the Rogue extended reach just after I brought the Chieftain home.
    I rode my Springfield 1100 miles one day and when I got off the bike I was walking like an old man. I should’ve switched it out after but I suffered through. I wasn’t about to do it with the Chieftain though.
    I’ve thought about maybe getting a different seat but it needs to look good as well as function better than what I have.
  7. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I here you. I'm looking hard at a Saddlemen seat. They're not terribly expensive and by all reports are really comfy. I suffered through on the Springfield because the Solo seat looked so "right" on it. I wanted to keep that look, so even swapping it out I wanted to make sure the aftermarket one would work with the stock pillion. My son barely rides with me anymore so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a rear seat that was almost never installed. I think the Challenger looks really good with the step up style seat like the Rogue, so I'll just stick with that overall look.
  8. DCR1200RT

DCR1200RT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is one very good looking bike...is that a base model or the Dark horse? how many miles?

I have been looking/reading/researching the Challenger for several weeks now but I am a bit concerned on the first MY (model year) release issues being reported by some early models.

Thanks for sharing.
  9. New Mexico Boondocker

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with the solo saddle on the Springfield. It does look best. The rogue on the Challenger/Chieftain looks like it was made for it. The Step Up seat from saddlemen looks very similar. Hmm, maybe I need to get one of these. They said the Road Sofa is for riders that lay down 500 miles or more and that's often the case when I head out.
  10. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    2021 Standard, and thank you. I’m very happy with it do far. I’ve only put about 240 miles on it in the week I’ve owned if.

I tend to do 500 or more mile days when I go on trips and try to do about 1-200 on a day ride. Still, I bet even the Step Up would be a major improvement over any stock seat I’ve had.
  11. DCR1200RT

DCR1200RT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on your rides and let us know how your bike is holding up...I am planning on getting one just as soon as I have enough $$$ saved for a down payment, perhaps around summer time frame...lol...ride safe
    DutchVDub likes this.
  12. New Mexico Boondocker

Oddometer:
    I placed an order for a Saddlemen LS Touring seat with the backrest and heat. Just slightly over $1k after shipping. Ouch. I hope this solves the long distance touring discomfort.
  13. New Mexico Boondocker

Oddometer:
    Joe? likes this.
  14. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link.

I'm not in a financial situation right now to buy anything, but maybe down the line.

This one is nice looking, but because of the bike's 'upgrades', I wouldn't buy it anyway. I would much prefer one that is absolutely stock. I put no value in aftermarket exhaust systems, or any other 'stage' modifications.
    My two 111's ran great as they were, and their power was more than adequate for the type of bike they were, and the kind of riding I used them for.

We own other bikes that are true performance machines, and a modded Indian 111 can't come close to them regardless of the stage mods that might have been done to them, so I just want a relatively quiet and lazy ride from an Indian Chief.
    ARiderX likes this.
  15. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Freedom Performance 2:1 exhaust, Indian low rise bars, Indian heated grips, and a power cord for my heated gear all installed in about 7 hours. I also plasti-dipped the “coffins” to break up the chrome around the engine. Bike sounds mean as hell now, I like it.

B50C39EE-0ECE-4D92-A178-0CFC72E0B1A9.jpeg 56F1B793-9539-4B87-A702-E90581A85412.jpeg CB4C60C8-537E-473A-94E7-B0869754595B.jpeg C3EBDB7F-CDC7-4AA6-BD6D-393A06F04D84.jpeg
  16. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not an owner, but just noticed something that I seemed to have completely missed:

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/chief-dark-horse/

[​IMG]

This changes things. It has some 'dyna' vibes. A simpler machine, nicer looking machine imo. And these would be larger than dyna's (for my 6'4" size).

The one thing I disliked the most about the previous chiefs was that enormous piece of bulbous car-body type body work under the seat. From the engine bay backwards. It's just visually too large, and disproportional, making the bike look too long and too weird. It's personal, but once you see it, you can't 'unsee' it.

Now this setup completely does away with that slab of bodypanel, and even though the axle to axle distance would be the same, it makes the whole thing look way more proportionate and clean. This picture I found is a little too 'bobberish' for my liking, but I'm sure this model can probably be ordered and set up with more modern wheels, and less of a bobber stance.

Going in the right direction here!

