Indian Scout FTR1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new bikes pegs are different, they have rubber inserts and sit flatter than the previous versions. I do think they make a slight difference in the peg to seat relationship, but its minor. The FTR carbon I rode had a different seat and it was more cramped than the base model one, again very minor.
  2. Timps27

Timps27 Just here for the beer. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again, the pegs are identical to the 2019, they simply have the inserts from the factory. The inserts are available for purchase separately for 2019 models. The FTR Carbon seat is just a reskin of the standard seat with some graphics, also available for purchase to add to any of the other models if you like.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The angle of the pegs was the problem for the son-in-law. I don't remember ever seeing any other bikes with pegs angled like that and I sold bikes for about 22 years. Not even a GSXR1000

[​IMG]
  4. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This begs the question of when will Indian introduce its adventure bike? Kinda' like a Mustang station wagon.
    DesertPilot and Ogre_fl like this.
  5. Timps27

Timps27 Just here for the beer. Supporter

Oddometer:
    All rearsets are angled, including those on the GSXR1000:

53F2F9F7-FC41-4EF2-8421-D9FAE87CCA60.png

Perhaps you sold motorcycles with front and mid controls, and when you saw a bike with rearsets you dismissed it without much inspection as “one of those”?
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    They are not angled like the FTR pegs. The FTR pegs are like the flat surfaced MX/off road pegs, but then set at about a 10-15° clockwise rotation. But if you believe they're not, fine.
  7. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every sport bike I have has pegs angled in relationship to where the brake or shifter is.
    About 10-15 degrees
    As an example my my 30+ year old Suzuki

IMG_6219 - Copy.JPG
    Florida Lime likes this.
  8. smcohio

smcohio Equipment Tech

Oddometer:
    The stock foot pegs just drove me nuts. not only was the angle of them uncomfortable for my foot position, but those things are slicker than snot. I found myself constantly pinning my ankle against the bike just to keep my foot from sliding around and by the end of a couple hour ride the top of my foot and ankle would be sore just from the angle. I went with the Pro Taper pegs when they had the 50% off promo going on so it knocked the price down from high buck to my buck range. Over all they are a good improvement, the only thing I might do is knock a little bit of the sharpness off of the leading edge grip on the shifter side just so its a little easier to pivot my foot during shifting.
    markk53 likes this.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    There ya go...
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    "Liked" mostly because I know what bike that is. :raabia
    busa1300 likes this.
  11. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    I used a square file to simply sharpen the factory pegs to a dirt-bike-like grip pattern. Once I did that they feel great to me! 30 minutes with a file and done.
    The angle doesn't bother me and don't notice much difference from any other street bike Ive had.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    Asked my son-in-law how it felt to know he now owns a collectable limited production run bike, the 2019 FTR 1200 S. One that is no more. He's glad he sprung for it. I agree. Keep it nice, might eventually appreciate in value in the future, who knows.
    scudrunner82 likes this.
  13. Milosh

Milosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is weird question, but the ABS and TC wheel sensor on the front doesn't have the holed wheel that many bikes have (See Below). How does it work?[​IMG]
  14. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    May use the wheel bearing, I think I read that the Challenger does as well.
  15. TrojanThunder

TrojanThunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 17 inch wheels use the wheel bearing for the ABS sensor, making it difficult if not impossible to retrofit the wheels to the earlier 19 inch wheeled bikes
  16. scudrunner82

Oddometer:
    2019-2021 uses a reluctor ring similar to your picture. 2022 switched to a special front wheel bearing.
  17. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got to ride an FTR at the TMS MotoFest. I liked the chassis, brakes and handling, but thought the engine could use some advanced balancing. Plenty of power but the harder you revved it, the harder it buzzed. Kinda reminded me of a hotted-up 1200 Sportster engine. Although it's a racer replica, I think Indian intended them to be more of a power cruiser than a sporty naked bike, which is sort of a shame, because the potential is there. I recall the XR 1200 to be much the same, only with less hp.
  18. markk53

Oddometer:
    Seeing how the FTR went from the concept street tracker bike to the 2021 version I'm not sure Indian knew what they intended them to be... :lol3

I know @smcohio is totally happy he got his '19 FTR before Indian tried to figure out their intent. :thumb Pretty sure the Indian Scout is kind of intended to be their power cruiser.
    smcohio likes this.
  19. smcohio

smcohio Equipment Tech

Oddometer:
    In my opinion Indian has a pretty well rounded lineup with the addition of the new Chief. Each of their bikes can be modified to fit just about any road based riding preference.
  20. scudrunner82

Oddometer:
    I think we should start from scratch and figure out exactly what kind of bike the FTR is, and who the intended rider is for... :rofl

5 months and 2500 miles in on mine and I absolutely LOVE it. After getting it setup to my taste its perfect...

Just took it to the drag strip on Saturday for giggles, and ran an 11.6 @ 121MPH. The big muscle bike scoots right along!
    smcohio, e.t., markk53 and 1 other person like this.