1. eNewsletter Sign Up

installing motech crashguards

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by elijahst, Jul 18, 2007.

1. elijahst

elijahst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any installation comments? suggestions?
  2. bereahorn

bereahorn Long timer

Oddometer:
    If these are the ones sold by Twisted Throttle they won't fit properly on the front if you have an after market shock;according to their web site. I have a brand new set in the box but never got to install them as I sold the '01GS,so I don't have hands on knowledge. Regards.John
  3. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    Crashguards are uninvolved with the rear shock. That would be the skid plate. The only error I seen anyone make is not to use enough washers on the large through bolt to keep the guards from touching the frame on either side. Use a pipe extension on the wrench to get the nut off that bolt and everything els is pretty straightforward.

edit: Whoops! Wrong bike.
  4. Bentley

Bentley Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the SW Motech guards on my 1100gs. I had heard that they would not work with aftermarket front shock (says so on their website AFTER I bought them). They weren't kidding. They will not work with Ohlins shocks due to the slightly larger diameter of the Ohlins front spring interfering with a bracket. I had a buddy do a simple cut and weld on the offending bracket ($20) and made it work.

I don't know if this applies to an 1150, or if they have subsequently redesigned the guards.

Ben
  5. bereahorn

bereahorn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Ben. That's what I was trying to convey in my previous post. I just visited their site(Twisted Throttle) and they apparently have modified the original version because they now state the guards will work with Ohlins on the 1150GS.