Insurance for Asia

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Telkwa7, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Telkwa7

Telkwa7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading to Russia and riding across to Europe via Mongolia, 'stans, etc. Can anyone recommend third party insurance supplier.
    Thanks.
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Travelling a large country on a small bike
    You will probably need to get it at the border of each country, unlike a green card for Europe or comesa for Africa I am fairly sure there is no single coverage for multiple countries in Asia.
  3. Telkwa7

Telkwa7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We crossed Timor Leste, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bruni, Thailand, Myanmar, India, Nepal, Pakistan. The only country we got insurance for was Thailand, we got it at the border. Malaysia you are suppose to get it, but somehow it didn't happen. I am not encouraging you do this. But be aware insurance or not, if you have an accident and regardless of circumstances, you as a foreigner will be deemed responsible, no ifs or buts about it. Then it's a matter of negotiating a cost. This is Asia and this is generally how it works.
    Pecha72 likes this.
  5. Sanibel

Sanibel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing the same ride. Is insurance required or just wise?
  6. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Travelling a large country on a small bike
    Required everywhere but not always easily available and as has been said often useless in an accident where as a foreigner you will be expected to pay up regardless of fault. I personally look for it at borders but have occasionally been unable to get any and have proceeded with utmost caution without.