Indiana Exploits

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Signal 13, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the previous day I had planned to ride IN SR 135, it snowed all day long. I now see that until spring, I'm not going to be able to make plans to ride due to the unpredictable weather and will just have to see if it's a clear day once I get up in the mornings on the days I'm off.

At any rate, today was a great day to ride with sunny skies and a high of 55 degrees. Unfortunately I got a late start though, and the clouds moved in and the temperature dropped quite a bit as I was heading home. Not having as much time as I wanted means I passed up Bean Blossom covered bridge and didn't get to explore some of the gravel roads shooting off 135, but there's always next time.

Came across one of my favorite signs...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the sign was inaccurate and the water from all the rain we received yesterday had already receded. Oh well, better luck next time.

The small town of Story was quaint and I'll be returning to take my wife to lunch there because the menu looked awesome. No time to sample a bite today though, as I had miles to log.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Came across a downed power line across the road. After watching two cagers cross, I decided the line must be dead and crossed as well.

[​IMG]

This was a cool covered bridge. It's not an old one, but rather a private one that someone built at the start of their driveway. When do you know you have too much money? When you're building a covered bridge on your driveway.

[​IMG]

On the way home I decided to stop off at Easter Island for a photoshoot. Noticed this a few weeks ago in Bedford and thought it might make for a good pic.

[​IMG]

One of the reasons I got a late start was because my wife had me take her up to the Kroger in Bloomington so she could do her bi-monthly grocery shopping. While there, she picked me up a monster London Broil, which I sectioned into thirds after today's ride and then threw one of those on the grill, which went down great with a beer. It's great to be loved.

[​IMG]

It was the first time I used that grill (got a good deal on it recently at Lowe's), and I'm quite pleased with it...cooked that steak to perfection.

I took some video during the ride and will throw something together to post on YouTube sometime over the next few days. The route was fun with lots of turns. The only downside was it took me a while to get there...under an hour, but maybe I'm spoiled with the Hoosier National Forest as my backyard. A lot of the curves ahead signs recommend 25 to 35 mph, which can easily be done at 40 to 50 mph. However, there were two signs that listed 10 or 15 mph, and those two were quite sharp, so keep that in mind if you want to ride the attached track.

Attached Files:

2. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took a look at the video I shot from the last time out and deleted it all. I was trying out a new mount location and the right side of the windshield went right down the middle of the video...sorta gave me a headache to look at that, so I deleted it all.

Today I rode up to Indy to return the cot to REI. As much as I liked it, it was just too big got the bike. They had a smaller one there, but that one was too small for the tent I use, which goes on top of the cot.

REI sells a Helinox oversized cot, but at $450, it’s out of my cot budget. So, I need to come up with something before my next camping trip on the 20th. Leaning towards a footprint under the tent and then a really comfortable inflatable sleeping pad. It’s an option, but sleeping off the ground on a cot is more ideal.

Was probably not a wise idea to take the bike to Indy...was 27 degrees when I left this morning and I about froze. Then had to ride back as well. I’d be lying if I didn’t think to myself a time or two that I should have taken the cage up there.

On the plus side, I found some gravel on the way home, and a small lake. It’s on 6 acres of land about a mile from my place and looks quite nice. It’s for sale( but I don’t know for how much.

5507E801-F60A-43FF-9BFF-748CD352E92A.jpeg

Once I got home, I relaxed for a bit and then took the wife and kids out to eat at Outback. Back home from there, I took two Ny-Quil because I feel as though I may have the start of a cold...likely from the frozen butt ride I ddI today. But, nothing some meds and some good sleep cannot cure.
    Kiwiscoot and B10Dave like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add in a hot toddy and you'll be fine.:photog