Indiana Ride Thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by tpar1220, Jan 2, 2009.

1. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about that Steve :( Glad you're alright, and the strom can definitely be repaired/replaced!

And season in reduction zones opened Sunday...archery starts the 1st...hanging some last minute stands tonight!

Everyone ready for the buffaloe?
    1TRAK likes this.
  2. brewski83

brewski83 Squatch Hunter

Oddometer:
    We have a buffaloe season now!? Might need more fire power ;)
    1TRAK likes this.
  3. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get well fast Steve. It could have been much worse.

Without seeing the bike, I would guess that it is totaled just by what you hit and the speed that you were going.
    1TRAK likes this.
  4. avtechinbtown

avtechinbtown Um... yeah I think so.

Oddometer:
    Wow! Your a sandals with socks guy....how was the deer?...kidding of course.

Glad your ok buddy! Get healed and come down and see us. Hope your bike fairs as well as you did. 50 mph and any obstacle sucks for the rider and the bike.
    . Ditto on the earlier comment about deer season. Come on down. I can hook you up.
    mr_10brook and 1TRAK like this.
  5. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for all the encouragement, advice and wishes.
    Taking it a day at a time with the chest/shoulder pain and road rash.
    I heal fast so we'll see you folks shortly. RIDE SAFE PEEPS!
  6. justanotherguy

justanotherguy I should be the one

Oddometer:
    It’s good to see that you still have the desire to ride. I’m kinda curious about the gear you were wearing and how it looks now after the sliding. Is there anything you wish you were wearing but thought you would never need it?
    1TRAK likes this.
  7. szramer

szramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg
    godwinmt likes this.
  8. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wearing a Scorpion AT950 helmet, Olympia Richmond 3/4 length jacket, ASTAR short gloves, and Thor Blitz boots.
    The helmet was destroyed because of impact and I believe saved my life.
    The coat is shredded and will be replaced as will the gloves and boots.
    I wish I would have cinched the wrists down tighter as the sleeves slid up on impact and exposed my forearms to all the road rash I got.
    I believe the ASTAR gloves did their job even though I have 1 broken bone on my left hand.
    The Thor boots worked well and have some road rash.
    My biggest regret is wearing jeans, my knees have serious road rash and when I heal the scars will always remind me of it.
    This happened a few miles from home on a short ride to town ... things happen anywhere.
  9. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I wasn’t there for you Steve. I know what your going through. Hope you make it to the HNF and Loose Nut. We can share memories—-wait a minute—-I don’t remember anything about that deer.
    1TRAK likes this.
  10. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries Jerry, I know you're there in spirit and I appreciate your support!
    Don't believe I got beat down like you were in Missouri but a day at a time is working and I'm healing well despite the pain.

I'm looking forward to visiting you and my Southern Indiana Brothers and Sisters at the HNF RIDE. Not sure if I'll be riding the DRZ or in the Subie but I'm in.
    See you there.
  11. Sniper10x

Sniper10x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Steve, do you have an aftermarket muffler(s) on your VStrom? The reason I ask is....

I have a KTM 990 Super Duke that I bought used. It has a pair of FMF carbon fiber "mufflers" on it. They're in effect glorified straight pipes. That motorcycle sounds like 2, 50 caliber machine guns.

I also have a Ducati 848 Street Fighter, that I bought used. It too, has a pair of CF glorified straight pipes on it.

I have had way more close calls, and near misses with deer while riding those 2 motorcycles than I think I should have. I think there is something about the way a big booming V-Twin sounds, that for some odd reason makes deer run towards it. Feel free to disagree. Everybody has had a few close calls with deer, as have I. But that 990 and 848 are deer magnets. And I think it because of the way they sound. Come October when the deer hunters start stirring up the deer, I'm going to quit riding those 2 bikes.
    1TRAK likes this.
  12. SwiftDual

SwiftDual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Africa twin stock exhaust.... they still like to run besides you than cut you off lol
    1TRAK likes this.
  13. SwiftDual

SwiftDual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was actually two of them that I split between Screenshot_20190921-223227_Video Player.jpeg
    1TRAK likes this.
  14. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the stock exhaust on mine but have to say this was the second deer I hit on the VEE this year. First was in May, a small fawn that also approached from the left, hit the left crash guard at an oblique angle and was knocked away from the bike with out me crashing. I was only going about 30 when it hit.
    I've seen many deer riding this bike with other close calls on it, not sure it's just coincidence.

I've witnessed others on big twins hit deer ... that's an interesting theory you have.
  15. Sniper10x

Sniper10x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am way more afraid of deer than gravel patches, and cars combined. Gravel you can usually see, and most cars move pretty slow.

But those stupid deer shoot out of the woods at a dead run, no warning, with the look of abject terror in their eyes, and they'll run right into the side of a moving Mack truck. < That happened to me last fall. Then I late December, '18, I had another stupid deer run right into the side of my Wrangler. 2 hits in one year, and 3 close calls. But there is a pattern to all of those incidents: they all happened between 5:30pm and midnight. And they all happened south of Interstate 64. When you ride the HNF in a couple of weeks, stay vigilant. A running deer has to be the dumbest critter on the face of the earth.

Hindsight is 20/20, but has anyone had any luck pinning the throttle just before impact?
    1TRAK likes this.
  16. szramer

szramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats i always wear knee brace, fucked my knees too many times...,short rides are the worst...., thats where they get u..., heal up. quick Stevoo!
    1TRAK likes this.
  17. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang @1TRAK , sorry to read about this. It's good to see that you are on the mend, in good spirits and that it isn't worse than it is. I spend most of my riding time on country back roads and have dodged a deer or three...dozen. It's on my mind a lot during certain times of the year. I, too, am guilty of wearing jeans most of the time when out for a "casual" ride. I always have a helmet, jacket, armor (upper body), gloves and boots on, but usually skimp on the jeans. Every time I slide them on before a ride I think, "this is probably not a good idea," but I do it anyway. It's likely out of convenience. Or, maybe it's the "I can take off my jacket and walk into a restaurant looking like a normal person" mentality. Whatever it is, I am guilty. I hope you heal quick and get back on two wheels soon!

And, I'd be remiss if I didn't say that you and @RoadDad are doing this deer hunting thing all wrong. There are much less painful ways. ;)
    1TRAK likes this.
  18. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm rethinking the jean thing after this, cleaning and redressing road rash everyday is almost as bad as riding a Harley.
    You're absolutely right about the harvest thing ... I didn't even get the backstraps off this last one lol.
    EBR458 and brewski83 like this.
  19. Sniper10x

Sniper10x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a lighter note, I was riding in an undisclosed location, south of i64, on my WR250R, and got a good look at a nice sized mature Bobcat. That was a lot of cat. No doubt he is capable of taking down a small deer.
    1TRAK and EBR458 like this.
  20. Justarida

Justarida Genius At Large

Oddometer:

Wow Steve I dont peruse the forum as much as I used to and just saw this!
    Hope your doing well!
    Guardian Angels, good gear and good judgement! I hear ya.
    I'm sure you already know the more active you can stay, up walking around and stretching stuff like that will cut recovery time as well.
    Hope you can make the HNF I look forward to seeing you.
    Take care my friend! Glad your ok.
    1TRAK likes this.