Insurance questions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Flash_old, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I begin to systematically ask for quotes from a dozen insurance companies - I thought I'd look to the experience of everyone else.

Current coverage with USAA:

No deductible comprehensive.
    $500 deductible collision.
    $300k per person medical.

$50 per month.

-thanks

Flash
  2. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I'd be interested in what you pay.

I'm mainly curious if I am being fleeced or not.

Oh - I forgot to mention that the bike is a '96 1100GS
  3. Road Dog

Road Dog Tough Adventure Wanderer

Oddometer:
    For a '97 Kawasaki ZX11
    Rider plan thru GMAC

50K bodily injury each person
    25K property damage
    10K Passenger liability each person
    10K uninsured motorist bodily injury each person
    $200 Ded Comprehensive
    $200 Ded Collision
    $200 Ded Accessory coverage ($1500)

$480 per year now, increased from $417 in '97.
    No discounts except "touring bike" and I'm >45 yrs old.

I can't compare the $300K medical but otherwise you could look for a better deal.
  4. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    WOW!
    Exact same coverage as Razor with Progressive in Tucson was over $1400 when I bought my bike in April...Got the exact same coverage from Dairyland for about $800.
    Regrettably Amica who handles the rest of my insurance-autos, home, excess liability, and k+r does not cover motorcycles....
  5. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    Big Twin Cycles in Boise recommended Fernet Insurance in Orlando Fl (www.fernet.com) The got me 100/300/25, uninsured at 25/50, $250 deductible for $309. That is for a 2001 R1150GS with a 54 year old male rider, 10% for Riders course, and 10% discount for ABS. They were great to work with and very responsive. They will fax you a quote.
  6. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    If they won't cover your bikes, why let them at your other stuff?
    I won't go near state farm because of that. my insurance company got snotty about my house and I told them it was all or nothing. You get the policies on the car, the house, me, the bikes or you can piss off.

ANd Geico has provided money for radar, lidar research as well as providing equipment to police departments at discount.

as for the deductible when a garage tipover is 3k and aftermarket replacement parts come under 1k if you do the work yourself...the deductible can be steep and provide a cheaper rate.
  7. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    Ok...had to dig the actual policy out of my intricate filing pile.

Bodily injury liability 100,000/300,000
    Property damage liability 25,000
    Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury 25,000/50,000
    Guest Passenger liability 100,000/300,000
    Collision Actual cash value/ 250 deduct
    Comprehensive ACV/250 deduct
    Fire and Theft ACV/250 deduct
    Premier pkg ACV/ 7,500 max
    ie. stuff I buy and install including helmet loss in an accident (up to $500) and coverage up to $500 for damage to safety apparel (both of these are loss caused by an accident) also includes $50 per day/ $200 max trip interruption payment if loss occurs over 100 miles from home (does not exclude beer).

The Company issuing the policy is Universal Underwriters Insurance Company (Recreational Products Insurance Division)
    Annual premium is $309 with 10% discounts for Riders Course and ABS brakes.

And I hope I never have to find out how good this coverage really is. Hope this helps. If you want specific policy definitions just email me at drholm@aol.com and I will be glad to fax them to you.
  8. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    Guess this is really more of a rant...but since we're on the subject of insurance, a little sad tale is in order. I had Allstate cover my homeowner's, vehicles, business, $1,000,000 umbrella policy and boat insurance. I had the boat pulled out of the water for work and took the marine radio out and put it in the back of my Blazer, drove home and parked in the underground security garage at my condo. During the night some dopers broke in, hot wired a car and ripped off every vehicle in the garage...and stole the boat radio. Because it was a "radio" and their auto coverage did not cover thefts of "radios" from vehicles, they declined to cover the loss. They actually looked me in the eye and admitted that if I had left the radio on the garage floor next to the car and it was stolen, they would have covered it. Moral of the story...insurance companies do not make money by paying claims and they have more fine print to help them duck coverage than you can understand in a lifetime. "You pays your money and you takes your chances" Thanks...I needed that!
  9. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Yep.... you nailed it.

I won't have Geico.

A good friend & doctor says that Geico is the absolute worst about paying for patient injuries resulting from an accident. Says that they will try every trick in the book to avoid paying.

That's enough for me to not want them. I depend on my vehicle insurance to take care of expenses for an injury.... the last thing I want is to get sued by the injured party because Geico won't pay up.

Maybe they prioritize their marketing budget for TV ads above paying claims.

You don't really know how good your insurance is until you need it. By then, it's too late.
  10. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told that many insurance companies do not “automatically” cover after market parts. (Also see this months Motorcycle Consumer News for more on this.) If you put an exhaust, a GPS, crash bars and tank bags you could be into a few thousand dollars of things NOT covered. Someone mentioned that they got coverage for the Jessy luggage (almost a grand right there), and after crashing on them, was delighted to see the insurance (cal insurance I think) pay for this. (Humm I wonder if they cover my crash bars too!) Any case, I will defiantly put additional insurance (and photograph the items) so this piece of mind is covered. As I recall it was about $50-$75 bucks (annually) and it was reduced on each anniversary of the policy.

Everyone should already know, when you cross the border (like Mexico) you should buy additional insurance there. But be forewarned, it’s a joke if you ever expect to make a claim! I’m betting on my New York Chain to help “add” to my insurance when I go this weekend!

Has anyone ever purchased Mexico (or other) insurance and tried to make a claim? I’d be interested in hearing how it went.
  11. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far I have stuck with my USAA insurance (yes, i'm a slacker) - but I am interested in what DrHolm posted - I'll let ya'll know how the quotes turns out.

-Flash
  12. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    Unless things have changed in recent years, the only reason we ever bought Mexican auto insurance was to stay out of jail if you were in an accident. We never considered actually collecting on a claim. Just buy it before you cross the border and have it ready to show the Federales. Your primary coverage should be through your US insurer. Some will let you buy a rider to cover trips (be sure to check and see how far into Mexico they will cover you) and some will cover you as a standard condition in the policy. One more time: DO NOT enter Mexico without insurance (and it never hurts to have a few hundred dollars in small bills to speed up the "judicial" process if you are in an accident). Bear in mind that the Mexican judicial system is 180 out from ours. There, you are GUILTY until proven innocent and sometimes that means spending a night or two in a VERY unpleasant place if you can't buy your way out. Adios!