Indian Scout FTR1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen any real issues with reliability either online or with my own bike. They are made by Polaris, which is well regarded for quality manufacturing. They are made here in the USA and put together with care. I would trust mine to ride anywhere.
  2. TrojanThunder

TrojanThunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apart from needing a tune to smooth things out and fix the cold starts my FTR has been dead reliable for the last year, new rubber going on tomorrow, Bridgestone T32s, back tyre is shot at 4000km. I love riding the bike went out last Friday and didn’t want to stop
  3. Mlazarus5388

Mlazarus5388 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must have gotten lucky. So far zero cold start issues with my 2019 base model. It does have the latest factory ECU tune and cold idles at about 1500 RPM until warmed up. Which takes about the same time as it takes for me to plug my ears, don my helmet, jacket and gloves.
  4. smcohio

smcohio Equipment Tech

Oddometer:
    Oil changed and first tank of fresh gas for the year, ready to go over to the in-laws for dinner and get my father-in-laws bike out and ready. WOOHOO 2021 bring it on.
    scudrunner82, merc16 and gobux like this.
  5. TrojanThunder

Oddometer:
    Got some good seat time today to check out the Bridgestone T32s, what a change, bike feels solid and better connected to the road, lots of feedback from the front, tyres are clearly stiffer than the Dunlops but give a taut responsive ride, slightly slower to tip in due to 160 rear but I’m a big lad so I just add a touch more body English, buzzing and noise from tyres greatly reduced. All in all excellent tyres for anyone who’s 100% road like me
    scudrunner82 and Timps27 like this.
  6. scudrunner82

Oddometer:
    how much did it raise your cruise RPM? Was it noticeable?
  7. oldirtyrider

oldirtyrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those indian FTR1200s are made by polaris !? or were you referring to another bike.
  8. Timps27

Timps27 Just here for the beer. Supporter

Oddometer:
    All Indian’s are made by Polaris.
    oldirtyrider likes this.
  9. oldirtyrider

oldirtyrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow , I had no idea . That's pretty cool . I thought indian still made their bikes.
  10. Timps27

Oddometer:
    Polaris bought the brand in 2011 to hedge their bets with Victory. Essentially they were always going to move to one brand, but they let the sales figures determine which it would be. It seems to me the FTR is the first foray for the Victory team now folded into the one Polaris brand. And I couldn’t be prouder (as a native MN born) to own a MkI version of what I hope will be a successful new platform.
    Scoozi and scudrunner82 like this.
  11. TrojanThunder

Oddometer:
    Nope, I spent a full day on the bike today and for the short highway sections there was no appreciable difference
    scudrunner82 likes this.
  12. scudrunner82

Oddometer:
    Not since 1953...
  13. cupcakemike

cupcakemike n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, 98 pages was a fun way to spend a slow night at work

Here's my base with some ADV flavor, built by me over a few days this winter. Picked the bike up in july of 20, just over 7k miles on it as of now. I really like it, especially because it fits perfectly between my uly and 1125CR

I have a few more bits standing by to install (Racefit exhaust, Ohlins Front and rear suspension, etc), but I might wait on those til after the warranty is up.

20210116_213331.jpg View attachment 2896302

Attached Files:

14. Timps27

Oddometer:
    60A1F485-D848-43BA-AC9C-3371B6894796.jpeg

Any inmates considering the 2022 with the wheel/suspension changes? Couldn’t be happier with my 2019, it’s the only bike that gives me parking lot whiplash like my Tiger.
    danh600 and merc16 like this.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the look of your upswept pipe. Looks better than about anything out there for a low pipe. I like the S&S high pipes a lot, but when it comes to low pipes that's got "it". Nics shock there too.
  16. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I just watched Zack Court's new ride review on the latest "S" version with the 17" wheels. Apparently the seat is something like 3" lower between the wheel and suspension changes, which means that the bike, which is one of very few that is suitable for tall people with long legs, will now be cramped. I guess the Rally version still has the bigger wheels, but it's also the most expensive.
  17. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being lower, if from wheel size and/or suspension makes ZERO difference in ergos.
    The seat to peg to bar dimensions are all the same.
    Its all just closer to the ground.

The only difference is how your legs are when your feet are on the ground when stopped.
    JohnnyWaffles, Scoozi, ADK and 2 others like this.
  18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I will admit I haven't looked into it a lot, since the FTR isn't on my radar too much anyway, but did they just give up cornering clearance then? You don't drop a motorcycle a few a inches, leave the pegs where they were, and not lose lean angle. I naturally assumed the pegs would have been repositioned.
  19. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can drop one if the pegs never were the limiting factor in lean angle.

I dont know for sure that the peg location have not been changed, but they make no mention of it.
    I do see that the new bike has shorter "peg feelers" than the old one, so perhaps that was enough.
    The old bike had fairly long pegs feelers.
  20. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Sad to hear they reduced suspension travel. I wish they would have just gone with the smaller wheels and left the suspension travel. I have an RnineT, which is very similar to the FTR in performance and function, and I always feel it could use another inch of travel. The new shorter suspension will have the same issue now I am afraid.