Indiana to Anchorage and back in 11.5 days on a V-Strom?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scarysharkface, Aug 16, 2013.

1. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I dont see any Klim gear in that bear snack so that is a good thing
  2. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Oh, it's eating? Thought it was going the other way. :puke1
  3. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    It would appear so, now that you mention it. :puke1

I was some distance away, so his/her size isn't apparent. I recall estimating that thing was nearly 10 feet tall at the shoulders. It was huge. We stopped and our Eskimo guide pulled one of those little Kodak 110 Instamatics out of his coat and said "The Great White Hunter" as he snapped a pic. Very memorable place in time.

John
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Getting an MRI in a few hours. I really hope this doesn't derail my trip. Mostly I just want the pain to be gone.

John
  5. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    It's official: herniated disc. It's manageable though, and I'm being scheduled for an epidural asap. The two docs I've spoken with about this today don't think I'll need to cancel my trip at this point.

John
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I feel your pain. I had the same injury L5-S1 ice skating.

Hope this doesnt ruin your trip.

One thing that helps me is swimming.
  7. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been living with that for a while now. I have 2 bulging and 1 torn disk. I was offered the shots and things for the pain but i was recommended by a doctor friend of mine to not go crazy with injections and NEVER get the surgery. He said the trauma of cutting through the back muscles creates more issues than the disk. Im sure not every case is the same. I am careful not to over do it when lifting and such. Massages help. I also like ice packs. Doesn't stop my riding either.
  8. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much how I've been advised to proceed. I do need to adjust my expectations of what I'm capable of doing around the house on a daily basis.

John
  9. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Good to hear! Do some PT rehab and see how things feel before making any more impacting medical decisions. Like already mentioned, check into low impact swimming if possible. I've been putting off knee surgery for years...afraid about those "slim chances" of it getting worse than better.
  10. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sucks on the disk, great you can still go. Leave you suspension set as light as you can for the load, it does help on the height of the seat a little bit. Always be aware of the weight and how you park the bike. I have missed that a couple of times and either struggled to stand up off the side stand or had to get same assistance to straighten the bike up!!! No matter how precise you are packing, it's still gonna be a lot of weight on the bike and you will be tired towards the end. I know you are use to long trips on a loaded bike, but the top heavy GS will be a big difference as I am sure your are already learning. Fully loaded it can be a bitch!! Be careful doing any kind of turn around or tight maneuver, those will bite ya too. Yes, this is the voice of experience talking. And if you do drop it, wait for help!! LOL, although up there that could be a while arriving.

Not sure how you feel about meds, but with my constant back and knee issues, part of my morning vitamin regime when riding is a preemptive strike of ALEVE. I use ALEVE because ibuprofen products play hell on my stomach. It does help through the day.

I am really glad to hear that you will get to go still. When Angie had her car wreck just before our Newfie trip she had a lot of lower back and muscle pain, by the second day of riding the vibration of the bike had eased up everything!!! Hope yours will do the same for you!!!
  11. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man. I may just make it a leisurely there-and-back. We'll see what the shot does first. I doubt they'll be able to get me in before tomorrow sometime, so I'm just on-hold until then.

John
  12. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, dude... had a partially herniated disc from chucking firewood a couple winters ago. Not fun at all. Here's to a full and speedy recovery, as well as a successful launch of your trip!

I also just wanted to offer a place to crash or pitch your tent if you do wind up taking the Hwy 37 (Stewart-Cassiar) route option and you wind up near Prince George as a stopover.
  13. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks man.. I'm at work today and getting around reasonably well with my Leki hiking stick. As long as it keeps trending better, I'm going. Of course, there are a few people, family and friends, who come unglued when I tell them I'm going to do the ride so soon after being immobile on the floor, but they are exactly the people who have put their entire lives on-hold just to be safe. *Le sigh*

I anticipate passing through your area on my return. I *think* I want to just get up there and then figure out how much time I have to screw around before heading home, then take the scenic route home (as much as that's possible).

I also have the mental note floating around my brain that Rush will be in Calgary on July 15th. And there's a homebuilt and antique aircraft fly-in at Brodhead, Wisconsin that following weekend that would be a convenient and entertaining stop. Or I may just get up there and refuse to come home. Hard to say.

Anyway, I'd love to stop and pitch my tent for a night, drink some beer and talk about motorcycles and life if it should work out.

This will, I think if I didn't screw it up, be my spotwalla trip map created by my SPOT Tracker pings:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=ca88551c9d5482a15

It should go active June 25th, which is the day prior to my intended departure.

John
  14. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Best of luck to you.

If that brings any positive ions to you, my back hurts less on trip than in everyday life.

Siting at a desk to work is not good for you.
  15. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    I agree with this. I have to stand and walk alot at work, but somehow the bike makes it better. Before my trip from California to Alaska last month my back was really acting up. My first day was a 120 mile ride to see my dad. That was okay, after a night in the tent and a 350 mile day the next day I was good to go. This ride may heal you :clap
  16. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I always feel better after a long ride.

John
  17. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    One week and one day until departure.

I've ridden the bike a few times. The bike seat is more comfortable than any chair I'm familiar with or standing up. Did 90 miles Tuesday after work and another 90 yesterday after work and other than the fatigue of having been AT work all day prior, I felt fine.

Today I get a steroid injection, which is intended to accelerate healing.

John

edit: No steroid injection, that's coming Tuesday. Doc tells me it has a 1 in 10 chance of helping me out at all. My tolerance for pain will dictate whether or not I eventually get surgery. My back is trashed. That being said, he gave me an interesting look when I asked if it was prudent to take a three week motorcycle trip. We discussed the ergos of the bike and that I'll need to stop when I feel like stopping (and that there's always the chance I'll need to find something other than the motorcycle to bring me back home if I hurt myself worse), but that I should probably go ahead and make the trip. So I'll probably skip most, if not all, of the optional gravel, but it looks like I'm on. Pain level is ranging from 3 to 5 on a 10 scale, but on the bike it's been down a notch or two or three from that. Thank you, BMW, for the R1200GS and those wonderful ergonomics.

One week from today...

John
  18. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Bike is mostly packed. Just need to add clothes and laptop. Very excited about this.

Been without any anti-inflammatories for a couple of days and while I can definitely feel it, it's not so bad. I'll take that as an indicator that the stretching is helping. I'll continue to take it easy, obviously. Targeted physical therapy begins Monday morning and steroid injection Tuesday morning. So I'll have some exercises to keep me busy on the road.

So the question now, as I keep playing with the routing, is do I go direct or do I head more westerly to western Montana then head North? Each has its benefits. I'm also thinking the first few days it might be prudent to stay in the US for the cell coverage and cheap gas, even though it adds the better part of a day to my route. I'm thinking take the interstate to Butte, then head toward Kalispell and on up.

Departure is Friday, the 26th, after work. It's getting pretty close now.

John
  19. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    I rode from Alaska to California last summer and i took the 93 through Whitefish and Kalispell. That was a great section of road. I was pleased with that choice. The 16 through Jasper and Banff national parks was one of the best roads I have ever been on. It was crowded with summer tourist traffic, but great sights.
  20. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Great to know. I had my epidural steroids this morning. Bike is, with the exception of my toiletries, packed and ready to go. Work sucks.

John