Insert clever airhead based title here ....

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by planktonnn, Aug 25, 2009.

?

I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...

1. Nice?

41 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. Nasty?

49 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Nasty but nice?

198 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. planktonnn

planktonnn .also, i am a [email protected]

Oddometer:
    Overpricing (pt 76b)...

Once a month, on the last Wednesday, I wander just across Oxfraud St to pick up a copy of Classic Bike. The only place around he that stocks it is Selfridges, so I've little option but to go to the news stand in the basement. Today I looked out of the corner of my eye whilst paying, and in the next booth-slot I saw some big slick tyres/ires, which turned out to be Pirelli F1 rears. Mostly, it was a display of AMG branded bicycles, but on the far corner they had a Valterri Bottas replica helmet, 1:1 size.

Yours in a yellow branded bag for £5,000 - I mean it was quite nice, but five grand? At the link above you can get it for 3...
    Dirtyboydeadly likes this.
  2. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Sweeney @ Cookstown

Cuts in at highside... He raced later so was OK by a fashion?
  3. timkil

timkil tool collector

Oddometer:
    planktonnn likes this.
  4. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  5. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    How to discourage a thief from 5 (or 6 depending on how you count) floors up...​

The naughty red VW referred to above is still there, and while I've been tempted I've as yet refrained from logging a report for the reasons discussed above. However, just now I happened to be going to lean out the window around 1am on a LDN night, as I sometimes do, you know, and as I got there I noticed a Black guy walk up to the car & open the back door to lean in & open the front. He stepped into the drivers seat and out of my sight, and I didn't know whether it was the bona fide owner or not, what with him too being a Black male of very similar build, which is why I mentioned it at all...

As I glanced with vague interest he seemed to be fiddling about a little, and then started rummaging in the bags on the passenger seat & in the glovebox. This seemed to me to be a green light to intervene, even from this height, so I went thru/ough to the kitchen window & flipped half a bottle of watter out so that it arced through the light of the lamp there & down to splash onto the car. No direct result other than him seeming to stop riffling in confusion over the very localised rain maybe?, so the act was repeated, this time with more watter.

A wet unstolen vroom vroom.
    IMG_20211004_010737803.jpg
    The white fronted house above right is said to have belonged to Frank Sinatra.

This deluge landed firmly on the hood, screen & roof and he gathered his stuff & exited the tatty vehicle. As he sheepishly wandered off I blankly called out 'eh, thief' to which he oddly replied 'fair enough, sorry' before disappearing around the corner followed by my 'fekk orf'. As the owner of the car lives directly beneath me I took by keys without looking at the clock and went & tapped on his door. After a short while he answered bleary eyed to be briefly told what was going down, and that his car is unlocked & somewhat wet. He's not since bothered to go out to sort it, so sorta fekk'im eh?...

Beyond discouraging assorted localised crimmy-ness in the vicinity of the street parked DMW Motosickle I'm not bothered if his car gets broken into. But I guess his laxness has maybe brought it one step closer to being reported & towed? None of any of this matters does it, but I'm sort of bored you know?

:1drink
  6. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  7. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    As an 'interesting' anomaly I note that whilst the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency check site shows a green box on the MOT status of a historic vehicle (as declared via V112), the Driver Vehicle Standards Agency check site shows a red 'test expired' box for the same vehicle.

Having called the DVSA just to dot/cross any i's & t's I'm told the Polis, in any roadside checks, make reference only to the DVLA database, which will show the live status of a historic exemption declaration, or at least not show an expired test.

And by 'interesting', I mean typical of the behemoth that is institutional provision...
  8. planktonnn

Oddometer:

24 Hr 2021​
  9. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  10. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    fff.jpg
    orig attrb unknown...
  11. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  12. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:
  13. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    :rofl Aye, we'll arrange a parade.

But re ULEZ, as with anything there are plusses & minuses eh? It taxes the poorer motorist without economic power to 'choose' clean. But then Oxfraud St has the cleanest air I've know now it's not clogged with thru/ough traffic... etc. etc.

Plusses & minuses... :1drink
    rightsideup likes this.
  14. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  15. Dirtyboydeadly

Dirtyboydeadly AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer:
    Oh bugger Screenshot_20211007-222901.png
  16. rightsideup

Oddometer:
    A parade? Brilliant!
    For added realism, over the week of my re-enactment*, I intend to squat a variety of buildings ranging from a hastily abandoned embassy to an empty nurses’ hostel and all points in between. Primary calorific input will come from ale, crisps and whizz.

*I do worry it may descend into cosplay
  17. rightsideup

Oddometer:
    And now some Airhead content for you...

UK Ebay currently has 25 airheads for sale that were manufactured between 1971-1981. Of those, 12 are of the 'custom, cafe, scrambler, brat, bobber, tracker' persuasion - they also happen to be the most overpriced.
    My question is, if these bikes really are such awesome and unique 'builds' (I don't believe this to be true btw), why are their creators selling the fuckers? I think I know the answer to this but wondered what the collective reckons?
    Each to their own and I'm all for 'symbols of individuality and belief in personal freedom' but I find it risible how much of the uniqueness is pretty much identical.

EDIT to add... There are 11 Guzzis listed from the same era with only 2 'custom' examples, one of which looks to be pretty well done. So that's an 12/25 v a 2/11 ratio - what's that about?
  18. rightsideup

Oddometer:
  19. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Ah, well... Now that I got the DMW in Ldn I made arrangements to have the T-Hut moved to my postcode where they've set it up in a gated compound just for me. They said that after I stopped my daily passing visits they just didn't make the money to keep it going but I'm sure thing's will be just fine now. Apparently for promotional reasons they insisted on coming up with this "it's been stolen" stunt.

It was actually stored behind your sheds for two days before being shipped up here, I'm surprised you didn't spot it...

20. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    It already is cosplay, tho/ough that's entirely coincidental as a lot of 'Tha Gang' are also members of a Village Peeple tribute forum. The squatted embassy you ref would be Iran? It did become available rather fast didn't it... Myself, I too once squatted in a nurses hostel. Erm, unempty... Arf etc.
    Looking just now the modded bikes do seem to be predominantly classified ads don't they?, tho/ough the one that's also 'offers' really ought to attract a bid of £14.99 quid pounds, just because... There's a modded F650 'scrambler' on there too.

Meanwhile, as with this modded GS for sale on MCN, if ones going to pay one might at least get something for the money...

As for my reckoning, well, I can only imagine the Enjins have all have zoomy Moorespeeeeeeeeed innards & the sellers felt like not mentioning it?
    Boy oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy etc. ad inf.

I think I'd rather pay that kinda money to spend 5 week here, which is just over the Thames from me, and by such proximity it will become my local workshop.

And my worthless penny-worth? Bolt say 'Motorcycling is all about authentic experience' and then do everything it isn't...

rightsideup likes this.