On a side note, I've been on a few harleys before. It's a nice enough ride. At 6'4" they don't necessarily feel small from the cockpit. But whenever I overtake a non-dresser harley on the highway, in the car, I notice how these Harleys look really small. Seeing as how the average rider is probably a lot smaller than me, and still looks rather 'large' on a standard softail type bike, I can only imagine how I look on it. Probably like a kid riding a tricycle.

As of now, there are two bikes that have my interest at Indian. This one and the FTR.
  17. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    The bike you pictured is the Bobber lol, hence the vibe you're getting. :D

My wife is desperately awaiting the chance to test ride one as a possible upgrade from her Scout Sixty. She wants something a little bigger with more fuel and cruise control. That means either a 2018+ HD Softail or one of the newly released Chief's, there really aren't any other options for a mid size cruiser with cruise control. They all have the bobbed fenders but the Bobber and Super Chief have the fat front tire and spoked wheels to go with it; the Super Chief having being the touring version with floor boards, windshield, saddlebags, passenger seat, and standard handle bars. The regular chief has allow wheels and a taller/skinnier front.

To me they look very reminiscent of an FXR with that frame section under the seat and the exposed shocks. Like a Victory tube frame bike and FXR had a baby lol.
  18. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, especially about the rear section. That's the first Indian with that 111 engine that passes my minimum visual appeal test.
    But then I never liked those swoopy fenders, even on the 1940's Indians.
  19. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
  20. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Well, it was finally time for my wife to move up from the little Scout Sixty. We went to Indian Motorcycle of Denver in Lakewood once we saw that they got in a new Chief. We were both figuring that she’d be getting either a new Super Chief or a HD Softail as her next bike and she was very much wanting to stick with Indian, although she did really like the used Softail Slim she test rode a few weeks ago.
    FF0B0322-9242-4FA3-84FA-4969F52FEB58.jpeg

They put her on the bike and let my take out a Chieftain so that I could follow her around on the test ride.
    ED0F6B20-6780-4399-A508-D020111A0652.jpeg

After we did a few miles on the main road we went into a parking lot to turn around and see how it felt at low speed. Then we got onto a highway to get a feel for top speed. She was thrilled with the power of the 111, but didn’t like the mini-apes on the bobber at all. If we could’ve adjusted them closer to her it might have helped as she had the mini apes on her Scout. Regardless, as we were riding I asked her if she wanted to ride the Chieftain. A bit reluctantly she agreed to give it a try and we found another parking lot. She timidly got on the big blue bike and just sort of walked it back and forth to get a feel for the weight as she’d never ridden anything bigger than the Softail or Chief before. Once she felt good with it she pulled back out onto the road and almost immediately said, “uh oh, I think we’ve got a problem”. She loved it lol.
    2F35B496-F9AA-404C-8C4F-246F4C1FD579.jpeg

765365AB-2B87-4661-80CE-0D5403C31478.jpeg

They didn’t particularly have a Chieftain there she wanted. Plus as nice of them as it was to let us joy ride the brand new and hard to come by Chief, we do have a bit of a sense of loyalty to Indian Motorcycles of Fort Collins. I’ve bought every bike I’ve owned from them since getting my Victory, to include her Scout. So I called them up and told them we were in our way.

A few hours later the paperwork was done and she was riding off on a brand new 2020 Chieftain Dark Horse Icon that we got a smoking deal on with it being a leftover bike. She loved the paint on it and when they got it down to the cost of a ‘21 Chieftain Standard she was fully willing to “splurge” on the prettier bike.
    FE2B8D21-7530-4ADC-BAD3-D3F4E3DA4807.jpeg

4DF374D3-88FA-452E-AE65-AF94C13DF29C.jpeg

FB5BB790-D550-4B10-AB50-A4853D87F4E0.jpeg

Needless to say, she is super excited to put down some miles. She was all giddy after filling up when she saw the estimated range was at 220 miles LOL. She was so used to the 120 mile range on the Scout. I’m definitely happy and proud to see her on a bagger. She definitely got the prettier and fancier bike, while I’ve got the understated “sport” bike. It’s ok though, we already tested it and my Challenger’s PowerPlus108 is definitely faster than her ThunderStroke 116 with a full throttle roll on in 4th gear. :D