installing fog lights with no electrical knowledge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadrunner18, Apr 10, 2008.

1. roadrunner18

roadrunner18 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, my gs's previous owner installed some after market fog lights. they worked when i bought the bike, now they don't. the bike also came with a second set of fog lights which i think i want to install instead of the current one. the current lights only have one cable going to them. the black and white cables come together, then one wire goes to one of the lights. the other light only has a red wire going to it (which i don't understand) the new lights that i want to install have two wires coming out of them, white and red. the switch has three wires, one black which is grounded; a red wire going to the battery and the two lights, and a white wire going to just one of the lights. maybe some electric 101 might help me to try to figure this out. any help would be appreciated
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Simply!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is not difficult to wire up a set of lights. Just follow the diagram and you will be fine!

Jim :brow
  3. roadrunner18

roadrunner18 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm pretty sure there is no relay currently installed. could the lights have worked without one, or have i just not located it yet? if i need a relay, can i get one at an auto parts store?

thanks
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Yes, they CAN work without one, but it is hard on the switch. Yes, you can get a relay for about $5 at most autoparts stores in the lighting section.

5. roadrunner18

roadrunner18 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    can you buy a wiring kit? at this point i might be better off to start fresh
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Usually PepBoys and Autozone have them in a kit! About $20.

7. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Your switch is just a click on-off type right?

If so, the black wire is for illumination, if you ground that there will be a light come on when the switch is on.

Otherwise, as you know you have one lead with 12V hot and the other goes to the lights.

Virtually all lights will be set up with either one lead or two. If they only have 1 lead then they rely on an electrical ground where they are bolted, so as long as you bolt them to the frame you are OK. If you bolt them to plastic then you'll need to run a second wire to battery-, either directly or just run to the frame somewhere.

The problem with most kits is they use 14 gauge wire, and 12 gauge works noticeably better, especially after a year or two when things start getting old. I'd be tempted to first just replace the lights, then once they work upgrade the wire. If the switch gets noticeably hot, or even warm then I'd put in a relay (make sure it isn't from the annunciator light though) as some of your voltage is being converted to heat instead of light but otherwise it is not mandatory.