Infamo's Monongahela Adventure Trail (iMAT) Eastern WV

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by TheInfamousDrBholmes, May 13, 2019.

1. TheInfamousDrBholmes

TheInfamousDrBholmes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it's nothing earth shattering. Some of these roads have been shared here before I'm sure, I mean, they are all public roads.... But I tried to build them into three routes that vary between 120 to 180 miles and have food and fuel stops at reasonable distances. They all revolve around a central location of Wymer/Alpena however you can run the routes however you want and it's reasonable to stay anywhere between Sitlington and Thomas so there's plenty of options depending on what you like. I hope to continue to expand this route as time allows. My goal is to keep them fairly centralized and under 200 miles per loop. These routes are all public road (county or forest service roads). That said some have gates on them, if you go through a gate please mane sure you close it again. Ride responsibly. This is some terrific scenery and I would hate for some numb skull to cause problems for the next guy. If you have any questions about the route or food, brew, where to stay and what not- feel free to PM me. I hope you enjoy!

For the GPX file, Videos and information visit my website www.infamousadvroutes.com
    Glenn247, kojack06, DCrider and 6 others like this.
  2. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    Updated 5/17/19 to have gpx for iMAR, a big bike friendly route. I can only think of one leg of it (buffalo mt./top of Allegheny) that may be challenging or more likely obnoxious based on rock in the road but I still don't think it's too bad. Hopefully this makes another option for people to enjoy this beautiful area.
  3. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    Updated 5/18/19 iMAT v1.3: decreased road overlap on one section and routed to include the sinks of Gandy by popular recommendation. Updated file is linked on website
    kojack06 likes this.
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Thank you---------this looks awesome----------all tied up with other riding till fall.
    So would like to ride it then-------the fall colors will be awesome.
    BigDog
    TheInfamousDrBholmes likes this.
  5. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. It is SPECTACULAR in the fall. I started working on this route in the fall a couple years ago and the colors were amazing.
  6. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Met you at the PFiddle this past weekend. Thanks for the downloads! We've done several of these routes! We want to explore west of Slatyfork next - if you have any tips about that area pass them along!
    TheInfamousDrBholmes likes this.
  7. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    I sure do have some tips LOL don't trust the maps! I think it's better documented over there now but it used to be no three maps agreed. I'll see if I have the GPX for mine road to bolair that's a great ride. A few nice sights along the way as well (Sharp Knob). There's also some back roads through the Cranberry that you can tie into not far from Bolair that should take you over to richwood. I've not got all that documented with GPX yet though. It's part of the next series I am planning to hammer out. It was good to meet ya! Always glad to see some beemers at the fiddle!
  8. hotdogman

hotdogman Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just rode the iMat 1 yesterday and enjoyed the entire route. I have ridden the route in bits and pieces before but never as an entire route. It was a lot of fun and well done. Thanks for putting it out there. I have a couple of updates on the route. 1) the southern portion of Smith Mountain Rd. after the second gate heading south is being regraded so there is lots of loose dirt and stray gravel and rocks; some of the water crossings are part of the re-grading. Not a big deal but a little slower and easier at it. 2) On the paved road south of Smith Mountain (maybe surry road???) the WVDOT geniuses have put down really small gravel in most parts of the road with nothing to stick it to the road. This is in the sharp curves and downhill sections as well. It had rained a little and I hit a downhill curve at very slow speed with this gravel on it and the bike went out from under me like I was on pure oil. All OK but be careful for sure on that section. Otherwise a fun route. I started from Highland County, VA where I live and clocked just over 200 miles. Thanks again.
  9. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it!
  10. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    Check for iMAT v 1.5 hotdogman found some issues in the GPX file and also reported some road condition changes. He sent me his GPX files from his ride and we got a few things tweaked and I think these changes will ensure a better ride experience. Enjoy! Thanks for the help hotdogman!