Inserting a Track Section in Basecamp

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by JMartin, Aug 7, 2018.

1. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    I am trying to add a newly found section of trail into an existing track. When I do a Join Track, BaseCamp wants to draw a long straight line from the tail of the new section to a far end of the existing track. Any suggestions for eliminating that long straight line (or not creating it in the first place)?
    Thanks,
    Jay
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

upload them here and I'll merge them
  3. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    I would prefer to learn to do it myself. I do all this sort of stuff in DeLorme Topo, convert it with GPSBabel, and then import into BaseCamp. But I'm in Vermont at a friends and would like to both show him how to do it with just BaseCamp and learn myself.
    Thanks,
    Jay
    ohgood likes this.
  4. DustyWheels

DustyWheels Nomadic motorcyle traveller

Oddometer:
    Make sure your tracks are in the correct order and the direction of travel is the same for all tracks.
    dpike likes this.
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    totally understand.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had mixed luck doing stuff like this in Basecamp. Sometimes it works and sometimes no matter what I do it doesn't.

You certainly have to do what DustyWheels said.

If all else fails this might work. Open the track to be inserted track window. Select the points you want to add. Copy them to the clipboard.
    Open the track you want to modify. Scroll to where you want to put the new points. Paste them in.

This is my bread and butter method for doing this in Mapsource. I vaguely remember it didn't work right in early versions of Basecamp. But maybe it does now.
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    As previously stated, the issue is the direction of travel. Invert one track, and then merge them
  8. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    Here is where things stand. I've recreated a similar, but simplified, situation. The blue track is the main way to travel; the magenta track is an alternate path one might take for any number of reasons.
    upload_2018-8-11_19-24-13.png
    Rather than having to load two separate tracks when riding this area, I would like to insert the magenta section into the blue track. But BaseCamp wants to draw a line to one end or the other of the blue track depending upon order.
    upload_2018-8-11_19-26-25.png
    upload_2018-8-11_19-27-15.png
    Reversing direction of one of the two tracks doesn't help.
    Does anyone know how to do this in BaseCamp? Or even how to do it an entirely different way in BaseCamp?
    Thanks,
    Jay
  9. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    Ingenious; I had no idea one could do such a thing. BaseCamp does insert the track but is still drawing a straight line, albeit not all the way back to one end or the other of the main track.
    upload_2018-8-11_20-7-10.png
    Thanks,
    Jay
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This happens sometimes when you don't insert the new stuff in exactly the right place. You can usually fix it by deleting one or maybe a few track points.

Open the text version of the track. Scroll through it point by point in the offending area. When you get to that straight line section, delete that point. You might have to do this a couple of times.

It helps to spend a few seconds trying to understand exactly what is happening as you do the scrolling. This is not magic. Basecamp is drawing exactly what it sees in the track file.

If you haven't fixed the problem after about 5 deletions, then you have done something wrong (happens a lot to me). I usually start over by deleting the new section and reinserting it after making sure the tracks are running in the direction they should be.
    JMartin likes this.
  11. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    Okay, I got it to work but with an additional step. I followed @wbbnm instructions to cut and paste in the magenta segment. Then I inverted the magenta segment and cut and pasted it in right after the first. This provided BaseCamp with a way to get back to the insertion point that wasn't a straight line. Rather, BaseCamp just followed the same magenta line back. Does that make sense to anyone but me? Jay
    wbbnm likes this.
  12. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. If the alternate path is to be an integral part of 1 track, it will need to be displayed as you would record it in the real world. That is to say your track has to double back over the top of the other portion of the track just as would be the case if you were to set out to record the track in one ride vs a simple paste edit in BC. I think all tracks & editing software behave the same.

Bruce
    wbbnm likes this.
  13. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it might be easier to make two tracks and just display both of them.

I often have my main track and some alternate paths on the screen at once. A short run up to a viewpoint, for instance.

Having a portion of the track "double back" will work as long as you don't ever get near the track size limits.

I always think of a track on my GPS as the equivalent of a yellow highlighter on a paper map. Most GPS units will display several at once.
    DustyWheels likes this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    georeferenced your screenshot (2 minutes, in the app),
    Screenshot_2018-08-14-06-18-17.png

then followed it to create two different tracks (30 seconds, in app), and merged them into one track (5 seconds in app) to display here. direction of travel is the same, no odd return lines, just a simple track to follow.

Screenshot_2018-08-14-06-19-51.png

I'm not used to bumping up against point count/size limit anymore since I started using phone apps, and normally just display tracks of different color according to difficulty. if you're doing it all in Basecramp, you might as well have two tracks, so your Garmin database will show both easy/hard, and importing/exporting won't get weird with other units that don't know how to handle a non return linked track.
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Multiple tracks are what I would generally do.

But I had a Garmin 60 for several years, and it only allowed 20 tracks. So I had a lot of out-and-back options in my main track on long rides.

And occasionally with the Montana I will put an out and back optional loop in just because it seems right and I feel like it at the time.

I would tend to do an out-and-back for a run up to a view point that I knew I wanted to see. But then I would create the track using routing and so the out-and-back would automatically get created.