"Indirect" battery charging

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by double_entendre, Jul 5, 2010.

1. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    I've got a Blue Seas fuse block hooked directly to my battery with huge ass(tm) cables. 6 gauge or something ginormous like that.

I want to hook the battery up to the charger overnight tonight--just a standard 2 amp charger, not a trickle charger--and was wondering if I could hook the charger cables up to the positive and negative cables that are hooked up directly to the battery rather than to the battery itself, only because the fuse block is much easier to get to than the battery is.

Any risk of damage I should be aware of?

:ear

Thanks!

Rancho
  2. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Any risk of damage I should be aware of?"

No. What you want to do should be fine.

:freaky
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cables should handle it fine, but I'd be cautious about "fast charging" a motorcycle battery. The generally accepted guideline is that you should never charge a lead-acid battery at more than 1/10th its amp-hour rating, so for example, a common 14AH motorcycle battery, this would mean a maximum charge current of 1.4 amps. Even this rate may be somewhat detrimental to battery life. Slower is better.

And if you're charger is not "smart" (reduces the charge as the battery approaches capacity), you'll probably overcharge and badly overheat it if you go 2 amps overnight.

- Mark
  4. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Thanks both of ya's for the thoughts. It is a "smart" charger, so I'm safe there.

Rancho