Indiana to Anchorage and back in 11.5 days on a V-Strom?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scarysharkface, Aug 16, 2013.

1. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope the shots worked............here is route suggestion.

Roll outta West T and get to I-80, blast the slab across I-80, save time and cover miles. At Laramie, WY peel off onto SR 130 and cross over Medicine Bow Pass. 130 will get you back to I-80. At Rawlins, WY grab US 287 North. Runs you through the Grand Tetons, into south Yellowstone and out the West. Just a enough for views, and just long enough to just be getting pissed with traffic. Continue on 287 to I-90 and grab it west. PHOTO CHALLENGE, just before 287 gets to I-90 SR 2 goes off to the left, find the bridge that does not belong!!! Just west of Missoula take US93/SR 200 north and then up the road take 200 off to left and follow to Sandpoint, ID. In Sandpoint take US 95 north to the border. Depending on how you are on time you can just stay on 95 to the border and then continue 95 to 93 and the Ice Fields Parkway and Jasper. However, I suggest a detour, take SR 1 to the Porthill border crossing and go into Creston and take 3 east back to 95 and then go north. Its an hour or so detour that's well worth it, plus is a small and more time friendly border crossing. Continue 95 up to Radium Hot Springs and then 93 over the Kootenay Parkway to CA 1 between Banff and Lake Louise. Ice Fields Parkway to Jasper. From Jasper you can work north to Dawson Creek and the AlCan or head west on CA16 and go to Kitwanga and take the Cassiar to Watson Lake and the AlCan, another highly recommended route. Don't forget to drop down to Hyder, AK and get Hyderized!!!

Little over 48 hours and you are gone. 371 days for me!!
  2. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    I was kind of mulling this one over, after reading comments about BTP and CJH in NW WY:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New...73a!2m2!1d-147.7163889!2d64.8377778!3e0?hl=en

I liked driving that route through Thermopolis a couple of summers ago with the fam, and think it might be worth doing on the bike even though it's flat and straight for the most part except for Wind River south of Thermopolis.

Headframe Spirits in Butte is run by a friends' kid, so it would be fun to drop in and buy a bottle of something. The rest of those "destinations" are just to make teh google route it the way I wanted.

John
  3. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a pretty good route. I seem to remember in 2011 one of those smaller crossing was on limited hours. I thought it was Rooseville. But when I searched all I found was a couple articles within the last year about very long lines and waits to cross.

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2014/06/21/traffic-roosville-border-crossing-prompts-visitor-concerns/
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember you diverted several miles to avoid a gigantic line. I may need to do the same. My crossing *should* be during the week, but I don't know if that will make any difference or not.

Going over this in my head is difficult, because I don't have any idea what kind of miles or hours I'll be able to make on the bike until it happens. Right now I feel great, but I've been completely exhausted and have needed a nap after work every day. I'm trending better, but I'm still not back to where I was (if I ever do get back to that). I have no choice but to take it as it comes.

At least the bike is comfortable. I wouldn't dream of doing this in my condition on the KLR. :deal

John
  5. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Completely packed and ready to roll. One more day of work and I'm out of here.

[​IMG]

John

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  6. itspossible

itspossible never far enough

Oddometer:
    Have a good ride John, hopefully we'll bump into each other on the road over the next couple of weeks...I leave Tues for Prince George and then the Cassiar.

Ron
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anytime you have the opportunity to ride CJH & BTP it should not be missed. Both are well worth a few extra miles, especially Beartooth.

A suggestion: Your route looks good, leaving Nebraska on US26 out of Ogallala up to Casper. That's one I've taken many times in the last 25 years or so. But from Casper I would highly recommend continuing north on I-25 to just north of Sheridan, where US14 heads west over the Big Horn Mts.

The highway from Casper to Shoshoni is pretty dull, and even the interstate north of Casper is better riding, as you have the Big Horns off to your left as you're northbound.

You will find that 14 over the Big Horns is almost as good as Beartooth, albeit a few thousand feet lower, and the distance a bit shorter. However, you also get the ride down the west side from Granite Pass, past Shell Falls (worth stopping to see) and on down through Shell Canyon. From Greybull, it isn't far on over to Cody and the beginning of the Chief Joseph Hwy.

Coming down to Thermopolis from Worland, I found the Wind River north of Thermop to be pretty decent, but still not even in contention with the Big Horns. That's a road I'll ride any time I'm going to be within 500 miles of the area.
  8. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    I would take the Alaska Marine Highway to Bellingham, WA on the way back
  9. hilljak

hilljak Hayseed

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Have fun on your trip and wave when you pass...

I crossed in Roosville a couple of weeks ago on a weekday, around 9:30am. There was 1 car ahead of me and only saw 3 or 4 go through after, while I was chatting with another rider at the Welcome to BC sign for 20 minutes or so. FWIW.

Safe Travels!
  10. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Tonight I'm camped outside a firehouse in nw Illinois. Life is good.

11. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Cody, Wyoming, for the night. 14 to Greybull is one nice stretch of pavement. Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Highway tomorrow.

John
  12. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Bumped into Alcan Rider at the gas pump in Tok and we had a nice visit. Spent the night in the ambulance at the campground. Quite comfy and hopefully the only time I'll ever spend in one.

Changed the oil at Adventure Cycle Works in Fairbanks this afternoon, and visited with a fellow who got very lucky with a moose just this side of the border. He grabbed as much brake as he could and didn't hit the moose, but he did hit the ditch and wadded his bike up pretty good. He, on the other hand, was quite ambulatory and none the worse for wear.

I'm a bit torn between visiting the Arctic Circle or just heading down to South Central to hang with the fishes. I'll see where the bike wants to take me in the morning after some coffee and breakfast.

I'll probably head out Wednesday or Thursday for home. Not sure what route I'll take, of course.

Good times.

John
  13. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those who have been to Alaska will probably recognize Fast Eddy's over John's left shoulder -
    [​IMG]
    Ride safe!
  14. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Good food at Fast Eddies!!! That's where I sent him, but I think he found a roadside Thai place that intrigued him more!!! Small world eh Jack? John and I went to high school together!!
  15. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Incredibly small world. Hanging with friends in Anchorage today. Life is good.

John

16. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it. Not sure your plans but if you are gonna be around anchorage a bit maybe we can do an after work or weekend ride. Or not if you have plans.
  17. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    The plan right now is to grab lunch tomorrow with a couple other friends then head down the Glenn. Maybe head to Valdez or maybe head to Tok to start the meander homeward.

I do want to drop by the Harley shop and see if they have an airhawk pad that fits my seat.

John

18. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Home. 21 days. 9133 miles. One set of Heidenau K60 Scouts still have an impressive amount of tread left.

John
  19. Surfdad

Surfdad n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome.
  20. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Any pictures? we like them :D