Infamo's Monongahela Adventure Trail (iMAT) Eastern WV

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by TheInfamousDrBholmes, May 13, 2019.

1. FDSR_MIKE

FDSR_MIKE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just sent a link to your FB group. Good stuff, I run these routes and alot of variances several times thruout the year. Being semi-local makes for awesome day trips. I'm especially interested about your work in the Senate. Too many gates are closed, side by sides wreck everything, and I'm tired of being run off county roads by angry landowners lol.
    TheInfamousDrBholmes and dstutz like this.
  2. TheInfamousDrBholmes

TheInfamousDrBholmes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am on your Facebook group as well. I'll checkout your link. They are great routes. They will be expanding in the coming year(s) things have been blowing up for me between a couple events I put on with friends and getting involved in Charleston. Check out the WV off-highway vehicles coalition on Facebook. Those guys are working really hard for us. I am actually heading down tomorrow on my day off to meet with some people about mapping issues and talk to Senator Maynard some more about the gate issues. We are trying to get the road closure issues resolved because until that's done my work is fruitless and will be subject to these closures. Thank you for your support and I highly encourage anyone involved in dual sport and adv riding to get involved with the WV off-highway vehicle coalition on Facebook.
    FDSR_MIKE likes this.
  3. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    One thing that I come across a lot while riding is roads that are still on the county road maps and legal for travel, but have been gated and locked by landowners. I would love to see some sort of remedy to this. I am certainly not advocating have the roads removed from the inventory, rather than having the locks removed. It's OK to gate, but not to lock. I went on a Tucker County exploration ride last fall and nearly every road was gated and locked.
    TheInfamousDrBholmes likes this.
  4. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    AMEN!!!! The law to allow offroad vehicles (4-wheelers and SxS) on non-lined roads opened a giant can of worms and has had a huge negative impact on rider/landowner relationships. They have screwed everything up.
  5. FDSR_MIKE

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

6. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    Check out the WV Roads Routes and Trails Facebook page if you're on Facebook. Also there's a WV Road Death Row thread on adv rider we discuss this stuff. There's some really great tools I have found on the Facebook page I can try to share it to the death row thread here as well. Basically you can use an app and download a file from the state on their page and see the county road map from the state and where your exact location is with respect to the map all on your cellphone
    dstutz likes this.
  7. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    I have hand digitized all of the unimproved and unpassable roads from the 2018 WVDOT County Road Maps for use on a Garmin GPS. A lot of time spent in GoogleEarth varying vintages of imagery to nail down the exact location of these roads. I suspect this may be similar?

8. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    What if the county road is gated by the US Forest Service? I found this several times near Parsons.
  9. FDSR_MIKE

Oddometer:
    That's probly a different battle altogether given its Federal, however I would like to see them open those gates as well. Some of the ones between Parsons and Davis (one off Close Mountain road, just past the water spring) I've seen open at intermittent times thruout the season, and next time I'm gonna check it out, for sure. The others seem to open only during hunting seasons, which kinda sucks given hunting season in those counties is full on winter climates.

Theres also forest roads that are not numbered or gated that I'm curious about as well
  10. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    If you or anyone in your riding group uses a Garmin GPS capable of using IMG files have them contact me and I will give them a copy of my GPS file. All I require is a promise that it will never get into the hands of the sXs or quad community.
  11. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuck SxS owners....that is all.
    TripleTriples, Sonny S. and FDSR_MIKE like this.
  12. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    This is amazing!!! Good work man. How can I get this file??
  13. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    Which roads are gated outside Parsons? Off govt road? Or elsewhere
  14. FDSR_MIKE

Oddometer:
    Up smokey Hollow rd off Mt. Zion...ounty road 17/7 dude chased me and a friend down. We rode thru an open gate at the end, but he said he had a sign at the end we entered. We played dumb but still....
  15. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer:
    Was it county road? Somewhere over yonder there ... maybe Preston co we rode a County road that went thru an open gate then down the other side to the pavement. An angry local was waiting. Accused us of poaching. We were on trash bikes so pre 1985 with rough ds tires and we asked him how he thought that would work, just sling a deer over our bikes? He chilled out and explained that he's had poaching issues with folks going across there and hunting in his field and I understand that frustration but county road is county road... just ask people what they are up to don't get all crazy blocking folks in and getting out of your vehicle and threatening them.
  16. FDSR_MIKE

Oddometer:
    It was/is a county road, the only part that wasnt paved was "his". He just huffed and puffed then went back, but he did follow us a good ways before we stopped. I just showed him the road was on a map (on my phone) and stood my ground, told him he needs better signage if we both missed it, and even then would have interpreted it as "dont venture OFF the road"...once he saw he was talking to a couple of out of town brick walls he left.

I know theres alot more just like him. I had a dude yell and stop our group out of Pennsboro once. We turned on a road that was signed "dead end". We told him we felt like those signs are for "normal traffic", and seeing g how it's a road on a map, we could still travel... He chatted with us a few and said "y'all seem like good people and I know where you're headed. Theres a gate up there, please close it on your way thru"

I felt the guy on the dead end road had more sway to run us off if he wanted, the guy in Parsons I dont know, I just thought he was rude. Ballsy and rude actually lol
  17. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    they were elsewhere. I will try to get the list together tomorrow. I think I colored them black on my google earth maps
  18. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    WOW.... This is pretty awesome often thought about doing this and looked and there it was already done... I live down in Fayetteville and have some 100+mile loops down here and have started thinking about the WV adventure trail... Sounds like we all need to put our tracts and brains together on it? Infamous I think you and I messaged back and forth last fall... I know its crazy now but maybe later this spring? I will check out the Facebook group also...
  19. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    I looked up WV roads routes and trails and only saw SXS stuff on Facebook?? what did I do wrong??
  20. TheInfamousDrBholmes

Oddometer: