1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Intercontinental Rally 2019 (IR 1019)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by webnetxpress, Jun 10, 2018.

1. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am registered for this rally. Anyone else in the ADVRider forums going to be there too?

www.intercontinentalrally.com

Jan 21 to Feb 3. Spain to Dakkar. 6000km. 14 days.

Should be epic!

route.jpg
    BLucare, choutos and barrier like this.
  2. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    A quick bio-

I'm a novice/rookie to offroad riding and racing. I have only been offroad riding for 2 years, prior to this I was strictly a street rider and track days. I currently race in the Senegalese Rally federation. The longest rally so far has been a 3 day 900km rally, made up of 5 special sections over 3 days. About 85% of all the riding we do in Dakar is sand, deep sand.

For the IR 2019 I will be racing with Club Aventura Touareg out of Spain. The bike is a 2018 KTM 450. I wanted to use my own bike but the logistics and costs of shipping, spare parts, mechanic rental, bivouac support etc quickly added up and it became obvious that my best chance for completing the race was to go with a race team.

Now I am in full training mode. Every spare minute over the next 6 months will be spent riding. This last month I have been taking it easy and recovering from my last mx race. This older body doesn't recover from sprains like it did a few years ago!

I have a 2 day rally I will compete in at the end of June. That will be the final race of the season here in Senegal. Then in October I will travel to Morocco for an 8 day 3500km training week on the race bike. The time in Morocco will be spent dialing in the bike for me, familiarizIng myself with it, learning navigation and practicing desert and dune riding.

Gear wise I am pretty well set up. I have all my gear dialed in and will be racing in the same gear that I am riding in right now. Only change are customized jackets and jerseys. The AWS rally jacket and jersey have been ordered and should be shipped in a week! I still need to figure out what gear I will carry with me in a pack, what pack I will use, etc. Riding for 8-12 hours a day unsupported is going to be a lot different than my rallys I have done so far. I will need to rethink my packs and what I choose to carry with me and what can stay on the support truck.

It seems like plenty of time to get prepared but I predict the months will sneak by fast!
    barrier likes this.
  3. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Already 27 motor bikes in the race! Enjoy the preparations.
  4. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    I know. 65 participants total so far!
  5. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greatttt
    [​IMG]
  6. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    Happy 4th of July everyone!!

I woke up this morning and looked at the IR website.... ONLY 201 DAYS LEFT BEFORE THE START!

Omg. Time to get cracking! Time to get in shape. Train. Ride. Train some more and ride ALL THE TIME!

I had some people ask about documenting the lead up to and the actual race. So here we go.
  7. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    barrier likes this.
  8. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
  9. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    Any questions, ask away.
    Any advice, give it!
  10. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    Some pics of the new gear
    20180706_071137.jpg
    20180706_071123.jpg
    20180706_071047.jpg
    BLucare likes this.
  11. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    This gives a good idea of just how much ground is covered in the IR. Crazy to think about it. Racing a dirt bike from anchorage to Miami!!! 20180725_175429.png
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  12. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck I hope to meet you at the Lac rose 14th of January
  13. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Hope to see you at Lac Rose too!
  14. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Will you be selling your shirts to support your racing?
    Asking as we share the same surname!:lol3
    Good luck, ride safe.
  15. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, i might be persuaded to sell a t-shirt, not the racing jersey! I have some t-shirts arriving at the end of the month, will see how they look...
    barrier likes this.
  16. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
  17. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With only 2yrs of dirt experience how did you get into this?
  18. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good they upped the medics, hope it is not needed. Last year no one needed medical help, which is is exceptional for a rally. Everybody knew med support was limited and the riding was accordingly.
  19. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Let me think about that.
    Lifelong dream? Hard work? Super duper off-road skills (not!)?

Lots and lots of bravado and stupidity! Yep that's the one!!

The long story (apologies to those folks that I put to sleep with this)-
    20+ year street and track rider. Decide before moving to Dakar that a street bike would be ridiculous here so buy an offroad 'adventure' bike. Take a class in Trials riding (2 days only). Spend 6 months singletrack and woods riding. Move to Dakar and decide the 'adventure' bike is not the weapon of choice for desert/sand riding. Pick up a KTM 450 enduro rocket bike! That's when it really began.

Spend every spare moment riding in the sand, up the beach, across our 'desert' bushland. Watch tons of YouTube videos on dirt riding and buy a few books to read.

Sometime in my first year offroading in Dakar I meet some of the local racers and rally raiders. They convince me to join the racing league and participate. I eventually upgrade to a KTM 500 bike for my racing.

That's the how.

I have no way to compare how I'm doing or how much time I'm dedicating to riding compared to others. First year I put 110 hours on the bike off-road. This year I should easily hit 170-200 with all my training and racing. How does that compare to others outside of my world here??

I race competitively in the Senegalese Rally/Raid circuit. I took 2nd place nationally this past season. It was a steep learning curve. I was very lucky.
    I also race sometimes in the Senegalese MX circuit. But I'm not competitive. I just do it for the experience (and pain).

I figured since I was in this region there would be no other chance in my life to participate in one of the big, epic rallys. Bucket list item. So I researched the different rallys. Looking for one following the roots of the Paris-Dakar rally. It comes down to basically The Dakar, The Africa EcoRace, and the IR. Between the 3 the difference is $$ and skill.

IR - amateur
    Africa EcoRace - pro
    Dakar - pro

Money wise these are just ballparks. For complete bike rental, support, registration. It can be done cheaper if you ride your own bike, don't need any spare parts, etc.

IR- $15k
    AER- $45k
    DAKAR- $90k

Some riders in our league are pro level and race in the Dakar and the AER. They told me I should do the AER. But honestly the cost would mean I would need to actively pursue sponsors and I just don't have that kind of time. With the IR I am able to do it on my own. I do have one equipment sponsor (Sena) and hopefully will get a clothing/gear sponsor soon.

My goal for the IR is to finish the 2 weeks and arrive in Dakar at the famous Lac Rose. I don't expect to be competitive. But you never know. I had the same thoughts in the Senegal league and ended up surprising everyone. But racing 2 or 3 days in a row is a LOT different than racing 2 weeks and 6000km. I really need to ride at about 80% and conserve my body and my bike to make it to the end. Be smart and navigate well.

There you go. Sorry for the rant.
  20. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That completely satisfied my curiosity. Thank you for fully answering my question!

The reason I asked was because I think we’re in the same boat. Rally racing is a bucket list item for me as well. I don’t think I’ll make it to a big one like the IR but I’d like to do something like the the Sonora Rally or another navigational rally closer to home. I will be following along and cheering you on!! God Speed!!