Insert clever airhead based title here ....

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by planktonnn, Aug 25, 2009.

?

I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...

1. Nice?

38 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Nasty?

47 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Nasty but nice?

194 vote(s)
    70.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. planktonnn

planktonnn .also, i am a tw@rt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Intermission:

2. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    timkil and rightsideup like this.
  3. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:
    But I love the ermine innit?
  4. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ Well, I was going to ask...
  5. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Such intricate machines are we - 'If all this sounds complicated, it’s because it is, on purpose. Allison’s lab had discovered an elaborate safety mechanism, an aspect of the larger framework of checks and balances that prevents the immune system from going into overdrive and attacking healthy body cells. Each safety is a sort of fuse that gets tripped if a trigger-happy T cell is programmed to target the wrong antigen, such as ones found on normal body cells. It was a way of repeatedly asking Are you sure about this? before T cells turned into killing machines.' https://www.wired.com/story/meet-jim-allison-the-texan-who-just-won-a-nobel-cancer-breakthrough/ NB: Long form read.

tl:dr - 'Chance favours the prepared mind. - Louis Pasteur'​
  6. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Well that didn't bluddy work... Still tho/ough, the undertank wiring needed tidying from the initial Boyer install anywah, so... And the coil stack & leads are a better fit when facing 'backwards' too.

Took the 15 mile back-roads-west-loop to the T-Hut without any ign drops. So far, so good, but ultimately meaningless.

Met DBD there & chatted various $chit on 'Lectrics 'n' imaginary fernagles, until there was a 4 vehicle collision on the road. A lorry rolling into the back of awkwardly slowing traffic for temp traffic lights ahead, & it concertinaed* 3 cars to varying degrees. Made way over & scanned for big injuries but all goodish.

Whilst Thunderbird 1 (DBD) dealt with the various drivers & their potential injuries/shock symptoms (& took evidentiary positional pics) I took myself to directing the heavily bottled traffic, much of which (including said lorry) had been sat-navved this way because of an issue elsewhere. Just as well I once attended that Motor Racing Marshall's Club training day, eh?

They say Marshalls are the only ones you see running towards the crash as it's still happening...

Some time after the first pro's arrived the road was cleared & I was relieved of 30 min traffic duties. But, bearing in mind nobody was seemingly particularly injured, I hope you'd understand my meaning when I might say I had fun at it. It's the most I've danced in years...

?

When all the sorry soup-opera was tied up & DBD scooted off I finished my now-cold coffee (what's the iced one called?) and took the other-long-east-loopback over the other hills to The Village. 5 miles into that run the ign dropped. Then again at least 2 times on the subsequent shortcut back. Grrrr etc.

Pootling the Motosickle to by my front door I rolled out the workshop (see earlier version below) & took to working at it.

ed HPIM3508.jpg
    NB: Old pic. Now it's just trolley + 2 metal accordion tool boxes.
    i.e Mech Tools 1 & 'Lec Tools A.

First I removed the left foot peg (RAASK rearsets) because yesterday I'd noticed the peg bracket had cracked. It's been on there for near 12 years & who-knows-how-many offs, so not so bad really. And it can be welded for reuse if I ever need it again (see 'K75 refurb that never starts' 1st line next para. [Yes. At last. A truly surplus subnote {I mean, what's the point of any of these unpublishable affectations?}]).

I've an old set of RAASKs fitted to the K75 Rat endless refurb that never starts, and while the mountplate & linkages are model specific, the pegs themselves are common units so it all fitted together again on the DMW Rat80 just fine. And whilst at it I adjusted the length of the brake linkage at the pedal, to lower the arm a little.

It hadn't been an issue, but whilst I had it apart, no?... :1drink

Then I attacked the right OEM kill/start switchgear module with massed armies of contact cleaner spray & assorted 'prongs', flushing the body & making sure to wiggle/prod/clean the switch areas as best I could. If I took it apart I'd do it with hands in a plastic bag, for inevitable errant springs & balls & contact plates. This because I've previously crawled around a car park with a magnet...

But I'll try a clean/wiggle/scrub for now.

