Indiana to Anchorage and back in 11.5 days on a V-Strom?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scarysharkface, Aug 16, 2013.

1. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    45 days I think? :deal

Tracy has decided she can't go after all. Her dad is not well, as we've discussed previously, but he is still hanging in there. She's out of town for a week for work (Yellowstone, Custer Battlefield, Devil's Tower and Rapid City with a bunch of President's Scholars) and has a week out of country in June, so it's just too much time away from him at this point. She has made it clear, though, against my sincere protest, that I need to take my trip no matter what happens with her family, because I need the time away. So, I'm still riding to Alaska, no matter what. Famous last words.

I got the Powerlet tankbag pass-through thing installed last night and it's spiffy. Other than mounting the Heidenaus, I can't think of a single thing I need at this point. She's letting me borrow her Shoei helmet (our heads are the same size and shape, apparently) since my Fly Trekker faceshield won't stay closed anymore. I'm ready to load the bike and go. In a month. And a half. After work. *sigh*

John
  2. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kinda figured she would stay close to dad or at least have a way quickly back.

You'll like have the power in the tank bag. I finally found chargers for my camera batteries that work off of a USB port so now I know longer need the inverter!! I also bought two of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGUTB86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very well built and lock into a cigarette light port very well. I can no charge two camera batteries, my cell phone, two go pro batteries and two external go pro battery packs all at the same time on the fly!!!! Noise cancellation was also good enough that the I was able to charge my SENA unit while on the helmet on the fly without listening to motor whine.

I bet you are ready to roll!!! I know I would be!!!

A
  3. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    I'm getting a bit antsy, yes. :lol3
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Two weeks ago yesterday I had the faulty fuel strip replaced on the '09 GS. Today on the way in to work it failed already. Less than one tank later.

John
  5. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Geez. Just a little over 4 weeks until departure. 31 days, actually, since I plan to leave after work June 26th. I've had precious little free time to play with packing or to even look at the map. It all just reinforces how badly I need to get away for a few weeks.

Including stuff I still need to do, here's my tentative packing list:

For the bike(s):

John - Need to get, check or do:

Replace fuel strip (again already)
    Permithrin on the KLIM suit
    high-beam glare blocker - Electrical tape ?? (don't judge)
    Heidenau tires / dyna beads - need to install
    Test pump with electrical system on bike

Packing List:

Spare keys - figure out where to zip-tie them on the bike

First Aid kit - left pannier
    Spare glasses - topcase
    Saline nasal spray - topcase
    Bear Spray - tankbag
    GPS - handlebars
    Scala Rider - on my helmet
    Cell phone - tankbag
    Camera - tankbag
    Laptop - topcase
    Passport - on my body
    Tools - left pannier bottom
    Spare front brake pads - left pannier bottom
    Riding gear - wearing it
    Heated vest - left pannier lid
    Maps/Milepost - topcase

Sleeping bag - right pannier
    Thermarest - right pannier
    Camp hatchet - right pannier
    Thermacell - left pannier
    Headnet - topcase or tankbag
    Jetboil - left pannier
    Coffee - left pannier
    Green drink container - tankbag
    Clothes/Toiletries/Towel/Washcloth - right pannier
    Jacket - topcase
    Hat - topcase or tankbag
    Vasque hiking boots - left pannier

Camelbak - duffle
    Tent - duffle
    Hammock stuff - duffle
    Chair - duffle
    Hiking stick - duffle
    Keen sandals - duffle
    Trowel - duffle
    Unscented baby wipes - tankbag

Chargers - tankbag

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing, I'm sure there's stuff I'll rearrange and I'm sure there's stuff I'll cull.

John
  6. sstracke

sstracke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your list - I have been poring over every list I can find, to ensure I'm not omitting something important.

Enjoy your trip!
  7. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    I did a shakedown ride last week and pulled a few things off I just don't need. I'm to the point I'm done with trying to figure out what else I need. There's towns all along the way, so I'll pick up whatever I need that I find I want as I go.

My packing seems to be a little different than others. I have anything that needs to stay dry until it's in the tent in my dry bag. Clothing, sleeping bag and pad, and misc electronics. Tent is in the pannier. Once it's up, give the dry bag a quick shake or wipe under the vestibule and then put in tent. The grab and throw technique always worked for me.

Your list looks really good.
  8. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I've done this enough you'd think I'd have a system down, but this is a new-to-me bike and it's been almost a year since my last extended bike trip, so I'm trying to make sure I'm bringing what I need..

I very much like how you're using the dry bag. I may adjust to doing the same.

John
  9. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    word of experience.........the Jesses side cases will leak!!!! My top case has not. So, I have a nice square bag that all my normal clothing and toiletries are in. Makes it easy as a grab and go. Seems like you are stuffing everything in the panniers, for some reason I can't seem to get there. Tent and sleeping bag in dry bags strapped to the seat. ........ok, I read again......by duffle you mean a bag on the outside.......I am slow sometimes.

anything that will be affected by water in the side cases take precaution to keep it dry!!!

Instead of the mess with dyna beads....look at the airsoft beads. the white one. 1oz in the front, 1.5oz for the rear!!! Set the bead, partially break in one place, dump the beads, reset the bead. Adventure Cycleworks trick that works very well. less cost and easier it seems to me.

Wish I was going with you this year!!!!!!!
  10. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Mine don't seem to leak even riding in reasonably heavy rain, but I haven't ridden in a torrential downpour and expect they might under those circumstances. I usually have things in garbage bags just in case.

I've got a big bag of dynabeads and have been running them in the KLR and V-Strom for years now. They are wonderful. :)

We'll connect on one of these rides before too long. :)

John
  11. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are your cases level at the seam with the lid or is it at an angle. Mine are the old ones that are level. They leak, it seems the ones with the angle aren't as likely to leak!! Don't get me wrong, I will buy them again, because they are bullet proof, just have to deal with a bit of leakage.
  12. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh......BTW. The gear list looks good!!! I think you will use most everything you are taking and what you won't use are the things you hope you don't have to use, but must take..........like the colder weather gear and tools!!
  13. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Mine are at an angle and the seals are snug.

I picked up a jump-start/usb thingy that's smaller than a VHS tape at Sam's a couple of weeks ago on a whim. I figure I can charge it in the tank bag all day and then charge my devices from it at night. It has a set of short jumper cables and is designed to start a V-8 multiple times on a single charge, so I figure that might be a handy thing to have on-hand.

I took a short nap in the hammock after work yesterday. Definitely taking the hammock with me. :deal

John
  14. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Flat on my back since Friday night. Sciatica. Doc has me on drugs. Trying to get in Monday morning so she can take a look at it. I can't stand or even sit.

John
  15. KSO

KSO Grab a Handfull

Oddometer:
    Bummer John. Wrong place wrong time for that shit to happen. Never had that kind of issue before have you?
  16. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Less than 4 weeks out. I hope they can get me squared away before then.

John
  17. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    It all stems from an accident out on the pack ice north of Barrow. I was shooting a whale hunt and we had an accident on the ice. I've had problems ever since. That was 25 years ago.

John
  18. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic from that shoot. .

[​IMG]

John
  19. KSO

KSO Grab a Handfull

Oddometer:
    Nice
  20. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Today I was able to pee standing up. There is yet hope.

John