(Indiana) ABATE/DIRT Trail Work Day @ Redbird 12/11/2010 10am

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by alpiv, Dec 1, 2010.

1. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    You ask for it, so here it is...
    A locked date and time.
    12/11/2010 @ 10 am.

Sign in at the gate and find me (Gray Nissian Fronteer -- KTM 450 Ugly guy).

Tools,
    1) Hammers ( to hand trail signs )
    2) Chain saws to clear logs/limbs
    3) Shovels/Pick-axes (heal in trails) new work on trail six (north end of parking lot).
    4) Small hand axes..

We will work the trails then play.....

Please reply if you are coming down so I can get a head count.

Again, Thank you for supporting ABATE/DIRT and Redbird.
  2. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it on the calendar.
  3. MadRussian

MadRussian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    born in Moscow, Russia, now live in Indy, USA
    Can we make a few trails a little wider? :D

On a serious note, what kind of work would be involved in grooming the trails?
    Some of us old fucks can only do some much :gerg
  4. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Magilla Gorilla

Oddometer:
    What should we bring for tools? Do you need anything special?
  5. jwolf

jwolf Wolfie

Oddometer:
    Vincennes, IN 75 miles Southeast of Moonshine
    I would but I have a party/meeting in Evansville on the 11th.
  6. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure we are working on D.I.R.T's adopted trails which are single track MC only trails. Not sure of the trail numbers but I believe it is the trail behind the shelter house(not the ATV trail) and also the trail that runs parallel to the county road just past the RR tracks(again not the ATV trail)

The MC trials do not need to be any wider,and after last weekends ride there really isnt alot to do other than a couple branches could be trimed a little and the trail behind the shelter house may need looked at after the carnage that followed me.:lol3 Thats the thing that sucks about leading you miss all the thrills and spills.

AL, if possible could we extend some of the single track?

If so the only tools needed are a set of pruners and maybe a bow saw. It is single track the trail only needs to be as wide as the handle bars......and sometimes not even that wide:wink:
  7. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya bones built a shelter house and water tower on that trail. He was grilling some small game and sending smoke signals when we found him. Looked like he'd been out there for weeks.:lol3
  8. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in--on the ride schedule as a work day:deal I'll bring the XR--its still dirty from the Abate ride. Hey tpar--tell you boss its an emergency and you need the day off.:pynd
  9. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Wow...
    Thank you for the interest....
    This is out standing, more then I expected.

Yes we will be working on the existing single track.

D.I.R.T. has adopted two trails, yet we also look after a couple more that I think we can Adopt this year.

I have a list of items to address from Dan.

Tools,
    1) Hammers ( to hand trail signs )
    2) Chain saws to clear logs/limbs
    3) Shovels/Pick-axes (heal in trails) new work on trail six (north end of parking lot).
    4) Small hand axes..

There has been suggestions for DIRT to adopt trails 41 - 42 on the south side of the road and that there are opportunities for more trails in that area.
    I'll be bringing my GPS to walk the area (with ribbon) in order to have something to share with the DNR to approve if new trails are possible.

If you have Ideas for new trails, let's talk about them and walk them with gps units so that we can hand them over to the DNR for approval(s).
  10. WRyan450

WRyan450 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will definately be willing to help out, and I would love to help out on 41/42... I have a ongoing infatuation with a certain hill and root on that path. I would never think about removing it. Just embrace it, take care of it, study its addictive attributes, and most importantly, just figure out how to get me and that blue flame spitting thing I ride up the damn thing. COUNT ME IN!!
  11. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    I don't think your a lone on that one my friend....

12. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    i would be there as well, but the 11th is a saturday.... i been working nearly every saturday. :(: i am working this saturday, and they even asked me to volunteer for sunday.

you guys have fun, and don't get to happy with the saws... if the quad tards can squeeze their quads in there it wouldn't take long for our singletrack to disappear.

and leave the roots alone!!:deal :lol3
  13. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    and don't u guys cut that tree down on trail behind shelter house (#6 i believe). it's on top of a hill... and ya gotta make a hard left around it, i usually gotta slide my ass end around a bit to get a straight shot across the root.

i think u guys will remember which one i am talkin about. in one of my videos... bones didn't even attempt to try the tree or root... he just blazed his own trail straight down the hill. :lol3
  14. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    Ya I got hung right there. Tried to go between those 2 trees so I wouldn't have to stop and back up to make the turn. Maybe next time.
  15. hoghead650

hoghead650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that the only trees that need to be cut are a couple on the new north trails that have fallen across the trail in an area that does not have a practical go-around. Trees are large diameter and are about 3 - 4 feet off the ground.

Other than that, I see some stray limbs and briars that need trimmed back. Need to keep these good trails M/C only.

Dan
  16. MOTO818

MOTO818 n00b

Oddometer:
    New to the board, but old as the hills around Redbird. I'll be there to help! Know the place pretty good. Count me ...count me in.
  17. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep

And Yep.

Lets not get carried away making the MC trails as smooth as possible. Me personally I like the tight stuff. Rocks ,roots,etc.......fill in the rutted out areas so they dont become big mud holes,trim back the limb that smack you in the face,but leave it a MC trail.
  18. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Quads suck.

If I lived closer, I'd come and help.
  19. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    I would like to see some handrails and winch points on every hill. Also a smoking bench rest area every 50 yards or so....:D

:hide
  20. hoghead650

hoghead650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A smoking bench rest area every 50 yards..........

INSTANT CLASSIC !!!!!