inReach satcom protective cover

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Granitic, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    If my inReach is ever really needed, it needs to work. While a rugged unit, the screen is a bit of a vulnerability even when the unit is buried in my pack.

I made up this cover using 2-inch Schedule 40 PVC pipe, which is actually 2.37 inches diameter. The cut (chord of circle) is about 2-1/8 inches:

[​IMG]

A couple of sturdy rubber bands cut from inner tube hold it on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also carry a Gomadic USB power pack (“Portable Emergency AA Battery Charger Extender suitable for the DeLorme inReach SE”) and four lithium AAs which have very long storage life. This reserve power is about 4 oz in a ZipLock, while the inReach itself is 7 oz.
  2. RoverDover

RoverDover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant - I'll be making up five for our inReach units we use for our BSA canoeing program.

We've already had one false alarm and ended up with the Ontario Provincial Police looking for a crew in Algonquin Park.
  3. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Glad to help and thanks for the feedback
  4. Granitic

Oddometer:
    This is a nice illustration of why I use inReach

http://info.delorme.com/em/enterprise-sos.html

Of course this is a simple and linear situation but it makes the point.

Two-way comms support situations where coordination, diagnostics, and problem-solving are required, such as multi-stage transportation, air and ground operations, worsening weather, and equipment recoveries.
  5. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A nice full body cover is available from the GizzMoVest folks,who also make a lot of GPS,etc covers.
    Maybe combine some version of your cover with the Gizzmovest for superb protection.

JR356
    Granitic likes this.