1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Indonesian Registered Motorbike to Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, ... (SE Asia)

Discussion in 'Asia' started by MOTOTRIPASIA, Feb 13, 2015.

1. MOTOTRIPASIA

MOTOTRIPASIA www.MOTOTRIP.ASIA

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I'm planing to continue my great trip on my small indonesian motorbike (scooter Yamaha X-Ride) from Bali throught Jawa, Sumatra to Malaysia, (if possible Singapore), Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. I listen that to Vietnam and Burma it isn't possible to enter with motorbike from abroad...

Please, what I will need to cross borders to that countries with my motorbike, which is registered in Indonesia on name of my good indonesian friend?

Last year I already drove my bike from Bali until Timor-Leste and back - 2 months, more than 10.000 km, 22 islands and lot of fun. :ricky

This year I will join my friends who will be driving old Trabant cars from Australia to Bangkok (http://www.praguepost.com/cinema/44241-trabant-cars-head-to-australia-for-documentary) throught Bali, where I will join to them. :beer

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Jirka (from Czech Republic)
  2. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In theory, an Indonesian registered vehicle can enter other ASEAN countries, but in practice it may not be so. Certainly a Malaysian or Singaporean vehicle can do just that. I have traveled to other ASEAN countries with Malaysian registered vehicles.

Having the bike in a friend's name may create an issue, as this would affect insurance. Indonesia generally does not have insurance (yes its included in the license plate) but not valid outside of Indonesia, so you would need to make sure you had valid insurance, all papers and a letter from the owner. But you would still be subject to the whims of every border crossing as Indonesian vehicles generally don't leave Indonesia. Timor Leste, is a simply without rules, so pretty much anything goes.

I hope someone else has better information for you, but I think you need to maybe visit the embassies of the countries you want to visit to get real info... and even then an Indonesian plate at the Thai border will still be fun....

Good luck.
  3. Didi1234

Didi1234 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi jirga
    I have the same interest to ship my indon registered bike to west Malaysia..
    According to IMI, Jakarta, you have to buy a carnet from them and you have no problem to ship your vehicle to Malaysia..
    I am a Singaporean and the bike is under my friend's name..
    It is better to get a real and recent confirmation from fellow bikers..
    A French guy had actually shipped his indon bike to port kelang last year..he is shipping again this April on the way home...he had no problem shipping his indon bike...
    Hope someone with real and recent experiences will share with us....Indonesian registered bike/car !!

Jirga, do exchange notes on this issue, thanks.
  4. Kookz

Kookz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jirka,

Did you ever get this sorted out? This is the exact question I am trying to answer, I (as a foreigner/tourist) want to buy a bike from an American friend but it is registered to his Indonesian wife, and I want to ride up to Malaysia/Thailand etc.

Thanks,
    Brenden
  5. rocketz

rocketz SBK The real biker shop

Oddometer:
    Hello,my information based on experienced and i own a big bike shop in indonesia and got a lot of overlander from many countries.

First,you have to buy the bike under your name (road tax etc) as youre czech citizen,so i believe your x ride wont be under your name.

Secondly,you have to make carnet de passage through IMI (Indonesian Motor Asociation) i can hel you with this,but you have to place 65% value to be hold from your bike as warranty you will be getting this bike home.if youre home your bike so they will return 60% of it when youre return carnet.

Third,you WONT passed other countries WITHOUT carnet.i got experienced when entering kuching malaysia and the bike stuck there,wont enter.

if you got other further questions,call me or email me gpexpert@gmail.com +6285229006060 facebook : superbiker.moto
  6. MOTOTRIPASIA

Oddometer:
    Hi Superbiker, terima kasih banyak for your reply on ADVrider Forum about driving indonesian motorbike in Malaysia, Thailand etc. I'm now on Bali until 2-6 August and than I will join my friends and will cross Java and Sumatra. So you think that I need the Carnet for Malaysia? And what about motorbikes which cross the land borders to Malaysia on Kalimantan? I listen about one british guy who also took indonesian motorbike to Malaysia and wasn't registerd on his name and didn't have the Carnet.. but it was 6 years ago or more. So please, what I need to do? After tomorrow I will go to notaris to make a agreement that the owner of motorbike on which name it is registrated already sold it to me.. and also I can go to local office of IMI.. Thank you very much for any info. Best regards, Jirka from MOTOTRIP.ASIA (www.fb.me/MOTOTRIP.ASIA)
  7. MOTOTRIPASIA

Oddometer:
    Hi Didi, please, that French guy had a Carnet? On which name was registred the motorbike? And when it was.. I read somewhere that Indonesian vehicles don't need to have Carnet for Malaysia.. but maybe only on Kalimantan / Borneo island..
    Thanks for any reply, Jirka
  8. rocketz

Oddometer:
    Jirka,
    Carnet for Malaysia is absolutely needed.Malaysia devide for 2 on thai side and kalimantan,i could confirm your friend passed to malaysia is on kalimantan side and that was illegal passed and through small village,on remote area restriction might be as strict as big border because they were daily doing trade or business and this only understood for both country officer but its ilegal.
    For your bike ownership through notaris (notary) ,i am not sure for that.as long as i know except special properties you can not own a bike here.but as i said i am not sure.you got to show indonesia citizen card (KTP / Kartu Tanda Penduduk and this KTP come from KK Kartu keluarga/Family member card)

Carnet in indonesia not being issued by IMI it come from FIA/FIM (Federation Internationale de Automobile) in france.IMI are representation from FIM but they just help as forwarder.
    Many of indonesia overlander rent their bikes abroad.for singapore-malaysia-thailand-laos you dont need carnet.I would rather rent in malysia than buy indonesia bike.i have been riding from malaysia to china border.
    For further info or if you want to stop by and have some beer,call me +6285229006060
  9. merantau

merantau Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rockertz. Merantau here. I saw the photos you posted on "Ride Asia" of the guys and their Trabants and Jawas. Great photos. I am in Australia at the moment but will return to Lombok in april next year. If I get over your way, I'll drop in. You do a great job helping overlanders. if you are ever in Lombok get in touch. My wife and I have a homestay and we would love to return some of the hospitality you have shown to others. Take care bro. Semoga sukses selalu.
  10. rocketz

Oddometer:
    hello Merantau,nice to meet you.i twice ride in lombok,will let you know when i there in the near future.my email gpexpert@gmail.com...keep in touch bro