INFO : Planning a ride in India

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Chanderjeet, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip to India

With India getting a lot of exposure because of ever increasing tourism, many inmates have shown interest in “Riding” in India. I’m starting this thread with whatever little information I have and hope that gradually this thread develops into a “one stop shop for India info”. I request all those who have either traveled in India or know things that can help a fellow ADVrider plan a trip, to post in this thread with relevant and helpful info.

Northern India
    Is most popular among tourists. Offers the best rides in the country partly because of the Himalayas, Kashmir, Rajasthan and Taj Mahal.

Route 1 - I wanna see them darn Himalayas !!

Well, the following route is usually taken by anyone who plans to ride to himalayas. This route is the most frequented and most famous and take you to Leh was the capital of the Himalayan kingdom of Ladakh, now the Leh District in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, India. Leh is at an altitude of 3,650 meters (11,975 ft). The journey takes you from world highest passes (18000+ feet) and provides and experience of a lifetime.

New Delhi – Manali – Marhi – Rohtang Pass – Keylong – Sarchu – Pang – Leh – Khardung La – Delhi.

[​IMG]

Here are some pics from a ride taken by fellow Advrider "Salil" during his run from delhi to leh and back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Route 2 - Wheres the Taj at ?

Taj Mahal in Agra City, in State of Uttar Pradesh is quite literally "the" most visited place in india. Its a tourist hell/heaven but no matter what one thinks, everyone visits the place atleast once. Luckily, its only 4~5 hr ride from New delhi to Agra. But upon entering Agra, its a whole different story. Its where you worst traffic nightmares come true.

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

2. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    Jeetman,

Are there hotels in Fatepur Sikri? I was there a million years ago and I don't remember. It's so close to Agra and Agra is a terrible place to be a western tourist in (non-stop hassles from people who want your money). Plus, apart from the magnificent Taj, I seem to recall Agra being a bit of a dump.

Fatepur Sikri was nice though. :D
  3. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Yes, lots of hotels in Sikri, but Agra has changed. Many famous hotels there, much more better.
  4. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Great post and great pics!
  5. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The north is not the only place for great views! No ice though, in the south and west.

Somewhere on NH 17, between Chiplun and poladpur. This would be on the Goa Mumbai circuit.

Attached Files:

6. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Perfect ride for a weekend. Please provide more details. Kms, place to stay, exact route anything adn everything.
  7. bibo

bibo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. And specially to you Chanderjeet, maestro!

I'm spanish and i'm going to India in june. My plan is to go up to the Himalayas for a month ( + - ) and enjoy all that incredible roads and sceneries. I want to do it on a Bullet 500 but i'm not sure of which is the best way. So i have some questions for you.

Buying and sell it back? Rental?

I've searching info about it but it's difficult to get a real idea of it. Chanderjeet do you know some approx prices for a bullet 500 for a month?

I want to go to Leh and then try to reach Kardhungla Pass, Nubra Valley and Pangong-Tso. Is it good in june?

I've found a club called Bullet Wallas in Delhi. Do you know them?

By the way, if i find useful info for other riders, can i post it here?

Thanx and :freaky
  8. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    I can get exact prices for you from one of the guys. You have chosen the best route and i think june would be good time to go there. I have met the guy who started Bullet Wallas, his name is Ballu. Seemed liked a nice guy, apart from that, i dont know much but they have a website.

And yes, please post more info here.
  9. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. yogesh

yogesh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    June would mean quite a few water crossings and snow on high mountain passes. Though the real problem could be in crossing Rohtang Jot, which can at times get blocked for a day or two due to monsoons (rainy season).
  11. bibo

bibo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've contact Balu several times and yes, he seems a real nice guy, but i think he only has bikes ready to import, not to rent or pay-back. Another guy rents me a bike by 9.000 rps a week but it's too expensive. And i'm waiting to get answer of a couple of guys more.

Is the pay-back system cheaper or best option for a 1 month trip?

I'f you can get me exact prices i would be great. Or If you prefer PM, ok.

Yogesh: Rainy season? I thought it was dry season up there ...
  12. yogesh

yogesh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be precise, the monsoon should arrive by the end of June, so plan accordingly. However irrespective of whether or not it rains, you will come across plenty of water crossings, since the snow will be melting at that time.

Add to that, majority of the schools in north India are closed in June due to summer vacation, so expect to see plenty of tourists in Manali and at Rohtang Pass.

Since you have a month, why don’t you just head to Spiti and from there head to Ladakh.

As for hiring bikes, don’t book in advance. Just arrive in Delhi, go to Karol Bagh and look through various bike rental places (plenty of them there) and bikes and bargain hard. Normally rental is between Rs. 600-900 a day and if you are hiring for a month then it might make sense to buy the bike and sell it later to the same dealer. Most renters will offer this option to you and would also quote you price at which they will buy it back.
  13. xbhpindia

xbhpindia Indian Rider

Oddometer:
  14. ratkes

ratkes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are planning a trip to the Ladakh region of India next year. We have been advised that the road from Manali to Leh is often closed in June. We are planning for the third week in june and the first week in july. Hoping that the road will be open and it will not be too wet. We have work and family commitments which make this the best 2 weeks. We are flying to Delhi then getting the train to Chandigah. What sort of weather can we expect and can you give an indication of day and night temperatures as we will aloso have to take into account satying in tents at either Sarchu or Pang. We are looking at it now to make it a trip to remember and possibly the first of many trips to what looks an absolutely fantastic country.
    Regards Ratkes.
  15. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Weather - wet, because of the monsoons.
    Temp - Very hot in plains, uptil manali. Cooler from there after. Once you cross Rohtang and get into higher altitudes, the nights are very cold and days are pleasant.