1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

info on the philippines please0

Discussion in 'Asia' started by grumpydog, Oct 20, 2008.

1. grumpydog

grumpydog n00b

Oddometer:
    hey folks - I hoping to hit the Philippines for 3 weeks in Jan. Any info on rentals, routes, where to stay, what to see etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really a bushwhacker but I do want to get off the tarmac and onto the back-roads - question - how long would it take to do a round trip of Luzon on the back-roads? As I said - any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. gsblue

gsblue i'm undertall...

Oddometer:
    Hi grumpydog. You can try http://nice-bike.com/ for rentals. They are based in Angeles City, a nice place to stay and takeoff from, for a Luzon loop via the backroads.

On a leisure pace, you probably can spend 5 days stopping at beaches, mountain ranges and other touristy spots.

I can send you a possible backroad route for the Garmin if you wish. :)
  3. gsblue

gsblue i'm undertall...

Oddometer:
  4. grumpydog

grumpydog n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply - 5 days for Luzon eh! That leaves me a couple of weeks more for riding. I don't want to start a political rant but what about Mindanao? I've heard (not first hand) that that can get a bit iffy? Thanks for the Garmin info offer - I wasn't intending to use a GPS (I really don't know a lot about them) is that going to be a problem? Are there any decent old school paper maps that show some of the backroads?

Thanks again
  5. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
    When you get into the Philippines you can stop at national book store, full of maps on Philippine roads,
  6. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
  7. gsblue

gsblue i'm undertall...

Oddometer:
    Lots of detailed paper maps available like what PIklr says, or maybe our local GPS.... General Public System....just ask the locals when you get lost.:nod

Mindanao...hmm... I know one guy who just came back from there last week from a solo tour, no problems encountered. But backroads in Mindanao might not be a good idea.
  8. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl thats good
  9. themanoy

themanoy the adventure noob

Oddometer:
    Cebu, philippines...adventure?? its in my backyard
    in the philippines for 3 weeks you say??? then don't miss the sinulog festivities here in the island of cebu!!! its a must see event if your coming here at that time of the year! the sinulog is on the 3rd sunday of january which is a whole day worth of fluvial parades, street parties everywhere that last until 5am the next day and cheap food and booze!! and the day before that is the 5th annual street vibrations motorcycle parade in which motorcycle groups from all over the philippines and from other countries will come to join!! better set 5 days here in cebu as well.

theres a german guy who runs a motorcycle rental in the resort island of mactan which is just a bridge cross away from cebu where you can rent an XR200 or a 400cc cruiser or whatever bike they have for a very small fee! there are also a lot of cheap hotels here in cebu which you can stay in. and if your in the mood for some local erotica then there are lot of girly bars you can go to!!

just send me a private message if you need more info about the sinulog festivities, where to stay and go to here in cebu. :D i can even be your guide on the local fire trails and twisties if you want!
  10. Pezza

Pezza Stop sookin, just ride it

Oddometer:
    Hi people,
    Didn't want to start another thread on exactly the same subject, so just sorta hijacked this one, :D hope you don't mind Grumpy Dog ?

I am doing the same thing and after the same sort of info, will be there 1st feb 09 to spend about 8-9 weeks riding around PI.
    Will likely hire a 250 dual purpose from Nice Bikes and start from Angeles, anyone know the cheapest way to get from Manila to Angeles other than walking ?
    After seeing some of the pics on other threads here I think I am going to have a bloody good time!!
    I own a 625sxc and ZX9 here in oz (brisbane) and have raced motox and enduro when I was young and then again for the last 10 years or so.
    So I have a reasonable amount of ability though don't want to do anything too silly over there as it's not my bike and strange country etc.
    I would love to meet up with some of you ADV locals if you have the time, not only to share a beer and some laughs but also to be able to pick your brains on where to go and where not to go.
    The hostpitality would be happily reciprocated if any of you ever decided to wonder over to this great country of ours.:D
    Any info much appreciated.

Cheers
    Pezza
  11. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pezza,

you may check out the www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums site, this is the biggest discussion forum among bikers in the Philippines, a lot in the local language Tagalog so, but you can always ask to answer or post in English.

As for Rolando from Nice Bike, a cool guy, you can get the bikes from him, not sure if they have bigger bikes available for sure the local Honda XR200.

Going to Angeles is very easy. Just take one of the new Yellow cabs from the airport (they are slightly more expensive then the ordinary cabs but will not hassle with meter on or not) then tell the taxi driver to bring you to Victory Liner Bus terminal which is in Pasay, not to far from the airport. There you take a bus to the north, passing by "DAU", ask for that. Then in Dau you get off and take a Tricycle to Nice Bike on Fields Ave. Costs about 150-200 Pesos for the taxi, around 120-150 Pesos Bus to Dau, and around 50-70 Pesos tricycle to Fields.

And do not get stuck in Angeles... ha ha ha

Any more questions just ask...