Inexpensive GPS advice wanted

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShadowMan, Aug 31, 2015.

1. dukeupnu

dukeupnu Desmo Ducatista

Oddometer:
    Was just typing this ^^^ x2
  2. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moving away from the Kyocera Torque and trying Osmand+ on 1st Gen Moto-G. Hopeful that my screen crashes were caused by the Kyocera hardware and that Moto-G will resolve the issues. I'll post back after some experience with the new phone. Thanks all for the input and advice. Garmin can suck it!
    highnoonhunter likes this.
  3. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never had issues with the tourque but moved up to the brigadier , bigger screen m after professor, and more memory. Are you running the app on internal memory or is it on the sd card?
  4. Julles

Julles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I did
    Purchased an iPhone 4 for $30.
    I've installed HERE maps (free) & CoPilot (subscribed) on it.
    Mounted on a RAM mount.
    USB plug to charge the phone whilst riding - $5

Streams music (spotify) + gps

Doesn't get much cheaper than this :)
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RAM mount was expensive no doubt... :lol3
  6. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I trucked my Kawasaki 1100 to the Portland Oregon area in August and rode there with 2 other guys for a week or so. Knowing some of that area would be out of cell signal, I picked up Sygic and downloaded the maps while at home on wifi.

Most of the time I used Google maps, and it seems to do okay staying on a route through a no signal area, but you can't stop the route and enter a new one (or even re-enter the previous one) while you have no signal. Sygic worked well when I fired it up in the middle of nowhere, tho it was a different interface that I wasn't as familiar with.

I have a Galaxy Note 3, and run it on a Ram x-mount on the left handlebar, plugged into a USB port near the ignition switch under the gauges. It works great there and I'd recommend the Ram x-mount with no reservation, other than don't use a metal phone case- it's too slick and a buddy had his phone come loose when he hit an unseen speed bump. It fits bars from 7/8 to inch and a quarter- worked on my Valkyrie, and it works on my ZRX.
    [​IMG]

I had no issues with it at speeds up to 125mph or so and 5 days of riding, some on surprisingly bumpy frost heave terrain.
    It was $55 at Cycle Gear, $45 on eBay if you're not in a hurry to get it. Use the top part number to search for it, 21-9127.
    [​IMG]

I read a few days ago that Google maps is upgrading their software so it'll do turn by turn better on the phone, and so it'll save offline maps better. Updates are not out yet but are supposed to be rolling out soon.

One of the issues I had with the Galaxy Note 3 was screen size- It's hard to see what you need at a quick glance while you're riding. One technique that we used was having all 3 of us talking on Sena BT intercoms, and the front guy would lead while the second guy had the GPS, so he didn't have to focus as much on traffic ahead.

One of the few faults of the Sena is the PHONE GPS won't break in over your intercom, so you get one or the other. If I listen to the GPS, I can't use the intercom to advise the other riders where we're going. If I use the intercom, I don't hear any navigation prompts and have to watch the screen. I've heard this is not true with a dedicated GPS, but I haven't tried it that way. Obviously this is only a problem when riding with a group. It does interrupt music with nav prompts.

I've been toying with the idea of using a 7 inch tablet as a dedicated bike GPS- Fry's regularly has 7 inch tablets on sale for around $30, but they don't have GPS.
    My Asus memopad 7 inch tablet (under $100) has GPS and BT, but I bought it to be a airplane movie travel tablet- a 32gb chip holds 20 or more movies.
    So now I'm thinking it may get pressed into service as a navigation unit on my next road trip. Seems like Ram makes a mount for it as well.
  7. Julles

Julles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give HERE maps a try. I found it one, if not, the best. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en
  8. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Hey, I like it... I'll test-drive that one for awhile.. thanks!
  9. Julles

Julles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google maps offline are in. Don't like it, still HERE by far the best offline free app for motorbikes. Also works superb with just audio.
  10. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    The chinese have done it again... the Ram x-grip is around $50, but I found a knock-off on ebay for $18, and ordered it to have a look.
    The top half is indistinguishable from the real thing in fit and finish. I tired to pull off the rubber grippy things, but they didn't move- altho the package came with 2 spares.
    The bottom half mounts differently- instead of a u-bolt to go around the handlebar, it has a metal tab that mounts to any bolt on your bars- nice for bikes with clip-ons or other non-standard handlebars. For $18, I like it a lot better than $50, and it got to me in about 10 days.

It also has a hot wire and ground wire, then a small USB port at the base, so you have the option of hooking power to this mount, and then using a short USB cable to connect your phone. I looked on ebay awhile back and bought a few inexpensive 6 inch and 12 inch USB cables for things just like this.

[​IMG]
    vvarma and highnoonhunter like this.
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it convert 12V to 5V or just pass 12V through and fry things?
  12. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    What it says and what it does... if they're the same, it's all good.

Input voltage12-30V, automatic power off when voltage exceeds 30V,
    will protect your devices as well as supply power5 V output voltage,
    output current is up to1.8A,
    fast and stable power supply
  13. Julles

Julles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's it called ? I'd have a look for my camera.
  14. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
  15. BigBeam

BigBeam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FTL900 - did you get your mouunt yet? Can you give us a quick review? This thing going to drop my $500 phone?
  16. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the Chinese version is better than the original. My X grip almost cost me a $300.00 tablet.
  17. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I have a ram x grip and it's great with my galaxy note... With a plastic rubbery case on it. Only problems I've ever heard of were when a guy had a shiny metal case in his phone and hit a speed bump.

I got the Chinese knock off and it looks great but I haven't mounted it or used it yet.
  18. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a rubber case on mine also, but it let loose on rough gravel road. It did ok on smooth surface roads.
  19. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    That's strange.. when we rode Seattle to Portland in August, we routed up around Mt Rainier, and coming down into Oregon from Randle to Carson was pretty bumpy.. lots of frost heaves and potholes, we were joking that we needed DS bikes. 2 of us had the X grip, and had no problems with it.
    I'm mounting the new chinese knockoff on a dirt bike, so it'll get a true test of durability and function.
    Julles likes this.
  20. vvarma

vvarma n00b

Oddometer: