*Indonesian Ex-pat advice-AdvBike Availability*

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amazing ricardo, Oct 24, 2005.

1. amazing ricardo

amazing ricardo Piste Off

Oddometer:
    Any advice about purchasing, parts and service availability of adventure bikes in Indonesia? I'm particularly interested ina BMW Dakar or KTM 640

Any experience in importing a bike for a couple of 2~5 years?

I've just accepted a position in Sumatra for a couple of years and thought I'd throw this out to the collective. Any and all well intentioned advice appreciated.

TIA
  2. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was born in Indonesia, but I'm afraid I can't answer your specific question as I don't have any experience in the matter. The only general advice I can give you is that no matter what you ride, it will most likely be stolen in just a few days.

Survival tips for any Westerner visiting Indonesia: assume that everyone you meet is out to rip you off. Trust no one, and avoid traveling alone whenever possible. Indonesians come across as very personable and charming; don't let that deceive you. Don't display strong emotions, especially anger; its not permissible in Indonesian society, and people will be alarmed by it. Don't expect anyone to be punctual. Indonesians operate according to "jam karet" (rubber time). If they say they'll meet you at 3:00 PM, they'll think they're right on time if they arrive two hours late. :huh Always keep in mind that bribery is the grease that keeps the wheels rolling. People often expect "uang sogok" (money to push things along), and its not considered shameful to accept a bribe. You may see people openly hand a wad of cash to customs inspectors at the airport so that their luggage won't be searched - don't express shock or call attention to it. If the person at the desk at your hotel claims to have no record of your reservation, slip him/her a few rupiahs and ask him/her to check again. Chances are they'll suddenly "find" a vacant room and tell you how lucky you are that someone recently cancelled their reservation. :rolleyes Almost everything you buy from local shops and street vendors is bargained for. If they give you a price, offer them half. They'll respond with a counter-offer, and so on, until you reach a mutually agreeable price. Do not piss off members of the police force or military; they operate outside the law and can make your life hell. Accept the fact that no matter how cautious you are, you will be ripped off eventually. Indonesians are highly skilled in the art of trickery and theft, and there's nothing you can do to adequately prepare yourself for it.
  3. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Aurelius, I've lived and worked in Indonesia before, however I wasn't looking to own a motorcycle over there.

Specifically I'm interested in either buying a bike there, or importing on, and the advisability, costs, maintenance etc.
  4. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Then you'd know the market for KTM, BMW adventure bikes is small (very close to zero, I suspect 0). So buying one will mean ordering it in. And the 'dealer' will have no knowledge of it. And no spares. So I'd suspect the price would not be cheap.
  5. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    and so is buying/importing a BMW, porche, or MBZ cage... your point is?

i know there are ADV bikes in Indonesia.. I was just hoping to hear some of the fruits of others knowledge that have forged this path previously
  6. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    I don't think the knowledge here is all that good on what you want to do. And I don't know where you'd get that kind of information. I'd normally suggest Horozons Unlimited - you could try there too .. but I don't think you'll get much? Maybe they have a local suport group there that could help. I don't know.

I think you may be best off waiting till you get there and can get around all the local dealers on sumatra? Importation for a few years .. well an Indoneasian embasy should be able to help? Ask three of 'em and see if you can get a majority decision :rofl
  7. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    frank, thanks... that is actually plan "C"... i've pm'd a few folks and have scanned through HU.. but it appears i'll be blazing new trails here..

thanks for taking the time to reply..
  8. mijoeBLACK

mijoeBLACK grave digger

Oddometer:
    sumatera?? where...? I live in Palembang
  9. SauS TaR-TaR

SauS TaR-TaR Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer:
    Beegh.. Ini Trid Report La Uzur 5 Tahun Yg Lalu Pak.. Kalu2 Om Bule Ini Masih Hidup Skrng.. :evil
  10. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ricardo, its very, very difficult to import your own vehical into Indonesia. I know nobody that has done it, unless they had powerfull connections and paid big money.

There are no big Adventure bikes on sale in Indonesia that I know of, Harley davidson can be bought in Jakarta, BMW bikes are not available nore are KTM. I use to have a KE 125 Kawazaki trail bike, but even they are no longer sold to my knowledge. Effectively the anly bikes available are up to 200cc road bikes. However there is a good classic bike market in indonesia, BSA'a BMW singles, Nortons, Harleys.

There are people that have used connections and have imported other big bikes, and sometimes these come on the market (often in the Jakarta Post or Kompass), but its rare.

Sorry Aurelius, but I really do not agree with much of what you have writen, I lived in Indonesia for 9 years, and have benn traveling back there 3 or 4 times a year since leaving in 1990, sure you must be careful, but I have found Indoneaisans to be the frendliest and kindest oof peoples, I have travelled estensively by bike alone throughout Sumatra, Java, Bali, Lombok, Sembawa and Flores, I never experienced any traouble at all, never lost anything. Sure you need to take care, like traveling in any foriegn country.

In fact only two weeks ago I have the Tsiklonaut come through Kuala lumpur he and his wife had just traveled the full length of Indoensia from Darwin to Medan and said it was the best country so far on their world ride. If you search Tsiklonaut here you can see their thread about Indonesia.

Dean in KL
  11. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indonesians ARE incredibly friendly people. But their culture is also incredibly corrupt. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
  12. bynewmustkid

bynewmustkid from banyumas with love

Oddometer:
    I am a native Indonesia, in Indonesia's corrupt and should be careful, but still more good people
  13. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    Hello Brother,

Indonesia, eventhough still rare of big bore bikes, but we have some authorized dealer of KTM, Harley, Ducati, and any imported big bore bike in Jakarta.
    I don't know the numbers and location, but maybe u could browse it with words: KTM - Indonesia.
  14. Ficky Bharata

Ficky Bharata Standard Platform

Oddometer:
    remember for importing motorcycles from abroad will be 200% more expensive than the bottom although the tax and fees is gonna submit to the nation :eek1
  15. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    agree...
    the tax is about 400% for big bore bike is assumed to be a premium stuff here.. :)