Input on Genuine Buddy 125

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by pnw, Jan 15, 2019.

1. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in no hurry but on the lookout for a great buy for a low mileage Buddy 125. If I find one at the right price I would do the 161cc NCY/Prima big bore kit which is relatively cheap and has good reviews. To anyone in the know - are there years to avoid due to mechanical issues? I might make an offer on a '08 which appears to be the first year it was offered.

2. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife's buddy is a 06 it's headlight is smaller and not the best ride after dark. Major work to update the headlight. The lights are the only change in the buddy's history just different colors and some special models like the Black Jack. Modern Buddy is a good forum. Oil filters have a round rubber seal got to tighten the hell out it. Hand tighten oil filter will vibrate loose and destroy your engine before you can stop. My wife's 125 and my Black Jack was left stock engine wise just Dr pulley sliders never any mechanical trouble that wasn't caused by me or the shop.
    pnw likes this.
  3. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    So 2008 wasn't the first model year then. Do you know what year the headlight was improved/enlarged? I couldn't find that info with a google search.
  4. Trucker jay

Oddometer:
    I think that it was 06 only and later years had a led tail light but that's a easy update since the shape is the same.
    pnw likes this.
  5. Hittman

Hittman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2006 was the only year of the incandescent small headlight. 2007 and later had a larger halogen headlight with much better output. Otherwise they are all basically the same besides colors. Can't go wrong with a Buddy.
    pnw likes this.
  6. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have the 2006 Buddy 125 with the somewhat inadequate headlight. In the years we've owned it other than a few repairs like replacing the mirror where my son dented it nothing other than routine maintenance has been done. It survived the Harvey floods something our more expensive Aprilia bikes didn't do with little more than a fluid/filter change. Seriously, it has been a reliable work horse serving two teenage boys as a daily rider to high school and first year of university. We've owned a dozen bikes/scooters and it has been the most bullet proof of them all including a Honda and Suzuki. The only ding and that is minor is the headlight on the 2006 which isn't very bright. OTOH, that's our city scooter so with the lighting in the city it isn't a major issue. It is one of the few bikes/scooters I'd recommend without a single reservation. The scoot has performed well, better than its specs would have ever let me think possible (verified by GPS of 72mph which is faster than a 10" wheeled 125 should every reach) and build quality is excellent.
    Trucker jay, CaptnJim and pnw like this.
  7. tbonestone

tbonestone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also keep on the lookout for a Buddy Blackjack. 150cc stock, with all the NCY goodies including improved variator. slightly different motor than the 125, so the cylinder kit doesn't carry over i believe. But you get a factory installed oil cooler; and the same great Buddy lasting power if properly maintained.
    pnw likes this.
  8. Trucker jay

Oddometer:
    I had a Black Jack for a couple years/8,000 miles. I think it came with lighter rollers it took off like a bat out hell from a dead stop. Stock it ate back tires 1,500 miles on that maxis white wall is it baby smooth. Dr pulley sliders fixed that my longest trip was from Chattanooga to Barbers motorcycle outside of Birmingham AL. Only thing a I had to replace was a sparkplug cap.
    pnw likes this.
  9. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Buddy 125 fanboy. Every time I ride it a big grin appears on my face - I ride it like I stole it. It punches out of its weight class - and handles pretty damn well, too. Other than the highway, it is good to go on just about any paved road.

At about 10,000 miles I was prepping it for a trip to the Black Hills last fall. Checking the trans components, I was dumbfounded at how minor the wear was in the rollers, belt, and other parts. Only things ever replaced have been tires. PGO knows how to build them. Only complaint, if I dare call it that, on my 13 yr old '06 model is the headlight, and the plastic "chrome" is starting to fail.

As to the question of what years to avoid, I recall reading of stator problems on some years, but can't recall which years. I think the 06 is the only year with plastic gas tank.

Read some about the 161 kits, there are a couple of guys on MB that have them. Not something that I have considered.
    pnw likes this.
  10. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a good looking low mileage black jack for sale locally for ~$1,500 last summer but I wasn't in the market at the time.

The option of installing a proven effective and high quality big bore is partly what makes the Buddy 125 interest me. I foolishly sold my SYM HD200 last summer which was my only other scooter experience. It was very fast/quick and I'm afraid I would be disappointed with a scooter that didn't give at least the feeling of that kind of performance. I do want to try a small wheel scooter and a small scooter like the Buddy probably feels a lot quicker than it is. I'm not looking for top speed, if the Buddy can go 60ish that would be enough, but I want to be able to hold speed on hills. I don't need a scooter that will last tens of thousands of miles so reduced durability with the big bore doesn't concern me much and I haven't seen any reports of problems with the big bore.

Thanks for the replies.
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    We don't have many hills in Houston but we do get heavy winds that affect scooter performance about the same in my experience. One United Scooter Riders ride we had really strong winds. The Buddy 125s were not the scooters holding the group back on the 60mph roads. That was the Chinese Roketas that could barely hold 35 with riders who complained bitterly about how "fast" the group wanted to go. I know a couple of Buddy riders decided to head home separately and they maintained 60. In my experience the Buddy 125 has no trouble holding 60 but above 65 isn't common. It has very good acceleration which makes it feel fast. With the little wheels and very light weight it is very responsive. Some people coming from bigger bikes consider it "twitchy" because of it. Fun little scoot and very popular.
  12. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PNW - holding speed on the hills.....depends on the hill! Never really noticed, or had been a concern. But, riding with the Captain and the Blonde this past fall I think that my wife (on her vino 125) and I held them up some on a few "hills". Ok, so they were more like mountain passes in the Black Hills, and we slowed down to about 25 on the steepest of them. The PCX 150 and Vespa 250 were faster up those hills.

It is what it is - and all relative. On the curvy stuff, we had big v-twin cruisers pulling over to get us off their tails - so it all evens out?
    CaptnJim likes this.
  13. Trucker jay

Oddometer:
    I never used a big bore kit but they add a lot of torque for hill climbing more than top speed
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Thinking about that great riding and meeting new friends brings a big ol' smile to my face. Tentatively planning to head that way again this summer. See you there?
  15. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swing by Breck on your way.
  16. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own

Oddometer:
    The Buddy is an excellent scooter in all displacements. Have you considered a Buddy 170, or other larger scooter? IMO it is far better to buy something that fits your needs stock, rather than try and modify it to be something it wasn't originally designed to be. Genuine put an oil cooler on the 170, and I have still heard about overheating issues when being ridden full throttle. Modern engines are designed to be just as strong as they need to be stock. They don't hold up well when you try to squeeze more power out of them.
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Could happen; depends on the timing. It has been a while since we've been to Colorado.
    cdwise likes this.
  18. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did consider the 170i, this one is listed for $1,200 in Seattle, less than 500 miles on it, I don't know if it is a legitimate sale but it looks like it might be.
    [​IMG]

Decided to not follow up on it for a few reasons. Besides the overheating issue I want a kick start, not fuel injected and I don't like the oil cooler location. I'm not worried about durability if I did a big bore install on a 125 and it is supposed have more power than the 170i (which has only 1.5hp more than a stock 125, 11.2 vs 9.7)
  19. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own

Oddometer:
    I can definitely understand not wanting fuel injection. Out of 7 bikes I have now, none of them are fuel injected. One was when new, but I converted it to a carb. Good luck with it.
  20. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nuttin' I would like better...we'll see how it goes. Planning a bit of travel - Florida, China, and scooter fun in Lake Geneva. Spending our retirement funds!
    CaptnJim likes this.