Anywah, I've identified the actual wires (as opposed to those merely visible in the diag) that need to be looped to bypass the kill sw, so will knock up a patchlead & maybe plug it in if the issue revisits. Which it probably will, tho/ough it might not. But it probably will. Depends what the switch scrub does, eh?

Onwards & sideways.
    TOODLE PARP!?!​

* Yes, it looks wrong doesn't it, but it's apparently the right spelling. This side of the pond anwah.
    timkil and Brun like this.
  7. Dirtyboydeadly

Dirtyboydeadly AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer:
    By now I would of run a red power feed straight to the coil and put a press to kill button in line. Just to see if it fixes the problem.
    If it still dropped out than its a issue with the boyer
  8. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoon in the shed this week. The kaff has sprung a oil leak
  9. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ I should be back Nailsburgh way Tue :1drink See what cooks :thumbup
    Dirtyboydeadly likes this.
  10. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Well it's been 48 miles, then drop. Then 20 odd miles, then another 50 odd.

Suggested workaround 2b discussed l8tr...
    Dirtyboydeadly likes this.
  11. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    A successful afternoon in the shed. Hopefully the tweeking up of sump bolts and timing chain cover has fixed it
  12. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ Good-good, everything on your Kaff all looked oil tight to me in the end. Only a good blast & flow loading will show I guess. Like you said tho/ough, even then it's an old-metal track day so there's a sorta difference between any subsequent seeping & any revealed poss v-v-lite misting, but we'll see what it does. Seemed all snugged up to me.

Mine was much less lumpy on the way back after the kind karb knurbling, ta :1drinkBut that comparative lack of air screw reaction on the left means something, huh? Will dig into the valve clearances when I get a straight shot at it.

In the mean time, even whilst being less vibey, it ign-dropped twice on the (back way) way back so I'm going to temp patch-lead bypass the kill sw as discussed earlier to eliminate it as a (vague) potential source, before maybe taking it apart to clean & inspect (cue plastic bag). I meanz the uber sw clean gave better mileage between drops, so maybe? Must be eliminated as poss at least.

And I'll send a copy of the current (pre patch) wiring diag to Motogadget & Boyer to see if they have anything to say before I get into the coil direct feed/momentary sw idea. Will assemble the bits in the meantime.

Prob the next thing is a dig into the charge light fabrication...

Cheers :1drink

NB: F General I, M-U allows start to act as (temp) momentary double-tap kill function.
    Brun likes this.
  13. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    BMW India.jpg
    Nicked from elsewhere, original attribution unknown.​
  14. timkil

timkil tool collector

Oddometer:
    Now there's a shop. As long as it doesn't rain too hard. I used to work like this until I bought a house with a basement. Spoiled, I am.
    planktonnn likes this.
  15. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ Well they got a better setup than me :lol3

In the location I saw the pic there seemed to be a mix of 'You can fix these things anywhere', & 'That's why I ride an Airhead', along with ref to 'Long Way Round/Down' welding errors, with an unwelcome tinge of 'I don't rate Indian mechs' that was seemingly tainted by apparent Xenophobia? To my reading at least.

Trolls eh? :1drink
  16. timkil

timkil tool collector

Oddometer:
    Speaking of trolls, been down to the big city to see our village idiot today?
    rightsideup likes this.
  17. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    rightsideup, timkil and Brun like this.
  18. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Installed kill sw bypass patch-lead this morn & the Motosickle has since just done 50 miles with no ign dropouts. Doesn't entirely mean a lot just yet, but it may be a sign?

Will add further miles 2morr whilst running out to pick up a parcel I missed, and then dig into the valve clearances & spraying the fekk out of the carbs in an attempt to ease a rising static idle...

It's all data ain't it :1drink
    Brun likes this.
  19. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    50 miles is good. I'll venture a small, barely audible 'woohoo'.
    planktonnn likes this.
  20. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    BMW thumbs up b small.jpg
    Slight change of 'plan', as tho/ough there were one. Ha. Haha. Cough.

