[INFO WANTED] Tyre Selection for DRZ

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rmur89, Jan 27, 2018.

1. rmur89

rmur89 Proud Member of FAA Inc.

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.

I've got a DRZ400E that I've been ADV'ing around on for a while now.

I'm currently running Dunlop D606's on the front and back but now that they're wearing out, I'm looking for something a bit more "highway friendly". The D606's are great but they don't last on the road and they're a little rough.

Most of my riding now is bitumen with the odd bit of unsealed road here and there. I ride with my wife (who's on a Ninja 250R) and my father (V-Strom DL1000) so we're not looking for any gnarly off-road bush tracks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on brand and model of tyres that are good for the DRZ that will get me about 70%road / 30%off-road? Or am I better off looking at a more road-biased tyre (80/20)?

Thanks in advance for your wealth of information.

Cheers, Robert.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  2. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you don't need a knobbie at all. I run D606 tires for rallys/events and get about 5K miles out of one. I run Kenda K270 tires for daily use, they are harder and last about 10k miles but still have enough knob to jump on a trail on a whim. If you seriously don't leave the pavement then you will be much better served with a street tire. The "deathwings" (Bridgestone TW42) that came stock on DR650s get their reputation for their incompetence off road but as a tire on a street motorcycle that occasionally finds it's fenders dirty, they aren't a bad tire.

If tire hum and vibration are annoying to you, look for a tread pattern that doesn't have gaps straight across the tire. They will not hook up as well off road but will vibrate less on the highway.
  3. MrBob

MrBob Back in the piney woods. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't believe I recognize that tank.
  4. Chad650

Chad650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I just bought a set of these for my DR 650. They are Hedienau k60's. They are a 50/50 tire i believe but seem to do well on and offroad. Only had them on afew weeks now so cant really comment on the longevity yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dao1 likes this.
  5. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you may be happiest with a much more street oriented tire, an 80/20 type. You will find your bike tracks better, feels more secure in the corners, and brakes better. Less "Knobbie wiggle" and generally better adhesion and confidence on tarmac. Also far superior in the rain.

Options include, depending on and avability and what you have to spend:

Shinko 705

Pirelli MT90

Pirelli Scorpion Trail

Continental TKC70

Heidenau K76

Any of the above will transform your bike on the tarmac and will perform just fine on the odd unsealed road here and there- anywhere your Wife and Dad will be willing to go with their machines.
    Dao1 likes this.
  6. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    If you haven't already found your answer you may want to move this request over to the DRZ subforum. Lots of experts over there. FWIW I love the D606s on my 400s, but at California freeway speeds they can be a bit unsteady without a stabilizer
  7. Hellequin

Hellequin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safari tank, looks like the 28lt one.
  8. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I found the Shinko 244 ran smoother than the Michelin T63s I had on previously. Dirt cheap as well.
    Weldman likes this.
  9. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a T63 man on my DR650 but I've run Shinko 244s as well and vouch for them for a more road-worthy tire.
  10. BradventureRider

BradventureRider Power to rip yer bloody arms off!!!

Oddometer:
    Bingo!!!!!!! Got it in one. :-)
  11. Sertguy

Sertguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for the K60's but no so great in the rain. As far as longevity, I get about 8k to 10k on the rear and 12k on the front on a GSA.

Also, what wind screen is on your DRZ??? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  12. rmur89

rmur89 Proud Member of FAA Inc.

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

Firstly, apologies first for being so slack on the forum, I don't get on here much.

Secondly, thank you all so much for your valuable answers. I've now got a lot to think about but I'm confident you've put me in the right direction.

Now for some answers to your very own questions:

- The fuel tank is indeed a Safari 28 litre tank. You can find them here: https://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/
    - The windscreen is an Eagle Screen made in Western Australia. They helped me out quite a lot because apparently my headlight shroud is not a genuine one, as they pointed out to me. They were very helpful and offered me a solution that worked for me with some slight modifications. You can check them out here: http://www.eaglescreens.com.au/
    - Just a point of interest (in case you are interested), the other two great things that I've added to this bike are the rear rack (made by Cycle Racks in America [http://cycleracks.com/], though I bought mine through their eBay page because I'm in Australia) and a replacement seat (Seat Concepts, also American [https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/] and again, bought through an Australian dealer, Adventure Moto [https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/]). The rack is a great size and they've been designed to mount onto the bike in a lot of good places to give them a lot of strength. The seat is softer than the standard timber block and has made riding for hours bearable - dare I say, even enjoyable?

Again, thank you all for your valuable input. I'll check them all out and report back with what I've found.

Cheers,
    Robert