This afternoon (Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms time & post T-Hut political/economic/moral/gamut debate) I rolled the DMW Motosickle round onto the outdoor workpad, hoicked it up onto the paddock stands & did the valve clearances.

The inlets were to book but the exhausts were a tad tight. Now they're done I note I can properly hear them rappety-tappeting away again (NB: heads are seemingly 'good period' valve seats with no previous sign of recession).

Funnee how you forget what it ought to sound like. Oh how I laff.​

I then set off on a test run out to the other side of town to see if the missed parcel (a new holster wallet after all these years) had made it back to the depot yet, but once the bike had fully warmed I found it was idling (in traffic) at what seemed to be around 3.14159265359k rpm (NB: no tacho), and when rolling faster it was 'pushing on' off throttle.

This was natural as yesterdays kind karb kraburbling was of course (knowingly) done against bad exhaust valve clearances. And by-the-by tight (i.e. increased overlap or non-seating?) seems to cause static idle rise?​

I pulled over & lay 'neath tha machine at the roadside, on one side of town (by a school I used to go to, or more precisely not go to) to ruin the side-balance by fiddling the idle back down via entirely random twiddling of top & bottom screws, and this of course made the bike run lumpy again. At least it wasn't revving to a frankly embarrassing level in traffic tho/ough.

Then as I made my way out the far side of Nailsburgh I saw some oncoming traffic-bound ejit flashing his car lights at me. Is my s-stand down I thought? No. Zo I was about to raise The Digit (it was rigid & stiff), but I noticed it was DBD, so just waved :lol3

You see I had earlier roused The Digit (it was rigid & stiff) at a pedestrian in town, because I know all about him & his secrets, & whilst I wouldn't generally judge a fellow proto-humanzee who's in the end not so different from me, he's deffo been put on the w@anker list (as I so deservedly have too).

I mean, there are plentee reasons to label him thus, but the simplest & perhaps most easily illustrative & digestible is that he's changed his name from Jeffery (Jeffrey?, not Geoffrey) Norris to Jo(h?)nny Heartbreaker... I mean there's for sure plentee filth in my past, but this guy... Sheesh etc. :1drink

wallet.jpg
    I don't, fyi, wear it underarm like Danno from Hawaii 5-0.
    As if it matters it's round my kneck on my chest. Elastostrap discarded.
    Can't have the 'feds' thinking ur reaching, eh?
    'Specially with Big Don in the locale...

Parcel collected, I made my way back & stopped off at DBDs on the way by to debrief changes, and he was beyond generous in that he once more took to the carbs, tho/ough this time against a proper valve setting + he didn't make me feel like A$$trail (see posts passim).

The previously unresponsive left idle screw now made a difference, & once I fekked off & left him to his deserved evening (razz on Kaff to the Classic Bike Club to knurble on events & test oil tightness under full pressure) I found the DMW Motosickle En'Djin to be most cooperative on the carcass strewn route back to The Village.

This all added miles, so now it's just over 80 since the last dropout*, and whilst I verily hesitate to dare utter such, there may (so far) have been some kind of solution to the dropout issue, maybe. Possibly. Only time (& miles) will tell.

Thing is to manage my internal response if it does ign drop-out again, and to monitor the performance of the M-Unit & Boyer (e.g. temp etc.), so as to check for any further hand-along fault states (and poss damage?) caused by any potential sustained loading issue that the dropout was previously relieving? (really '?').

I mean, it's a stretch, but you know, just to keep an eye on things as it's my lonnnnngtimes experience that when I think things are 'better' it's because they're about to go waaaaaay wrong ...​

Zo - Am yet to re-attack the carbs with spray cleaner**. For just now I'll be leaving well enough alone & hitting miles. There's a place I'd like to be if I could. You know it :1drink

TOODLE PARP!?! etc.

When all comes to all I'm glad I'm stupid:

Or, if you prefer:

* I note incoming notification re Bruns small, barely audible 'woohoo' as I write & rewite this. Yuh huh :rofl

** Main Jets swapped from experimental 148s back to stock 145's. Bike still niggles @ 60mph top gear. Needle wear or needle clip position? Hmmm...
    Brun likes this.